IGNORED

Currently playing...

MattyP

Those blobby aliens are trivial-but-dull in open spaces (roll, roll, roll, shoot, roll, roll, roll...) and impossibly cheap in enclosed spaces.

The two things that pissed me off the most towards the end:

1) One instance where you have to shoot a door to open it, despite no other door in the game opening when you shoot it. I was legitimately stuck here and had to watch a Let's Play.

2) The fact that the final lift you need to get to escape right at the end of the game (in a room you've not previously been able to enter) is obscured by some foreground scenery, so you'll probably miss it first time.

I also felt the potential of the teleporter was never truly realised - I would love to have had it on a big L1 style area.

For me, the save system demands too much repetition. Another World (to which this is frequently compared, despite not really being related) also relies on trial and error, but it's a more overtly Dragon's Lairy kind of game, and the restart points are frequent - it's less painful, and you get to feel like a ninja when you get all the sequences right.

It reminds me of 90% of PC shareware games in terms of the quality drop-off after the free episodes. Lovely animation, though.

2 hours ago, Alexlotl said:

1) One instance where you have to shoot a door to open it, despite no other door in the game opening when you shoot it. I was legitimately stuck here and had to watch a Let's Play.

SHIT. THE. BED!

I never got that far on the Amiga version back in the day but I'm near certain this is what ended my attempted playthrough of the Megadrive version at some point in the mid 00s.

Speaking of doors, I'm currently revisiting Alien Resurrection.

There's a bug in some levels that only manifests when played via an emulator - which includes the PS3. Some security doors don't open when they should because of imperfect audio emulation, leaving you stuck in the level with progression only possible by using the cheat menu.

Naturally, I was playing on PS3.

Apparently it's been fixed in later versions of ePSXe, and now that I know what I'm doing it won't take me long to get back to where I was. In theory.

Final Fantasy IV: Namingway Edition for the SNES, on my Super NT/SD2SNES combo.

Put about an hour into this so far. It's a massive romhack of FF2 US to restore all the axed content from FFIV, restore the difficulty, update various names to match modern FF conventions (e.g. Cure, Cura, Curaga), and massively update the script by magpieing the best from the original Woolsey, the GBA translation, the DS translation and a small amount of original work. The goal is it should feel like a vintage 90s localisation, only done well, rather than being wildly revisionist.

It seems pretty good so far. I've historically found FFIV and FFV pretty ugly, but the little sprites look OK with the Super NT's hybrid scanlines and proper aspect ratio. The music is fantastic (sounds a lot better here than I've heard previously, but I haven't tried to play this game in about 12 years, so that might have been the quality of emulation at the time), although the random battle *wrrk wrrk wrrk* transition noise is not very welcome. It's pretty primitive though - things like having to stack your own items(!), having consumable arrows, and the lack of character interaction really stick out.

Just got Tellah, bringing my party up to three. Bought Rydia a bow with which she was shit (usually missed, sometimes did 4 damage), then remembered that like Phantasy Star 2, you can use a lot of items for infinite free spells. Using the Rod she started with does sort of magic missile attack that does decent damage - might go and buy one for Tellah too!

1 hour ago, CrispinFoetus said:

Kung Fu Master on MAME with an arcade stick. Memories of playing this in the chippy up the road from my gran's house.

It's such a good game and so much better than its spiritual successor Vigilante. That cunt with the bombs on loop 2, though. Fuck that guy.

It's brilliant.  Love the NES port.  Pity they didn't just port it to the Game Boy as it was.

Solomon’s Key (NES / Switch) Always loves this game But was frustrated by its arcade origins, running out of lives pretty much dooms you to replaying the early levels over and over.

However the Switch version has save states which makes up for the up to jump issues I’m having. Love it so far.

Super Double Dragon. I’m a big fan of this game. The move set for a side-scroller is excellent and the special move charging mechanic is some top notch risk/reward stuff. Much better emulated so you can whack the speed up.

Also chipping away at a couple of other SNES beat ‘em ups. I’ve got a run through of Aliens vs Predator on the go, which I don’t actually like that much, and of the excellent Turtles in Time. The latter is quite doable, but when it comes to AvP and Double Dragon, all I can say is thank fuck for save states.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've finished off Diddy Kong Racing, and after a 20 year wait, i've finally given Wizpig what for (thanks to whoever mentioned the tip about releasing accelerator when hitting a boost button), and done the hidden world, too. Lovely game, i've thoroughly enjoyed playing through it . The structure really adds something to the single player. 

I'm now playing Conker's Bad Fur Day which I've purchased off eBay for about the same price as Red Dead Redemption 2 (at least thats how I'm justifying it to myself). 

I've read a lot about it, but nothing quite prepared me for seeing a mouse explode, or Conker throwing up, or just how weird all the dialogue and voice-overs are. Its all so random and strange.Liking it a lot so far, although the awkward platform jumping needed some practice, as I'm a little bit rusty. 

i'm currently having my arse handed to me by a hick pitchfork with eyes. All very odd. 

Darkstalkers 3

Darkstalkers is one of those series I've always had an affinity for - it's Street Fighter with horror characters, what's not to like? - but I've never really been any good at or really played a lot. In fact, I've never really got much past Street Fighter II Turbo in the 2D fighter stakes. But I fancied a go at Darkstalkers 3 / Vampire Savior: Lord of the Vampires and have it as part of Darkstalkers Resurrection on 360. And I have an arcade stick.

So I gave it a few hours last night.

I actually did some reading and YouTube watching about how to be a bit better at it first. And I really enjoyed it. I realised I've never beaten it, so played through with a couple of characters. I did something I don't tend to do and spent some time in the tutorials, but found that there are some ridiculous ones in there: Dimitri has one where you jump in, and do a 360 and punch as you land, five times, which I did once in about half an hour of trying.

But it's a great game, with a lot of character. It seems a shame that, while some of the characters have lived in in other Capcom games, the series hasn't gone beyond this third installment. It needs a reboot...

On 15/10/2018 at 07:14, Nathan Wind said:

Super Double Dragon. I’m a big fan of this game. The move set for a side-scroller is excellent and the special move charging mechanic is some top notch risk/reward stuff. Much better emulated so you can whack the speed up.

Also chipping away at a couple of other SNES beat ‘em ups. I’ve got a run through of Aliens vs Predator on the go, which I don’t actually like that much, and of the excellent Turtles in Time. The latter is quite doable, but when it comes to AvP and Double Dragon, all I can say is thank fuck for save states.

Return of Double Dragon is even better too. Such a fantastic game with a brilliant combat engine that is for me, better than Streets of Rage.