rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Plums

Blenders/Food processors

I've been wanting to buy one for literally years, I think today might be the day. Anything that is a must buy? How much should I look to spend? Ones to avoid?

I don't want anything fancy that cooks and kneads and makes cakes or anything, just something that's not too small (I'm thinker bigger than a nutribullet) but without a huge footprint. I'll mostly use it for soup and veg and blending nuts and things to make delicious vegan macaroni cheese (I'll admit the thought of this is what has driven me to actually buy one).

I have a big magimix food processor i rarely use as takes up lot of space and generates lots of washing up (plus the blades always seem to lacerate my hands cleaning them). Does a few things but always seems a faff to use and creates as much work as it saves.

Use my vitamix a bit more as cleanup much easier and its built to last, feels bombproof, but its basically a glorified nutribullet, its good but expensive.

probably not quite what you after but my Bamix stick blender and this cheapo zyliss get used all the time

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XYRVZHI/ref=asc_df_B00XYRVZHI51106592/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22110&creativeASIN=B00XYRVZHI&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218884797580&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5171500590720343977&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9044934&hvtargid=pla-385857546899&th=1&psc=1

and yes, i do love a kitchen gadget

I got a vitamix refurbished from John Lewis a few months ago and it's been a revelation. It munches through everything and it's opened up a whole world of stuff for me.

I've been making my own vegan cheese, mayo etc and it makes recipes so much easier. I've used mine to make vegan mac & cheese and it's worth it for that alone.

It looks like the price has gone up a bit since I got mine, but they still have them in stock and it's much cheaper than elsewhere.
https://www.johnlewis.com/vitamix-reconditioned-blender/p2309337?colour=Black

On 24/03/2018 at 15:17, Gotters said:

I have a big magimix food processor i rarely use as takes up lot of space and generates lots of washing up (plus the blades always seem to lacerate my hands cleaning them). Does a few things but always seems a faff to use and creates as much work as it saves.

We have a Magimix as well and this is an incredibly accurate description of it. To make matters worse, it was a gift and costs £300+ so I constantly feel like I’m just too stupid to use it correctly and that if it costs that much it must actually be brilliant. 

I hate the thing. Even making something as simple as a smoothie creates so much washing up it’s unreal. 

I literally sliced my finger today cleaning the blade to my blender. It's so sharp and curved that you don't even realise it's happened. I swear one day I'm just going to lift my hands out of the sink and there will be a missing finger.

Still very happy with the blender. The design means it's very easy to lift the whole thing in operation and sort of swirl it about to make sure everything gets a good blending. Only downside really is that you need to keep your hand on it to keep it running, so if you wanted to blend something for a while then it's not the best.