rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Random Key

I've made a game - Yoxall VR

Hi Rllmuk, I'm a long time reader/lurker on the forum. For a very long time I've tinkered with creating my own games. I've just released a cardboard VR game on google play store and I wanted to show it off.

*Link is dead*

It's a retro style casual game sort of similar to Qix or paper.io but it is in VR3D and the grid you play on surrounds you. Please check it out.

• Upvote 9

That looks really cool, but my device is not compatible to play it. Any chance of a non VR version?

Sorry about that, unfortunately it's a big issue with creating for Mobile VR.

I was considering converting it to non-VR, I'll have to see how well it works and if there is a demand.

Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. Just would love to try it out and support a fellow forumite.

I had Gear VR up until just last week but my new S9+ didn't fit so it's been donated to the new owner of my old phone, my mother. Wish I'd kept that and my S7 as a dedicated Oculus setup. Anyway probably get the one compatible with my phone soon so will give it a try. Good luck. 

• Upvote 1

Seems harsh to get all of those 1 star reviews just because you don't support the Xbox controller.  Is it difficult to add support for that, though?  If that's the main controller people want to use, then it'd be worth adding it in if you can.

The game itself looks interesting enough, although it's hard to tell how it plays from the video.  Is your viewpoint in the centre of the play area, and you need to look all around you to see the entire grid?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Is your viewpoint in the centre of the play area, and you need to look all around you to see the entire grid?

Yep, exactly that.

Is it difficult to add support for that, though?  If that's the main controller people want to use, then it'd be worth adding it in if you can.

No, it shouldn't be hard I just don't currently have a bluetooth xbox controller. When developing it I supported what I thought was the standard input for GearVR (stratusXL).

I've played it a bit and my initial impression is good.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the reviews. The gearvr reviews have always been awful, sub google play store game review level idiocy/entitlement.

I think it feels a bit like an old vfd game in terms of the gameplay, movement and sounds.

It controls fine with my ipega bluetooth controller.

As a fan of old simple arcade games and the aforementioned vfd games, it definitely had "something" that made me want to keep trying.

That said, I was trying to figure out the mechanics/rules but don't feel like I quite understand and it's stopping me from properly playing the game. 

Perhaps you can explain them :)

An "enemy" orange block sometimes seemed to make a beeline for my area as soon as the game started, whereas other times it left me alone to do my own thing. Is there some sort of logic behind the enemy behavior (based on what I do) or just random?

How does "attacking" work? Any time I hit an orange area I died.

Why do some of the blocks inside the area I've drawn not get colored in sometimes?

Are the powerups just points?

Is it just a case of expanding my area slowly and hoping for the best? Is there a more agressive style of play?

I think I "killed" the enemy a few times inadvertantly when he made contact with my area. How does this work?

Is there a method of attacking/not immediately losing as soon as I make contact with an orange block.

Anyway, I like the game, but it could REALLY do with a better attempt at an  explanation of the mechanics/goal.

Best not to assume that people have played the games it's inspired by :)

Without an explanation of the mechanics I can see how someone who randomly downloads it would just give up and move on as opposed to struggling to figure the rules out for themselves.

• Upvote 1

Hard to tell exactly what the game is from the video, but it certainly looks interesting. Any plans on bringing it to the Vive? Would be happy to give it a go if you do.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, FozZ said:

Hard to tell exactly what the game is from the video, but it certainly looks interesting. Any plans on bringing it to the Vive? Would be happy to give it a go if you do.

I don't have a vive and I'm not sure it would work as well. I've kept it very basic with a fixed point in the center of the world that you look from. I'm not sure that would work as well on a vive, but I've got no experience of room scale, so I don't really know! 

3 hours ago, partious said:

I've played it a bit and my initial impression is good.

I wouldn't pay much attention to the reviews. The gearvr reviews have always been awful, sub google play store game review level idiocy/entitlement.

I think it feels a bit like an old vfd game in terms of the gameplay, movement and sounds.

It controls fine with my ipega bluetooth controller.

As a fan of old simple arcade games and the aforementioned vfd games, it definitely had "something" that made me want to keep trying.

That said, I was trying to figure out the mechanics/rules but don't feel like I quite understand and it's stopping me from properly playing the game. 

Perhaps you can explain them :)

An "enemy" orange block sometimes seemed to make a beeline for my area as soon as the game started, whereas other times it left me alone to do my own thing. Is there some sort of logic behind the enemy behavior (based on what I do) or just random?

How does "attacking" work? Any time I hit an orange area I died.

Why do some of the blocks inside the area I've drawn not get colored in sometimes?

Are the powerups just points?

Is it just a case of expanding my area slowly and hoping for the best? Is there a more agressive style of play?

I think I "killed" the enemy a few times inadvertantly when he made contact with my area. How does this work?

Is there a method of attacking/not immediately losing as soon as I make contact with an orange block.

Anyway, I like the game, but it could REALLY do with a better attempt at an  explanation of the mechanics/goal.

Without an explanation of the mechanics I can see how someone who randomly downloads it would just give up and move on as opposed to struggling to figure the rules out for themselves.

Wow partious, I don't think you know how chuffed I am that I've gotten decent feedback!

OK - Rules.

you have 3:20 mins to complete the grid. You do not have to fill every square, just surround every tower with your colour and turn them blue (there are 54 towers).

Enemies can kill you by crossing your hatched path, enemies cannot enter your solid blue area.

You can kill enemies by crossing their hatched path. You cannot enter their solid orange area (you can only enter the enemies area if you are invincible).

The >> power-up makes you travel twice as fast for 25 seconds.

The * power-up makes you invincible for 10 seconds.

Press the A button to activate the power-up.

You score points by claiming space and killing enemies each tile you fill is worth 1 point. If you surround a tower you get 1000 points, and if you kill an enemy you get 100 points.

To make it a little harder you cannot always fill space when crossing boundaries (dark blue hatched edges of the cube). This is just so you cannot travel the circumference and fill a half of the grid. Generally, if you cross the boundary area and return within a 2 - 3 block spacing it will fill.

The amount of enemies is random 3 -4. in future I am hoping to increase it to 5 all the time, but currently the performance suffers with that many enemies.

3 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

@Random Key - I just wanted to say well done for actually developing something and releasing it, twice. 

:) thanks Kryptonian!

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, partious said:

but it could REALLY do with a better attempt at an  explanation of the mechanics/goal.

I totally agree, but most of the people who have downloaded it haven't even read that it requires a joypad. ;-)

16 hours ago, Random Key said:

I don't have a vive and I'm not sure it would work as well. I've kept it very basic with a fixed point in the center of the world that you look from. I'm not sure that would work as well on a vive, but I've got no experience of room scale, so I don't really know! 

Plenty of games as you've described work fine on the Vive. You'd need to make sure the camera aligned to the HMD position, and had a reset button to return you to the fixed point you already have (just don't reset the orientation). Beyond that you shouldn't need any changes. Are you using Unity / UE4 or another engine?

50 minutes ago, Random Key said:

It's been done in unity, so yeah is should be easy. I'll have to save up for a vive!

Well it's up to you, but if you wanted to send the Unity project over I'd be happy to see how it currently behaves on the Vive (I'm a games artist professionally but I do the odd bit of scripting and have done setups for VR in Unity and UE4 in the past). Completely understand if you're not comfortable doing that but the offer's there.