IGNORED

Currently playing...

MattyP

On 12/10/2021 at 16:01, MattyP said:

Been playing blur on the 360 recently.... quite the understated arcade racer from Bizarre. 

Its like a lovely blend of PGR physics coupled with Mario Kart antics... Great game. Think part of what killed it at the time of release was the volume of winter games that year and going up against some big hitting games. Not only in general but in the arcade racing genre. 

I think the whole concept of this is ahead of the curve in many respects and especially in the social gaming aspects. 

It was killed by its stupid release date and poor, confused advertising. It came out 25th May 2010, a week after Split Second, another arcade race, and, more importantly, Red Dead Redemption, which killed everything around it. 

Playing Metroid Fusion off the back of Zero Mission (with Prime to follow before Dread). 

It's pretty good! In particular the music is fucking atmospheric as hell. Some of the tracks feel like they're from a horror movie, others remind me of early Autechre. 

Gameplay is pretty decent. Like Zero Mission, it feels quite linear. I'm sure there are sequence breaks that I could do, but hardly on a first play through, beyonds some cheeky wall jumps here and there.

Finished Metroid Fusion in around 4 hours with a paltry 45% collection rate. 

I loved it, really great music and very atmospheric. It could do without the story shit they’ve been adding to these games. Let the gameplay tell the story!

Easy enough apart from a robotic spider boss which pissed me off for a while!

Been playing Ginga Fukei Sapphire on the PC Engine.

It’s a grail I’ve been after for a while, so when one popped up (uk seller) I jumped on it. Cost me a pretty penny but I really wanted it for the collection as the ultimate visually impressive PC Engine title.

I’d read that the game was ‘too easy’ and ‘bland’…Don’t know where this came from but it’s anything but IMO!

The first level alone is bursting with action. It’s taken me a good couple of hours just to figure it out because it throws so much at you.

One thing that made me think about where the comments might have come from, was playing 2 player.

I’m now a firm believer that shooters 2 player completely change the game. I used to play Aero Blasters with a friend back in the day and we used to crank the difficulty to hard, just for the challenge. Having played it recently I got no where near finishing it just on normal as some sections were super tough.

This game has a 2 player mode too and I can imagine it’s much easier to deal with certain sections.

1 player though, I actually think it’s pretty brutal. As I mentioned stage 1 is absolutely loaded with action. The other thing is the fact that the story is about time travelling police, so each level is set in a different time period. This changes levels dramatically as you go from shooting space ships and and huge robot walkers to bats and dragons.

I’m enjoying it so far but it is tough. I don’t see a 1CC happening but working with the default 3 continues, I think I stand a chance. I’ve managed to get to the last level twice so far but there’s still a lot of learning to be had.

The biggest down side so far is some of the production/presentation is a bit off. The intro cutscene is full speech and music yet the intros to the levels have no speech or music and the end of level cutscenes have speech but no music. It’s just a bit inconsistent and slightly jarring.

13 hours ago, Camel said:

Lot of dodgy copies of that used to be floating around. Have you made sure it's genuine?

yea, I did some research before pushing the button.

It passed the tests that I found on this website https://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/sapcomp1.html

I actually ended up viewing the ones on eBay and recognising ones that were fakes (there are ones on there being sold as real that aren’t). Scary stuff indeed.

What’s interesting is I think some places are trying to put value in the fakes with a ‘it’s still a physical version’ idea. It’s the same with the re-release of Gley Lancer, they’re pushing over £100 now and the quality is supposed to be pretty suspect.

I was playing the Wonderswan Gunpey earlier this week (with my RS97) - it’s a cruel lesson in greed and the repercussions of my actions, as I always try to set up elaborate arrangements of connecting lines and then get too greedy when things are speeding up… :blush: 

After taking some time away to play Metroid Dread, I came back and finished Ginga Fukei Sapphire.

Really enjoyed it overall and it’s up there with the many other quality shooters on the PC Engine.

Definitely think it’s geared more towards 2 player gameplay. The RnG on the waves of the standard enemy type leads to a lot of cheeky sniper deaths in 1 player, which wouldn’t’ be an issue in 2 player.

I wasn’t particularly happy with the finish. The first credit was the best I’d ever done, making it all the way to the final level. This pretty much allowed me to bomb my way through the final stage (I don’t know it at all) as I had 3 credits with 3 lives, each having 3 bombs.

Even though I made it to the final stage in a credit I still feel like there’s a lot of learning to be had, but without flash saves it’s a long process to get to know the final parts of the game well. I would like to learn it but don’t really have this time as I’ve got a huge backlog of retro pickups to get on to.

The game actually made me realise some of my preferences for shooters. One is that I like them to have shields. Not as an easy mode as such but I think I stops some of the annoyance of getting sniped in RnG sections. Nexzr did this really well with your shield only giving you 1 hit. I thought it was pretty stingy at first but now I realise it’s just there to cover you from stiffed from a rogue shot, which is actually really cool.

Another is dying returning you to the start of a stage of a mid way check point. I always thought it was brutal to do this but now I realise that it allows you to practice a section, whereas spawning you straight back into the fray just forces you forwards with little learning gained because it then becomes a scramble.

Played and finished Hook on the Super Famicom

Definitely aimed at younger children, I actually managed to finish it on my 3rd attempt and on that attempt I had amassed 18 lives by the end! The game throws so many lives at you, it’s actually possible to deliberately die and build lives by collecting the 3ups that are hidden on some levels. I didn’t even do this when I finished it either.

For some reason they made main character unbelievably slow, so reacting to stuff is hard. I also think some of the hit boxes feel overly large, there’s times where you think you’re safe and then you’re hit. Not sure the idea behind these to points as they are quite obvious and I think could lead to some frustration with younger players.

I did wonder that’s why they give you so many lives.

I enjoyed playing the game though. I remember my friend’s young step son being a big fan and him telling my friend triumphantly that he had finished it one day.

Think this is a good game to play with young kids.

A quick play of the recently released NIntendo online expansion pack got me in the mood for some N64 gaming so I went back to my playthrough of OoT that I started earlier this year, near the end now, got all the items, big poes and gold skulltallas, just got 6 heart pieces left to track down before the final battle with Ganon. Game has held up incredibly well and its still kind of mind blowing what Nintendo managed to achieve with the N64, I can’t think of another game of that era coming close to Zelda.

On 28/10/2021 at 19:33, RastanSaga said:

Street fighter II turbo super famicom 

https://ibb.co/5K9tm2L

https://ibb.co/Rv0NvpN

I went mad and bought this for my super Famicom too (last week). Actually worse than that I bought world warrior. Then I saw 3cart deal on eBay, world warrior, turbo and super. So then bought that. Even worse still I own an everdrive!?

I've had an obsession since I was 10 and reading in mean machines that the pal version which I owned had squished graphics and ran slower. Finally I own the set up I wanted since then.

The art on the carts is way nicer too.

I really don't like super on the snes, the sound is completely shit for some reason.

Edit I also notice your super Famicom looks brand new, I've been trying to retro bright mine for days now. Hair cream peroxide, seems to be working a bit

Aladdin (MD)

Oh dear. I have to assume the love this inspires is down to nostalgia or being blinded by how utterly stunning it still looks but it's not much of an actual game, is it? I don't mean it's bad or that I actively dislike it but it's pure mediocrity and even shorter than I'd imagined. Pretty frustrating in places too - chiefly in how misleading it can be in communicating the difference between background and solid platforms at times. I've died more than a few times to that one. Currently on the final boss who is a total arsehole but I will plug on because stubbornness is my superpower.

I'm playing this on the Switch Disney Collection thing so I fancy giving the Final Cut a go afterwards to see what they changed while it's fresh to mind. Plus I suppose I need to play the SNES one now too so I can have a take on the most tedious retro gaming debate amongst my generation. Woo!

Just played through Lost in Time on ScummVM because it appeared in a Youtube video I was watching.

Anyone else played it? I thought it was quite a nice little adventure, although some of the puzzles are absolutely ridiculous (I would have given up if I didn't have a walkthrough handy) - the sort of thing where you have to click on an absolutely tiny pixel to make sure you are using an item on the "handle" rather than the "door" that you need to open. 

I might try out some of the other Coktel Vision adventures, Fascination perhaps.

The acting is amusingly bad!

Having finished Aladdin (yay) I now make my most hipster post in this thread - Zelda (Game & Watch :lol:

Bought as a novelty, like everyone else, but I'd never played it and "just checked it worked" for the best part of an hour last night. Pleasantly surprised how well it holds up, even more remarkable given that I've passed up dozens of ways to play this in the last 30 years and finally succumbed to one of the worst! Suits the format a lot better than Mario though. And If it does get too hard and I sack it there's always Link's Awakening which I love.

Been playing Faussete Amour on the PC Engine.

Wanted to sit down with this game for a while as I’m a big fan of swinging mechanics in games.

The main character’s weapon allows for a mix of Castlevania and Bionic Commando style gameplay all in a Valis style setting. 

Reading a couple of reviews they were pretty damming and while I understand the gripes I feel generally a bit more positive on the game. It’s not a classic but it’s quite nice and I think there’s scope for tackling levels in different ways as you become more versed with the swing mechanic. 

The game has the classic PC Engine trait and having tricky gameplay coupled with infinite continues, which I’m not particularly a fan of. The game actually has the traits of GnG too with a 1 hit then death (it even puts you in your underwear on taking the hit) and has fairies hidden in the world which you can make appear to get your armour back.

One thing that’s surprised me is this game is quite expensive to buy and I put this down to it having a cult following for people of are super versed with the game yet I found nothing on YT with regards to a super play / speed run type video. I personally think there is scope in the game to be able to blitz as least some sections of the game with some skilled swinging. If I was playing with save states I’d probably give this a go myself but it’s a slow process practicing a section when you’ve got to traverse all your way back just to try a section again.

I worked my way right through to the last boss before having to turn off, I’m thinking my next attempt I’ll get there much quicker having constantly repeated stages abusing the infinite continues.

And Faussete Amour finished.

I was definitely more versed in the game and was trying some speedy traversal, which was actually a lot of fun. It’s a shame they didn’t push this side a bit more. Stage 5 uses it with you having to traverse up the screen as lava rises but some levels you could traverse without swinging at all.

I managed to get to the last boss on the 1CC but messed up the fight and had to continue, which was annoying. Not that there’s a score linked.

I actually think the music is good too. I know one review wrote the OST off but I quite enjoy it. One thing is that it’s super diverse, you’d actually think tracks were from entirely different games is so varied.

I'm playing Splatterhouse on the Xbox 360. It's got lots of issues (the framerate is atrocious and it's very glitchy) but I'm still having lots of fun with it. I've unlocked the original three games and getting close to the end now. It's much more enjoyable than I was expecting it to be (the naked photos of girls you collect haven't aged well, though).

I've started playing Trials of Mana, SNES version (official translation of Seiken Densetsu 3). I wanted to play it for years but never got around to it. After being underwhelmed by Secret of Mana earlier this year, I'm hoping this will impress me a little more.

Not in a rush to get through it, mind.

Edited by Sprite Machine

6 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

I've started playing Trials of Mana, SNES version (official translation of Seiken Densetsu 3). I wanted to play it for years but never got around to it. After being underwhelmed by Secret of Mana earlier this year, I'm hoping this will impress me a little more.

Not in a rush to get through it, mind.

I played Secret of Mana for the first time on the SNES Classic and felt the same - Seiken Densetsu 3 I played last year and thought it was a masterpiece though. Fingers crossed it gets you too. 

On 09/11/2021 at 11:24, Parappa said:

Ridge Racer 2 - PSP emulator.  4K .

Utterly incredible - just finished the basic tour and looking forward to playing more. 

PC?

Got it working the combination of lores textures and hires polygons make it quite striking indeed, still immensely playable..

Currently playing Chrono Trigger on the SNES.

I’ve tried to play this game multiple times and have always bailed for various reasons, normally around consistently dying to a certain enemy and sacking it off. I really want to finish it this time though.

Can anyone tell me if grinding is necessary in this?

I’m not a massive fan of JRPGs but I feel like there’s a really nice understanding of battles in this game and tackling it properly leads to more straight forward fights. I’m talking ideas like the tank in the prison, where you read the note about needing to destroy the head as it heals the body or using fire on the ogres to destroy their hammers.

Its also one of the very few OSTs that I listen to where I haven’t play the full game.

I’m up to Magus’ castle and still feeling really positive at the minute (just aware I have bailed multiple times) I currently have the team of Chrono, Frog and Marle and my new favourite manoeuvre is casting haste on both Chrono and Frog and then blitzing X Strikes while Marle supports.

It’s also on my mind, which is a good sign for wanting to keep playing.

@Goemon I finished it for the first time earlier this year, and went through it again recently just so that I could have some recordings of battles to put online somewhere. I found that most of the time there wasn't too much of a need to grind, but there was one late game encounter (near the end of the "Fated Hour" chapter) that I thought was so one-sided that I didn't attempt it again until levelling up a bunch. Also, doing lots of battles can be useful for learning more techniques and opening up your options in battle.

And yeah - as with most games like this, Haste is always useful - having "more turns" makes it easier to correct mistakes and prepare for things. :D 

On 23/11/2021 at 06:03, Yasawas said:

I played Secret of Mana for the first time on the SNES Classic and felt the same - Seiken Densetsu 3 I played last year and thought it was a masterpiece though. Fingers crossed it gets you too. 

It's all right so far. Not as hard-going as SoM, although combat feels woolier and more chaotic, like I barely feel I'm in control sometimes. The menus and equipment screens are sluggish, like the little SNES is trying to push around too much memory at once, I dunno.

Graphics are improved and the day/night cycle is very well done. Different beginnings depending on which character(s) you pick is mad clever. Good stuff.

I wish I'd picked a magic healer in my party, I'm relying on items a lot! I shall continue! :)

Just finished off Exhumed (well, NTSC-U Powerslave actually) for the first time in over 20 years. What a cracker of a game!

exhumed_00001.thumb.jpg.5256ca36f3f035030fe1cfeb14c7176c.jpg

The progression/power up system is really well balanced – especially in the first 2/3, where you have to take a few risks (can I make that jump using my "float" power?), and I hugely appreciate some of the design decisions – for example, it’s not prescriptive - ammo pickups are generic so it’s up to you to decide which weapons you want to keep topped up.

The simple way you're taught how to use the abilities you pick up is ingenious and refreshing. It doesn’t hold your hand but is never confusing. No tutorials here!

Some of the levels (Amun Mines and Heket Marsh in particular) are a little easy to get lost in due to repetitive textures, but for the most part there's a lot of variety across the maps, some claustrophobic and others surprisingly vast, detailed and open.

I haven’t played it through since probably 1997, but all in all I feel like it’s held up superbly and is a much better game than Saturn Quake (noting I adore the PC version) and I much prefer it to Duke.

I still find the dynamic lighting absolutely mesmerising too. It's just a brilliant engine!

The US version with analog control is the way to go.

exhumed_00003.thumb.jpg.c8b446f398a3d3dd721ed11fb33a1508.jpg

exhumed_00002.thumb.jpg.6f17a98e88773e77275c81261560827d.jpg

(Yes, I recently illustrated a PVM and had fun setting up a "shadow mask" set up in After Effect.. yes it's a bit wanky but a bit of fun, so using it to share my screen grabs - I made the dubious choice of trying to engage with the Twitter retro community.. see how that goes 🙃 )

image.thumb.png.6a4b89eb001a8555a0883e9b4c36a06f.png