rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Flub

Tera - MMO. Now on console

Tera the old actiony MMO from the PC has launched on consoles. It's not terrible from what I remember on the PC but it's very MMO. I thought it'd start a thread in case anyone is thinking of giving it a try. If you have Twitch Prime (Free with Amazon Prime) you get a free code for a twitch founders pack which will save you about 25 quid.

Thinking about it. It'll probably play better on a controller that it did on mouse/kb.

You could use a controller on the PC too. It worked great to be fair. The questing is very early WoW (go kill 20 mobs) and the character design is a bit questionable (the Elin race ffs), but the combat is great fun and it's a genuinely beautiful game to get lost in at times.

I also remember really enjoying the dungeons, because success felt far more dependent on skill rather than gear/level etc than the momo's that came before it.

I remember from the short time I played it that people who chose to play Elins were not popular with other players :)

I tried to go back to the PC version a few times but almost every time I ran into the long standing bug they've never bothered fixing where you literally can't finish the install. The one time I did get it installed I couldn't remember how to play my archer and gave up again. 

I'm not paying for it so I suppose I'll give it another bash.

The combat is the best of any mmo I've played, particularly playing as a tank class. With skill and patience, you can solo anything in the game because blocking is something you have to do yourself, rather than it being some RNG dice roll beyond your control. 

Myself, @Rikku and @Scruff had a great old time on it a few years ago. 

Is it Tera that has the Tim Burton Nightmare area?

I think it was the lack of people and the incredibly creepy pre-teen fetish the game has that stopped me playing. Great fun if my addled memory serves me correct.

11 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Is it Tera that has the Tim Burton Nightmare area?

Yup.

The game was a lot of fun but I remember dropping off it because the quests themselves were all the worst kind of MMO quest.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

I wonder what this guy thinks of the console release... lol.

cBXNg1k.png

I just googled him. Looks like he plays every MMO going and never really sticks at them :)

4 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

I'm not going to play this again, so if anyone wants my Twitch Prime loot (doesn't say exactly what it is) give me a PM. Works on PS4 and One apparently.

Oh I've got something too as I'm subscribed to Twitch Prime. I'm never going to play it, so PM me if you're interested. Valid until April 9th.

Prime Loot - TERA: PlayStation4 - Xbox One

Tera In-Game Loot: Mar 27 – Apr 9

Get Head Start Access to the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One versions of TERA, plus 15 Days of Elite Status, an exclusive dragon pet that collects loot for you, a Purple Plasma Weapon Skin, Crown of Gold accessory, and more!

EDIT: oh yeah and no people asking for this having just registered with the forum for the sole purpose of nabbing freebies, obvs 

EDIT2: gone to @Theholyhogg!

• Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, Flub said:

I just googled him. Looks like he plays every MMO going and never really sticks at them :)

That could be anyone here then! ;) 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, df0 said:

Ooh, I love the look of the Baraka. Like in any MMO, biggest race is best race.

Have you not played this then deef? It's basically an action arcade game with MMO added into the mix. Easily the best implementation of the combat in any MMO game I've played.

15 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Have you not played this then deef? It's basically an action arcade game with MMO added into the mix. Easily the best implementation of the combat in any MMO game I've played.

Apart from Black Desert Online

Never played this scruff. I'll give it a try for free when it becomes available, create a Baraka (or a big busty babe clad in a skimpy bikini), play for several levels before I forget about it. Just like I did with Dungeon & Dragons, and Skyforge.

God, it's miles better than either of those deef. Tanking is properly holding a shield in the direction of the attack and manually blocking it (with your team mates behind you). It's great fun and only as Sie says, the fact the grind is an honest to goodness grind once you get past the early levels.

Some of the healing classes are quite unique too if I remember.

Looking forward to some tanking, been a long time since I game up WoW and a more action orientated combat sounds cool. Thinking Baraka Lancer from first look while I wait for the 45GB download to finish....

There are two I think. One which is easy to play (I think it's Priest) and another which is more complex but more powerful. I can't remember what it's called.