rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
fragglerock

Chvrches

Well what a fantastic band.

Does anyone have any hookie rare/bootleg things hanging around a hard drive anywhere?

I remember this interview with Iain Cook but did not really notice the music!

https://www.subcity.org/shows/checkpoints/712b1/

Interesting pod about Clearest Blue

http://songexploder.net/chvrches

2016 Glasto set.

Bloody brilliant! 

• Upvote 3

I am fairly certain I had some classes at uni with Lauren Mayberry. Certainly she wrote for the uni paper at the time and I remember my pure hardcore punk feminist pal who has great taste in music and knew every one mentioning her friend's band being good. That was chuvrches and like 6 months later they blew up really fast. 

I like them a lot, it's a type of music that is very easy to fuck up or sound too 80s.. 

11 minutes ago, Unofficial Who said:

This is possibly my favourite at the moment, possibly because the music video is amazing

i know its "not the point" but my first thought ,was can i watch this in 4k as it really needs some AA! lol

They've got a new album on the way incidentally, and have three new singles out. I wasn't blown away by Get Out, but I rather like My Enemy and Never Say Die.

I still really like them. Hoping to see them live again this year. :)

On 03/04/2018 at 15:25, Mogster said:

They've got a new album on the way incidentally, and have three new singles out. I wasn't blown away by Get Out, but I rather like My Enemy and Never Say Die.

I still really like them. Hoping to see them live again this year. :)

Funnily enough I probably like Get Out best from their new material, Never Say Die is a good album track though.

Nothing to match their last record so far though, this remains my favourite

I thought it was fun that the two vinyl editions of the new album are on clear vinyl and blue vinyl. Guessing a nod to the stand out track on the last album (and THAT break in the song is just amazing, especially when I saw them live in Brighton. She’s an amazing frontwoman, really owns the stage when I was expecting something a bit more mild mannered)

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 14:28, Unofficial Who said:

This is possibly my favourite at the moment, possibly because the music video is amazing

Hayley Williams adds nothing to that.

16 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Indeed, and she's not in the album version. She's fine in it though, just a bit superfluous.

• Upvote 1

On 05/04/2018 at 18:34, SharkyOB said:

Not sure if it's a record label promo thing (like the equally pointless Hayley / Taylor Swift stuff), or if they just respect and like one another's music, but Lauren joined Paramore on stage when I saw them live in Edinburgh last year:

Since then, I arrived late to the game, gave Chvrches a listen, and fell in love with the first 2 albums.  Not convinced on the new songs though.

23 hours ago, fragglerock said:

New album is out. 

And early impressions can be characterised thus:

Why the hell didn't they choose Graves, Forever or Graffiti as flyer singles? - they slip comfortably into the pantheon of Chvrches most infectious moments and would have been far better suited to radio friendly airplay than the 4 tracks they chose previously.

Get Out, Never Say Die and Miracle have really grown on me and work well in the context of the record - but none of them match the highlights of The Bones of What You Believe In or Every Open Eye.

My Enemy is still a bit of a dirge

God's Plan really sounds like its wandered off a Depeche Mode album circa Violator and is as out of place as every other male vocal lead on a Chvrches album

Really Gone is probably the best fragile ballad they've recorded

Heaven/Hell and Wonderland are proper 80s electro power ballad smashes with a real wall of sound

Not sure that recruiting Greg Krustin has made that much overall difference to the band's sound - this is no Tegan and Sara reinvention - if anything much of the album is slightly less cleanly pop than Every Open Eye.

Overall its another very accomplished Chvrches album.  I was a tad concerned from the singles that they may have run out of steam but the record really hangs together well and I doubt that anyone who has affection for their earlier material will be disappointed, but at the same time I can't see this being a break out album into the stratosphere - its probably a weaker record than Every Open Eye and whilst its more consistent than Bones, it lacks a killer moment like We Sink.  Its certainly not the bold primary coloured pop explosion that was suggested in the pre release interviews - its still very much a Chvrches album.

But thats just after 3 listens...

• Upvote 2

I’m rather disappointed by it. There's a real lack of surprise or killer hooks throughout. The production has changed but for the worse; it’s all a bit bland and polished with little of the raw anger (and analogue-ness) of the first two albums’ instrumentation. 

It it seems to me that they had a back-catalogue of really good songs for the first two albums, whereas they actually had to sit down and write everything from scratch for this new one, and it shows. 

I remember being wowed so much by Every Open Eye that it was a struggle to pick my favourite track. With this one, I’m struggling to pick one I can remember and want to listen to again. 

im kinda new to chvrches...but am loving this .. WATERPARK GOFFS!!!!!! this makes me happy, as a big hairy metal head...AS THATS WHAT WE WOULD BE LIKE!!! :D

On 26/05/2018 at 15:18, superfunk said:

I’m rather disappointed by it. There's a real lack of surprise or killer hooks throughout. The production has changed but for the worse; it’s all a bit bland and polished with little of the raw anger (and analogue-ness) of the first two albums’ instrumentation. 

I really like chvrches but I've never heard any raw anger in their music.