rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
dave7g

Playstation Now

I tried this ages ago (might even have been on the PS3, was it available there?)

It worked really, really well, but ultimately with a backlog like what most of us on here probably have who has time for adding 100s of PS3 games onto it...

Pretty paltry selection compared to Xbox One's more thorough BC though, plus you need the subscription to continue playing them.

Still a good way to try the selection of games compared to before when the streaming's input lag rendered some titles barely playable.

• Upvote 2

So you are allowed to download PS4 games (and the PS2 upmasters, which are also basically PS4 games) to your PS4, and play them subject to a license check. This seems like an ignominious end to all their fancy Gaikai tech.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SozzlyJoe said:

So you are allowed to download PS4 games (and the PS2 upmasters, which are also basically PS4 games) to your PS4, and play them subject to a license check. This seems like an ignominious end to all their fancy Gaikai tech.

Nah, sounds like they're giving people options - not everyone can stream it adequately.  For those who have a fast and stable internet connection, they won't care either way.

All this talk of NES games on Switch and the Playstation Classic reminds me how mental it is that I can't play Ridge Racer or God Hand on my PS4.

Hopefully this announcement is a step towards that, but then the PS2 games in this list just being remasters makes me think we'll never see it.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, joffocakes said:

Pretty paltry selection compared to Xbox One's more thorough BC though, plus you need the subscription to continue playing them.

You need to pay for BC games too. I saw Microsoft bragging about 500+ free BC games as well, seemingly forgetting that you have to actually have paid for them to download them. Not really free then, is it?

4 minutes ago, Radish said:

You need to pay for BC games too. I saw Microsoft bragging about 500+ free BC games as well, seemingly forgetting that you have to actually have paid for them to download them. Not really free then, is it?

It's free to use your old software is what they're saying.

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, Radish said:

PS User: I would like to play my copy of Rez I bought on the PS2, oh I'll have to pay to subscribe to PS Now

XBox User: I would like to play my copy of Rez I bought on the 360. Oh I'll put my disc in the Xbox One and off I go without having to pay anything.

Pick whatever game fits for you.  But the BC itself on Xbox is free.

Sony.  Pay twice for games you want to play again.  Xbox pay once. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

It's free to use your old software is what they're saying.

It's a stupid way to express it though. Saying you can play 500 games for free means you would have to own 500 Xbox games already. Now I don't doubt there are people on this forum who do, but I don't. If I want access to 500 Xbox games I'm  going to have to spend a lot more than 90 quid. I'll confess that when I first read it, I thought there was some way of playing old Xbox games for nothing.

They had the opportunity to have an amusing dig at Sony reselling their old games and they blew it.

I don't get this three pages of pedantry. It's clear what MS meant, and they are right. If you have an Xbox One, you can play your old games without any additional services or hardware. If you don't have them, then yes you need to buy them. But that's because you don't have them! You could trawl CEX and pick up a pile for next to nothing.

It's clearly a better solution than the Sony equivalent.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Uncle Mike said:

I don't get this three pages of pedantry. It's clear what MS meant, and they are right. If you have an Xbox One, you can play your old games without any additional services or hardware. If you don't have them, then yes you need to buy them. But that's because you don't have them! You could trawl CEX and pick up a pile for next to nothing.

It's clearly a better solution than the Sony equivalent.

It's not an equivalent. PS now is competing with Xbox Game Pass, not BC. BC is for playing games you've already paid for. Now (and Game Pass) are for renting access to a large library of games. You may already own some of them, but that's true with any rental service (Netflix, Game Pass, etc). It's just Microsoft twisting things to get a cheap dig in. 

2 hours ago, Radish said:

It's not an equivalent. PS now is competing with Xbox Game Pass, not BC. BC is for playing games you've already paid for. Now (and Game Pass) are for renting access to a large library of games. You may already own some of them, but that's true with any rental service (Netflix, Game Pass, etc). It's just Microsoft twisting things to get a cheap dig in. 

916311231_freegames.PNG.3ebaf009b67e234112a907f069366878.PNG

Thinking of getting this in the next week or so having a browse through the current titles there's plenty for me to sink my teeth into.

I think my initial look though, it seem's a bit clunky to navigate, is that the case?

Also I don't suppose if anyone has any news on upcoming titles? Or is it always quiet until the name drops if you like.

I think the navigation is basically just the same as the PSN store. If you search for a game it will have a button if it is on PS Now to play it there, or else if you go into the specific PS Now area it shows all the games. Last time I used it any game you played then showed up in your Library along with all the others (which is actually kind of annoying as it seems to be there for all eternity)

• Upvote 1

On 21/09/2018 at 12:51, Sarlaccfood said:

All this talk of NES games on Switch and the Playstation Classic reminds me how mental it is that I can't play Ridge Racer or God Hand on my PS4.

Hopefully this announcement is a step towards that, but then the PS2 games in this list just being remasters makes me think we'll never see it.

Ive got a number of PlayStation classic games I bought some time ago which I played on PSP, which was stolen in a burglary. I’m not saying that’s Sony’s fault, but now the only way for me to play them is buying a defunct platform like PS3, Vita or PSP again. Yea, there’s probably no good business reason for Sony to make them playable on PS4, other than generate a modest amount of good will amongst a small section of their consumer base, but it still rankles that they can be played on all the other platforms except the current generation. 

5 hours ago, Luseth said:

Thinking of getting this in the next week or so having a browse through the current titles there's plenty for me to sink my teeth into.

I think my initial look though, it seem's a bit clunky to navigate, is that the case?

Also I don't suppose if anyone has any news on upcoming titles? Or is it always quiet until the name drops if you like.

U used the free week trial yet??,i used it and it was horrible streaming games and my internet is pretty fast

• Empathy 1

My internet is ridiculously fast and I’m on a wired connection and game streaming is horrible.

last wired Speedtest was 397meg down and 23up.

average ping on fortnite is 7ms.

40 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

U used the free week trial yet??,i used it and it was horrible streaming games and my internet is pretty fast

The majority of the games I intend to use it for look like they are downloadable (Are all PS4 games downloadable on there now?) so I don't forsee that being an issue ^_^ I'm thinking of using the trial in the next couple of weeks (once i've cleared one of my current main games hopefully).

• Upvote 1

Is everything downloadable? Don't have space for another console but want to play some PS3 stuff I missed and thinking a month or two of this would scratch that itch. Mainly looking at PS3 exclusives like : Tokyo Jungle, GofW Ascension, Infamous 1 and 2, Heavenly Sword, Genji, and most of all, Ni no Kuni. Bit confused as to whether the latter is actually on the EU Now list or not.

9 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

Is everything downloadable? Don't have space for another console but want to play some PS3 stuff I missed and thinking a month or two of this would scratch that itch. Mainly looking at PS3 exclusives like : Tokyo Jungle, GofW Ascension, Infamous 1 and 2, Heavenly Sword, Genji, and most of all, Ni no Kuni. Bit confused as to whether the latter is actually on the EU Now list or not.

Only PS4 stuff that runs natively can be downloaded, there is no PS3 emulator so that has to be streamed in no matter what.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if this is the most recent thread but it's a thread ^_^

So just a little bit of news on this Link to playstation blog

So the first is a price drop to £8.99 a month (putting it ever so slightly more expensive than the European price)

The next is that a few more titles being added -

God of War

GTA V

Infamous second son

Uncharted 4

Generally the titles never wow me with ps now and I haven't used it for a while but there might be something to the God Of War announcement. Playstation have said they plan to get on board with the subscription service and I wonder if down the road we will see more first party playstation titles come to the service (maybe not on release as of yet) but at some point down the road.

It might be worth watching where they take it going forwards? Could we spiderman make it onto there, maybe Last of us 2 eventually? Or will it be limited to games that get a 'greatest hits' release where they sell it for is it £16? So they will have already made most of their sales by that point.