The Bread Thread.

I made soup again.

I'm blaming either the bread flour I bought, or the stand mixer for this because this time I didn't autolyse overnight. After it turned to soup I managed to knead it back into a smooth dough, did my stretch and folds, got it shaped but at this point it was like a water baloon. 

I've just cut into it and despite being a little flat shaped it's the first loaf I've done with big holes in the crumb.

I’ve never made bread before outside a bread maker but having really got into pizza dough I want to start, I’ve bought a 2lb tin and want to start at the bottom with a basic recipe but thought I’d ask in here as there seems to be a wealth of knowledge!

So, hit me with your basic white loaf recipe!

• 7 months later...

Does anyone have a bread maker/do you use it much?

I'm considering buying one, ideally one that's easy to use and not too big and it would be good to get any recommends.

• 1 month later...

More 'sourdough in lockdown' cliche. Been at it for a few weeks and just made this loaf which is starting to get there:

Bread1_1.3.1.thumb.jpg.16aaca8e700f186aa97e704759cf032d.jpg

Bread1_1.5.1.thumb.jpg.6b6701ecc7dfb428479d2277280a24cd.jpg

Good oven spring, a reasonable ear despite my terrible scoring and some nice blistering. All signs of a decent loaf I'm led to believe. 

Bread1_1.1.1.thumb.jpg.ff27048e2ea68722b987088da625707a.jpg

Good crumb, nice and airy, quite even too. Most importantly, absolutely delicious with some butter and marmalade.

That looks great, better than all my efforts!

I made a load last weekend with some starter my friend from work sent me - somehow as I was transferring it into the cast iron I deflated all of the air out of it and it came out like a rock.

On 19/03/2021 at 19:10, Gaz said:

I made a load last weekend with some starter my friend from work sent me - somehow as I was transferring it into the cast iron I deflated all of the air out of it and it came out like a rock.

Are you using a Banneton? Not necessary but maybe with a thin / fine tea towel dusted to fuck with rice flour, and in a circular bowl for a bit, in the fridge, will help it rise in boule shape, and then it's easier to tip it out into a pan or something without much handling. 

That's how it goes for me with a banneton and keeps it shape. I find that the time in the fridge makes it firmer and less likely to deflate and easier to score.

I've been putting a bit of sugar, yoghurt and olive oil in my sourdoughs lately. Fat and sugar will soften the dough so it's less tough and chewy, and let gum-cutting on the crust when it's toasted.

I think it's going well? It's not a lot, and I am doing it by eye as a little judgement so i'm not even sure how much I'm adding. I think it adds just a touch of richness to the crumb. My initial thoughts are it keeps it a little softer and fresher for longer before the starch fully crystallises and so it's making it nicer for sandwiches but it's hard to know because we eat it so goddamn fast it's hard to know how long it'd actually last. It's shocking really. a 600kg flour loaf is basically gone 2 days later between toast, sandwiches, and more toast with an afternoon cup of tea. My mum sent me some absolutely amazing home made marmalade which has only made things worse.

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/03/2021 at 19:10, Gaz said:

Sounds perhaps like over fermentation. Easily done I've come to realise. One handy trick is to put a little (30g or so) of your mix into an aliquot jar shortly after adding the levain and salt. Once it's doubled in size you know it's about time to shape and either bake or stick in the fridge overnight. 

On 23/03/2021 at 17:24, cowfields said:

Are you using a Banneton? Not necessary but maybe with a thin / fine tea towel dusted to fuck with rice flour, and in a circular bowl for a bit, in the fridge, will help it rise in boule shape, and then it's easier to tip it out into a pan or something without much handling. 

That's how it goes for me with a banneton and keeps it shape. I find that the time in the fridge makes it firmer and less likely to deflate and easier to score.

On 02/04/2021 at 23:38, petrolgirls said:

Sounds perhaps like over fermentation. Easily done I've come to realise. One handy trick is to put a little (30g or so) of your mix into an aliquot jar shortly after adding the levain and salt. Once it's doubled in size you know it's about time to shape and either bake or stick in the fridge overnight. 

I've done a couple of loaves since and I'm starting to see better results, so thanks for this! My latest one is much more airy and bubbly inside but it also tastes watery somehow - maybe underbaked or too much starter? 

I let it bulk ferment overnight in the fridge and then shaped it up and let it rise on the counter until lunch time. I baked it without the cast iron so I didn't have to try and get it into the pot which I think threw the times off. I'm pretty sure I didn't bake it for long enough and judging by the bit of the dough I put to one side, I could have let it rise a bit longer.

I'm getting a banneton next week, so that should help but I might try it on my mate's baking steel instead next time instead of going back to the pot.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm really inaccurate with my measurements. Especially with the starter. I figure that the unknown variables, eg how much water, when you last fed it, how much warmth there was, means that the weight becomes a little meaningless. As long as you did a sponge and after doing it for a while a little more or less water doesn't make much odds. It's something that you can do a bit by feel, I think. At least, if you do it often enough. I was at a point where I was baking a loaf every week, or 2 loaves every 2 weeks so just got a sense of it all. 

So in a way it's hard to give advice on how much or little to do everything. I guess a large part is knowing your oven and equipment. My Lodge dutch oven was such a game changer for me considering you can do it 'upside down' and there's no difficulty of getting it in. Steam is important to baking I think so I think a hot base but otherwise open fan oven might not be the best at getting it baked through. Dunno though. 

I recently bought a square bread loaf tin as I wanted good sandwich toaster bread and it has a slidey top so I'm gonna try sourdough in that. The plan was to do a normal loaf, milk loaf or whatever to do a better version of the chorleywood sandwich stuff, but not sure if a sourdough inside will be weird. Occasionally the round hump shaped slices are irritating

I preheat the 'pan' part of the lodge so that's really hot and an oven in an oven, so with that covering the bread I think that initial shock really gets a good spring. 

I got a bread maker last week, which was a late Xmas present from the parents as I’d not seen them since October. One of the entry level Panasonic ones I think. 

Did a whole meal loaf last week which was OK but did the first basic white loaf today and really pleased with how it came out. Tasted good too. 

31D8E3C4-E7A6-4F6E-AADD-C046BC14CD47.thumb.jpeg.68b8bb9996c33453a4e34a25e7d2ec3b.jpeg02280064-3480-4853-98A6-0DF413B60164.thumb.jpeg.4ca613995a794bd0013b17885ad01496.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

43A62D7F-0201-49DF-9661-673D1F4EE12D.thumb.jpeg.433fb5eaec7d7a9579c86d35a173b51e.jpeg

Nice ear on this chap, pure white sourdough at nearly 80% hydration so fun to work with! Used an ice cube in my Dutch oven for the first time which seemed to help with the rise and blistering. 

1 hour ago, petrolgirls said:

43A62D7F-0201-49DF-9661-673D1F4EE12D.thumb.jpeg.433fb5eaec7d7a9579c86d35a173b51e.jpeg

Nice ear on this chap, pure white sourdough at nearly 80% hydration so fun to work with! Used an ice cube in my Dutch oven for the first time which seemed to help with the rise and blistering. 

Can you elaborate on the ice cube thing? 

Is it just stick dough in the Dutch oven as normal but whack in an ice cube on top before adding the lid? I should try that! I sometimes spray the top with a spray water bottle before but with mixed results. 

30 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Can you elaborate on the ice cube thing? 

Is it just stick dough in the Dutch oven as normal but whack in an ice cube on top before adding the lid? I should try that! I sometimes spray the top with a spray water bottle before but with mixed results. 

On the side, not on top! Although i'd like to see how that works out. 

Couple of other recent efforts:

21243E7B-BBA1-40B9-818E-F28B0D89BF20.thumb.jpeg.a43207f8d5f603c86eed64f7d65d9119.jpeg

Seeded white semolina mix. 

5062B806-55B3-48A0-87F5-209E25A89E09.thumb.jpeg.f20823050ca709d0031dbcf9a427b6b7.jpeg

White and rye boule. 

I started on the sourdough path this week and on day 3 of my starter it’s got an area of pink developing:

B0707A12-6826-4651-BD1A-1A1C22DB9A05.thumb.jpeg.f13aa0d4981b571559cfcb1b8bbcc908.jpeg

So far it’s just been 50g flour and 50g water each day, today though I’m supposed to chuck out half before adding the 50/50 mix. 

If I chuck out the half with the pink in it am I good to go, or does it suggest the whole lot is bad and I need to start again?

Edit: Actually looking at that picture on a bigger screen I think I see more bits on pink developing throughout.  I might bin it and try again after sticking the jar through the dishwasher on a hot wash to make sure its totally clean.

Probably fine. Just keep feeding and discarding and see how it goes.  3 days isn't really that long. I think after a while all the booze that's created starts to kill everything else off. 

I find I can judge the health of my starter based on smell. It's funky and gross if it's dying, hungry, or if other stuff is growing, it's less active and so on.

If it's nice and vinegary, beery, and fresh (But still a little funky) and there are lots of foamy bubbles it feels active and good, and the fresh smell tells me that it's killing off everything else. 

I mean I don't really know what I'm talking about, that's just how it goes with me. But the last time I tried to start one from scratch after 3 days it wasn't as fresh smelling as my years old regularly fed (ish) starter.

While I'm pulling suggestions out of my bum, you might also want to change containers every so often. Don't scrape clean the one you move the starter from. Just because I find sometimes bits end up sticking / trying / going funky along the edges of the container and those are the bad / rank / useless bits. 

You should chuck that, @Jonny5 - pink streaks likely a sign of serratia marcescens, not a bacteria you want to eat under any circumstance. 

Have a couple of starter jars, transfer from one to the other when you feed and use a dishwater or boiling water to sterilise each time. I'd recommend your feed is a mix of 80-90% white, 10-20% rye. 

Thanks. I fed it again last night after transferring it to a new jar.

I guess I’ll clean it all down again and start over tonight.