Currently playing...

Still enjoying my Evercade, when I first saw a mate had one I thought it looked like a massive waste of time, however after a bit a research and seeing the cute little carts and lovely little manuals I ordered the mega pack and now have all currently released carts.

Playing;

Magical Drop 2 - Data East Collection

Only really played Puyo Pop Tetris on Switch for any experience with this sort of game, but this absolutely delightful, endless mode is good and the story mode is surprisingly fun. Really good little ‘zone’ game and very addictive. Controls great on the Evercade too.

Brave Battle Saga - Piko Interactive Collection

This is apparently a game only recently given an English translation and a physical release, bundled together with a load of other RPGs on this cart. Only a short way in but already very charming and features an active battle system that I can see getting interesting once my party fills out. Apparently over 40hrs long too.

I picked Fire Mustang as my next game...and I’ve finished it already!
Probably took me about 5 attempts.

It’s not great TBH. I think graphically it’s quite poor with some bits looking 8bit. Having watched a playthrough of the arcade game it’s based on, I think they could have done at lot more. Saying that there was only about 8 people in the credits!

It’s a shame as I think the MD could have done a pretty good version. The arcade game looks much better with better variation on bosses, enemy attacks etc. which would have made a much more compelling game

What we ended up with isn’t bad but it’s very, very average, I’d actually consider it more of a ‘budget’ title. It does have fast scrolling, which gives a great sense on speed but that’s the only stand out I have.

The other thing it has, which I’m really not a fan of is dynamic difficulty. It’s like ‘oh you’re doing better this time are you, well we’ll make these enemies shoot bullets now when they didn’t before.‘ This literally meant on one run I did worse overall, because I did better at the start, which is just stupid IMO.

Still, another one to scratch off the list.

Finished The Misadventures of Tron Bonne earlier today, and now I'm not sure what to start next. I'd intended to try Psy-O-Blade on the Mega Drive but not really in the mood for that right now.

Something short and breezy for the PSP or 3DS would be nice.

Needing something light and unchallenging I got around to pulling Magic Knight Rayearth out of the unplayed Saturn pile..and I think I might stick with it.

Similarly to Sakura Wars it's high on charm and low on flash, and I haven't touched an easygoing action RPG since Soul Blazer on SNES a few years ago so it feels pretty refreshing.

Anyway - it's been pretty much what I was after so far but I've just done a section in an underground maze which almost had me reaching for a guide as it was legitimately confusing. Actually - the town area the maze entrance is found in was tricky to fully explore too.

I clearly lack patience for even relaxed breezy types of these games these days so hopefully negotiating multilayered overhead mazes isn't something too common. 

Also I would've loved all the sexual references as a kid but today it seems a bit off especially in a game starring three 14 year olds. 

Let's see how it goes. 

Day Three of Magic Knight Rayearth and everything great about it (personality, charm, attention to detail, humour, fourth-wall-breaking bits) is starting to feel outweighed by the disappointing (tedious claustrophobic maze designs made more tedious because of the forced perspective, mediocre combat & slippery movement, redundant feeling in-game economy, cringey unneeded hidden sexual references).

I beat a pretty tough boss (fire demon in a burning house) after a few attempts, and the game's insistence on making you work through the entire 'dungeon' every time really started to drag. But I did it. Phew. Cool. Next scene is another massive area full of twisting hidden bits and..aand I remember why I don't really enjoy this type of videogame. 

I feel bad about possibly throwing the towel in because it's such a polished, lovingly made game and I've sunk a good few mostly enjoyable hours in..but ultimately I think I'm way too old, stressed and grumpy for this shit. Easy patches which dial down the general difficulty might not be enough either.

Put about 4-5 hours into Assault Suit Leynos on the Megadrive.

It never got rave reviews back in the day but they were okay and considering it was the same dev that brought us the amazing Assault Suit Valken, I was sure it would be good. I also Platinumed the PS4 remake and absolutely loved it.

Have to say I’m super disappointed, IMO the game is fundamentally broken.

The main beef that I have is the speed of enemy generation and bullets vs the pace of the main character.

Enemies fly around and shoot you from all angles and you’re moving around like a dump truck. The pace of the character is fine, you’re supposed to be this giant mech so I expect slow calculated movements but you can’t avoid things. Couple this with the game spawning a tonne of enemies on you and there’s times where you literally die in 2 seconds.

Another factor in this is that you to take damage from killing an enemy if you’re too close. Whoever thought this was a good idea, is an idiot! It gets to the point where you’re not killing enemies because you die slower taking their bullets over having them blow up next to you.

It’s such a shame because it’s almost there and there’s times when the pace all comes together and it’s great but then it rapidly dissolves into stupidity again.

I’m going to keep plugging away because I’m an idiot I love these mech styled games but this one is tough to enjoy.

15 hours ago, Goemon said:

Put about 4-5 hours into Assault Suit Leynos on the Megadrive.

That's more than I've ever played it, I adore Valken and also think Leynos 2 is pretty great but just couldn't get any enjoyment out of Leynos.

Finished Assault Suit Leynos.

I definitely got more used to things but it’s still the case that the game makes you walk a tightrope that at any point can (and regularly does) just fall apart in seconds with very little you can do about it. You literally die to bad RnG and as such I don’t feel like I completed it, more like I survived it.

It’s hard because part of what I found compelling was learning how to survive and I wonder if I didn’t have the stress of survival would I have had that draw when actually doing it. However I can say that I did generally come out the other side of crunch points thinking ‘thank god that bit’s over’ as opposed to shouting ‘YES!’ and pumping my fist in the air.

The game has some nice stuff though. The level objectives are nice and varied and I enjoy the strategy of picking what weapons to take into a level. You really do need to think about what’s coming in the level when picking your gear.

On a side note to that I’m fairly convinced that if you don’t get the shield upgrade by the time you get to the final stage (which can easily happen) then it’s impossible to complete because you just die too quickly without it. 

• 2 weeks later...

This week I am enjoying Silent Hill for the first time. Holds up really well. Playing it on really nice original hardware (PS2) as supplied by Jei. 

Never played past the intro before and am trying to 30 mins before bed each day! 

What’s cool is I have it hooked up via optical to a decent sound box so that bloody radio noise can eat into my dreams. 

A1CE227A-1CA5-423E-9AA6-FBA3536B2D15.jpeg

I’ve been playing a bit of Omega Boost on the PlayStation. I’m enjoying the fast paced, slightly hectic gameplay. The controls are simple and the action feels quite rhythmic. It’s really satisfying when you’re in the swing of things but when you lose your mojo it hurts!

All good fun and it looks and sounds fantastic (I even enjoyed the FMV)!

ADF14598-5A1D-4A34-99FE-962C7D0C6CA4.jpeg

Working on side quests after a long Chrono Trigger hiatus  I decided to take a break from the Sunken Desert boss to do the Frog side quest. After that, I mooched around the caves on GIant’s Claw for a bit but it was getting late so I fought my way back out and saved for the night.

E5A9C0FC-AB30-4690-90FC-1AFC7D49CC0B.thumb.jpeg.353015e1522187a88f8e43b4b5dd1220.jpeg

Secret of Mana (SNES, 1993). Despite being a fan of classic Squaresoft RPGs, I have somehow never played this.

Last August, I persevered through the rather clunky Final Fantasy Adventure (GB, 1991), aka. the first 'Mana' game. But this is no shoddy Zelda wannabe. This can only be an improvement, right? :unsure:

EDIT: Some beginner's tips!

1) Wait until enemies get up fully before hitting them again, otherwise you waste your charged attack.
2) Learn how the different layers of the character menus work so you can actually equip shit. (Fighting bosses without armour is hard.)

3) Grass doesn't have rupees in it. Stop cutting it down! :lol:

Edited by Sprite Machine

I think Secret of Mana is a pretty hard slog unless you've got heaps of nostalgia for it and/or a second player. It's fairly unfinished, badly translated, and requires huge amounts of dull grinding to level up your weapons and magic. I gave it a try last year, covered in patches to fix some translation issues, bugs and reduce the grind, and it was still hard yakka, so I just gave up after a while.

Looks and sounds great, though. Love that colour palette.

Side note - I love Seiken Densetsu 3. People who really love SoM seem to dislike SD3, so maybe the opposite is also true.

On 06/04/2021 at 23:24, Sprite Machine said:

Secret of Mana (SNES, 1993). Despite being a fan of classic Squaresoft RPGs, I have somehow never played this.

Last August, I persevered through the rather clunky Final Fantasy Adventure (GB, 1991), aka. the first 'Mana' game. But this is no shoddy Zelda wannabe. This can only be an improvement, right? :unsure:

1) Wait until enemies get up fully before hitting them again, otherwise you waste your charged attack.
2) Learn how the different layers of the character menus work so you can actually equip shit. (Fighting bosses without armour is hard.)

I'm about 7 or 8 hours into this now, and it's... not bad. It's definitely a lot better than Seiken Densetsu 1, although the script translation is similarly poor quality. The fact that the game supports three playable characters in realtime (with optional co-op play) is remarkably clever for its age, even though playing solo makes for some confusing menu navigation.

The game gets gradually easier as you get more abilities. I was really struggling at the start, but now that I can use healing magic, replenish MP on the field, scan targets for weaknesses and use some reasonably powerful attack spells, it's become more managable. Still a bit grindy, which I'm not sure makes for good streaming content.

I can't say I'm massively enjoying it but it's OK and I hope to see it through to the end.

30 minutes ago, Sprite Machine said:

I'm about 7 or 8 hours into this now, and it's... not bad. It's definitely a lot better than Seiken Densetsu 1, although the script translation is similarly poor quality. The fact that the game supports three playable characters in realtime (with optional co-op play) is remarkably clever for its age, even though playing solo makes for some confusing menu navigation.

The game gets gradually easier as you get more abilities. I was really struggling at the start, but now that I can use healing magic, replenish MP on the field, scan targets for weaknesses and use some reasonably powerful attack spells, it's become more managable. Still a bit grindy, which I'm not sure makes for good streaming content.

I can't say I'm massively enjoying it but it's OK and I hope to see it through to the end.

Loved this game back in the day but revisiting the PS4 release I was left a little deflated.

My main beef was the AI characters getting themselves into trouble with enemies that a human player could avoid. In some cases you need to switch characters just so you can keep that character alive otherwise they’ll likely die.

I do know that when I finished it back in the day I got a friend to help me, which made a world of difference.

I also think you need to make sure you raise the girl’s ‘protect’ spell as I found it pretty crucial for the last boss.

On 06/04/2021 at 23:24, Sprite Machine said:

On 12/04/2021 at 11:24, Sprite Machine said:

Blimey, the difference between the best and second-best armour is gigantic! You go from taking 200-odd points of damage per hit, to taking... like, 2. Not so much a "this armour will help you in the final dungeon" situation and more of "if you don't buy all this armour, you will literally die."

Well, that's the game wrapped up. It definitely got more fun the further it went. A shame I didn't have anyone to play it with in co-op as it's fiddly to play solo. But it wasn't bad. Sometimes it dragged and was a bit 'grindy' but I mostly enjoyed it, I think.

I'm a simple man.

Each night my gaming session consists of single 1CC attempts at:

Final Fight (CPS-1)
SF2 CE (CPS-1)
Progear (CPS-2)
SFA 3 (CPS-2)
Streets of Rage

Sonic The Hedgehog
UN Squadron

Super R-Type

All on the MiSTer. I did start another FFVI run, but nothing else provides that quick fix quite like the above selecsh.

Last night I started with Legend of Zelda. I killed the 4th dungeon boss and had an explore with some new abilities which netted two more pieces of heart and a letter for an old woman. 

After that, I flicked my Everdrive 64 into PAL mode and did some US ROM and S-Video testing which led to a lot of Waverace 64 and some F-Zero X. They’re still such good racers. The water in WR is sublime. 

To finish I played more NES. This time a little Solstice. I hate how continues work in this game. They’re like in memory save states that delete themselves when you use them. 

Other than that it’s a cool game, but I can’t get more than 2 or 3 of the staff pieces needed to finish the game. 

Recently I went back to Chrono Trigger on the RS97 for the first time in a while. I've never finished this - I always start the game and then get bored, shelve it, forget what I was doing and restart it. Right now I've just finished the Factory/Robo stuff, so we'll see how it goes. I am playing very sporadically though!

The battles are okay, and the presentation is decent, and coming from FFVI last year it's a very different flavour. One thing I do appreciate - as an inattentive player - is the structuring of the game (so far) into chapters (the chapter name is even included on the save file), and the format of "party jumps into a gate, has a miniature adventure and resolves a thing". Even though it's probably nothing new, it (psychologically) feels like it's easier to "digest" than one enormous journey.

EDIT: additional notes - just stumbled into 65m BC and met Ayla, who's already awesome. Also the Masa and Mune encounter earlier was fun - those names are a little on-the-nose, but the combination form was still ace.

The structure of the game is a masterpiece, IMO. Lovely linear potted adventures until the late game, when you get a bunch of non-linear time-trotting side-quests, one for each character. It also manages to have some genuinely challenging bosses, even if you know the systems well.

Currently playing Ys 1&2 on the PC Engine.

I’ve heard a fondness for this series so I’ve always wanted to give it a shot. I bought one on steam many moons ago and when it told me to ‘walk into enemies’ to fight them I was like WTF! and quickly disregarded it.

I’ve always had a nagging to return and wanted to start at the beginning having watched the intro to the PC Engine version and thinking it had great intrigue.

I’m a few hours in and I have to say the fighting doesn’t bother me at all now, I actually quite like it! I’m not a big RPG fan so this quick fire fighting idea actually works really well for me. 

I’ve done the first boss and got the first Ys book and already feel like I’m in it for the long haul now. It’s got me itching to get back and figure out the next steps.

CT update - cornered and defeated Magus (for now?) The elemental barrier stuff would have been daunting if I wasn't used to that RPG trope, and I had defence-lowering shenanigans available with the Masamune, not to mention a bunch of recovery items. Also shoutouts to the waste-a-turn-charging-a-spell move, which gave me a bit more time to get my shit together (or go in if I'm already healthy.) If anything, navigating the castle was the tricky bit, what with all of the traps and roaming enemies and hazards.

Went on to do some fairly straightforward exploring and battling in the prehistoric era and did the Tyrano/Azala stuff without too much trouble (since I'm coming into this super late I generally know that it's bad news when a boss starts using a countdown, so preparations were easy enough.)

EDIT: more:

The big bad of the game - Lavos - has been introduced (well, named), we went to the 12000 BC magic kingdom land (which was pretty mad, but I liked the visual design of the place), and after gaining the ability to finally open those sealed chests that had been teasing me for days (I can't recall all of their locations but I tried to backtrack to some of them), I ran around and opened a few. Also, the Epoch was introduced and it was exactly what I hoped would be introduced in the game - a more convenient fast-travel than the End of Time. Well, maybe.

E2: beat Giga Gaia first time. Turns out that Ayla's cat attack is great for damage, and I have Aura Whirl for healing duties. But then I got absolutely ruined by the pair of golems that make up a boss encounter in the Ocean Palace. I was too far in to get out safely, but I have been rotating saves, so I'll go back a bit and work on my levels.

I don’t know why I bought the new moto gp 2021 game.... I’ve been playing ridge racer revolution everyday. Novice and intermediate are easy enough, the expert one is taking a bit of working out. I can win it, but I’m not happy bumping a few walls.