rllmuk
MattyP

Currently playing...

1 hour ago, Ninja Doctor said:

I was just wondering if you used emulator to play or just grab a screenshot. 

I use RetroPie for almost all my retro games these days.

Probably wrong thread but I'll ask anyway.... How is Sega Naomi arcade emulation now? Really fancy playing some Scudracer!

As far as my retro playing, I've been spending an hour every few nights playing NBA Jam Tournament Edition on PS1. Still a lot of fun! So playable and great for a quick whirl here and there.

1 hour ago, bumclasshero said:

Probably wrong thread but I'll ask anyway.... How is Sega Naomi arcade emulation now? Really fancy playing some Scudracer!

As far as my retro playing, I've been spending an hour every few nights playing NBA Jam Tournament Edition on PS1. Still a lot of fun! So playable and great for a quick whirl here and there.

Scudrace is Model 3 and runs brilliantly with Supermodel.

Naomi games work great with Demul, which can also emulate Planet Harrier!

• Empathy 1

I bought a backlit original Gameboy Advance recently, so am finally cracking on with Metroid Zero Mission at the moment. Once done, the plan is to move on to Super Metroid on the SNES, which... whisper it... I've never played before.

• Upvote 3

PS2 is retro enough for me, so I was trying to play True Crime NYC. It started off okay, shooting seemed better than GTA, stacks of fighting moves that seem okay but I knew it would all go to button-mash shit when more than one person attacked me, just like Spiderman 2. But once I got past the tutorials the chugging framerate, awful driving and clunky controls were really stopping me enjoying the game. Overambitious is the word I'd use. Might give it one more go but I'd need a bloody crib sheet with all the moves on it to remind me.

• Upvote 1

@Vimster that is why Sleeping Dogs is such a revelation. Same team, based upon a revamped engine that originates from the True Crime series. Like night and day.

• Upvote 2

On 28/05/2018 at 14:50, Camel said:

World of Illusion starring Donald Duck and 'Mickey Bouse'.

IMG_0369.thumb.JPG.6c6597b7380df98213e4748dd0deb5cc.JPG

Theres a few SNES Mickey and Donald ones that are Co-Op! Same with Mega Drive. One of the SNES ones only came out in Japan, think its like World of Illusion 3 or something!

^ that one is co-op.  World of Illusion with Donald and Mickey.  Daughter is too young to 'get' using a pad so far, so she just likes watching for now. 

Just now, Camel said:

^ that one is co-op.  World of Illusion with Donald and Mickey.  Daughter is too young to 'get' using a pad so far, so she just likes watching for now. 

Oh yeah I was saying theres other games in the 'of Illusion' series with co-op, thought she was playing so yeah reeled off them. Love me some co-op games! Im trying to find all the great ones :D.

• Upvote 1

Zak McKracken & The Alien Mindbenders, the original C64 version, in ScummVM. I played through Maniac Mansion prior to this, my first time playing through the C64 games (I've played the hell out of the later Amiga, PC and FM Towns ports).

It's pretty rough, to be honest. Zak was always the flakiest of the Lucasarts games, but got away with it due to the charm and silliness of the whole setup. While Maniac C64 oozed charm despite the limited pallette, probably because Gary Winnick (Lucasarts' only artist back then) was the co-lead, Zak just looks rough as arseholes - the characters have sub-Playmobil levels of expressiveness, lots of the backgrounds are just flat colour, etc. As with Maniac Mansion though, the C64 music knocks the spots off the PC Speaker versions I'm more familiar with.

Gameplay wise, it's way more ambitious than Maniac Mansion in some ways (it spans several continents and two planets, with four playable characters), but much less coherent as a result, and it has unforgivable (if not ultimately too hard) mazes. The only ones I like are the jungle mazes between the airports and some tropical locations, as they're literally a joke - provided you never double back on yourself and just keep advancing, regardless of which route you take, you'll get to the destination. It's also much more possible to get stuck than it was in Maniac Mansion, where you you pretty much had to kill one of the kids to get irrevocably stuck. It's also pretty linear compared to Manic, with few/no alternative solutions and a lot of trial and error required.

Thankfully the keyboard shortcuts for the various verbs work in Zak C64 - they didn't in Maniac C64, and as a hardcore SCUMMer, it was unbearable. I still can't believe people used to play these moving the cursor with a joystick.

• Upvote 3

I seem to have got into the arcade version of Wonderboy 3 recently. I’m really enjoying its mix of platformer / shooter. The continual scroll keeps up the pace and the ever diminishing energy means you’re continually faced with the risk / reward mechanic of dodging enemies in an effort to keep your energy topped up.

I got onto a countryside level for the first time the other evening. It’s after the bat boss. The enemies on this level take loads of hits so you need to do a lot more dodging than on previous levels.

The presentation is first rate, and I feel it just plays really nicely.

Give it a go!

• Upvote 3

On 14/06/2018 at 14:22, Alexlotl said:

Thankfully the keyboard shortcuts for the various verbs work in Zak C64 - they didn't in Maniac C64, and as a hardcore SCUMMer, it was unbearable. I still can't believe people used to play these moving the cursor with a joystick.

Not only did I play Maniac Mansion on a C64 moving the cursor with a joystick, but I had to play it in German. And it was still awesome. Three wrongs make a right :)

• Upvote 1

On 18/03/2018 at 19:35, bumclasshero said:

Mainly been playing PES 5 on my PS2. Master league with Lazio, it's been great fun and I genuinely believe there's not been a better football game released than the PS2 games. The playability of them is great, but there actually a lot deeper than it initially seems. I'm on the lookout for Memory Cards with option files to get all the real kits to improve the experience but it's been great fun anyway!

I believe it's the best PES game still, but modern FIFA's have taken its template and run with it. 

Interestingly, I've been playing it myself with techniques I've learned with modern games and so many work. It's such a deep game and a once wonderful series. 

On 15/03/2018 at 18:32, Freeman said:

UN Squadron (for the millionth time, but first time in 15 years) and Stunt Race FX (for the first time). 

UN is amazing, with amazing music too boot. 

SRFX is charming as hell, despite the interesting frame rate. It's making me want a modern remake. It's not the easiest though. Really doesn't need the timer... 

I love Stunt Race FX. I've got both US and JP over clocked so they run a little smoother. So much brilliant content and would love a modern game. 

On 19/03/2018 at 08:33, ScouserInExile said:

I sorted out my retro / last gen area on Saturday, meaning everything is now permanently plugged in. When I booted up my PS3, I discovered Gran Turismo 2 was in the drive so gave it a bit of my time. It's still a great game, as long as you can get past the visuals. A lot of fun to play, one of the better competition structures - though this is easy to game, some really good tracks. It's just a good game all round.

I also dusted off the fifth and sixth games in the series yesterday. I remember now why I made the switch to Forza. They aren't good.

GT1 remains the best I feel. The visuals are just smoother overall and it feels a touch better than 2 to play. All the reflections etc added to the cars seem to hit performance with 2, still good though. 

• Upvote 1

On 22/07/2018 at 23:10, nakamura said:

I love Stunt Race FX. I've got both US and JP over clocked so they run a little smoother. So much brilliant content and would love a modern game. 

GT1 remains the best I feel. The visuals are just smoother overall and it feels a touch better than 2 to play. All the reflections etc added to the cars seem to hit performance with 2, still good though. 

Always thought 4 was a bit sterile . 3 I played loads. For some reason I think I like 1 the best too. Always thought I d missed out by not playing 2.

5 minutes ago, bplus said:

Always thought 4 was a bit sterile . 3 I played loads. For some reason I think I like 1 the best too. Always thought I d missed out by not playing 2.

4 was a brilliant package for sure but it was the turn to a real sterile experience. The colours were muted, the effects dialed back. It just didn't feel as fun, for want of a better term.  The series may be more accurate than ever, but it doesn't really replicate the sheer thrill of racing for me.

24 minutes ago, nakamura said:

4 was a brilliant package for sure but it was the turn to a real sterile experience. The colours were muted, the effects dialed back. It just didn't feel as fun, for want of a better term.  The series may be more accurate than ever, but it doesn't really replicate the sheer thrill of racing for me.

In some ways 1 was sort of as bright as a Sega racer. 4 really wasn't. I enjoyed 3 though.

• Upvote 1

Still feeling the Cave PS2 love but I've mostly switched to Espgaluda which is a lot more accessible (difficulty-wise) with its barrier and kakusei mode. Currently getting as far as level 4 on one credit. Very much doubt I'll ever 1CC it.  

Also I've gone back to PN03 on the GameCube and I feel like I might actually be getting more of a feel for it on what must be my fifth attempt at clicking with this gorgeous and unique wiggle'em-up.

• Upvote 1

On 26/07/2018 at 16:52, bplus said:

. Always thought I d missed out by not playing 2.

I would definitely rate 2 higher than 1. I think the racing is better, though the AI has always been fairly awful in the GT series, and it has a much more interesting competition structure. It's a bit easier to play, since the handling isn't as twitchy as in the original, and there's no real grind involved because it throws cars are you constantly.

GT3 is the best of the lot, IMO. Again due to the competition structure, the handling and the racing. GT4 just seemed to lose a bit of shine and got a bit dull to play. And I just didn't get on with the PS3 incarnations, they were really sterile and not a lot of fun to play - the constant rolling starts ruined the racing.

DOOM on the Jag.  It really is superb.  I think I prefer it to everything that side of Zdoom.  Full screen, fast and smooth and I don't mind the lack of in-level music - it works for me in the same way the scant soundtrack of DOOM64 works.  Absolutely love it.