Currently playing...

On 29/09/2020 at 18:43, Qazimod said:

FFVI update:

"Form three groups from your entire party so that they can each go off and do different things. You have been levelling everyone up equally, right?"

:( 

Update: eight dragons down, but I had to warp out soon after due to resources. So I'll have to retread a lot of old ground when I return... :doh: 

I do kind of like the "job" system in this, but there are some gimmicks that feel much less useful than others - some definite winners and losers - and I'm kind of feeling the limitations as I'm managing these three groups...

FFVI update: game complete.

The tower was one hell of a gauntlet but I stumbled through what I could. I feel like things like the dragons and the triad were harder than Kefka at times, but maybe I was just being conservative with the last few battles so that I could throw everything at him. :D 

My last save had just under 43 hours on the clock with most people’s levels in the mid 50s. Terra and Sabin were around the 60s because they were always being used; Locke was Lv82 because he had an Economizer from Dino Island (1MP cost), the Gem Box from the cultist’s tower (X-Magic) and the Ragnarok esper (Ultima). So yeah, he was doing some heavy lifting.

This isn't my first time attempting to play this, but it is my first time finishing it. I can see why it gets a lot of love - the story and the character arcs are good, the better jobs are fun, the presentation and music are awesome - my only big gripe might be the legwork required after certain failed attempts, whether that's via levelling up or literally walking through tons of battles to get somewhere because of cruel save point placement. (Oh, and there were some real winners and losers with that "job" system - some abilities seemed pretty daft compared to others!) I'm glad I tried it again though. :wub: 

Got the hdmi adaptor working on the ps2, just needed power via mini-usb. so obviously I’ve tried GT4’s 1080i mode. 

it’s not pretty. I’ll get around to recording a bit, later

also, weirdly... sterile, without the engine noises. I was playing on the 2nd telly in the front room, and didn’t bother with head phones, as I was only testing. Saying that, my matcatz wireless mini pad doesn’t have rumble either.

and why do so many ps2 titles not know there are TWO memory card slots, and insist on defaulting to slot A?

also, my pandora 12 is still dead, so played blazing star (middling) and thrash rally (poor) on the MVS. I wish I was more into fighting games...

Well that's me done with Metroid Fusion I think. I bailed right at the end because the boss is a pain in the arse without the extra dozen or so extra health tanks hidden around the map. I really can't be arsed to hunt them all down.
I'd give this game about a 7.5 out of 10. The first half of the game is probably a 9.5 or 10, it's really great, feels super tight and the graphics, sound and general presentation are just superb.
After about half way the game starts to feel a bit of a chore. The boss battles are quite frustrating and just not very fun (it took about 40 hits to destroy the second security robot (I was counting). It wasn't hard, it just took forever). Also, the save rooms were always a dozen or so screens away from the boss room, so if you die you have an annoying journey back. There are a few WTF moments where progression depends on making your way through a false wall which just isn't signposted at all (not a bombable wall just a gap in what looks solid). Seems weird to have left out the XRay beam if they were going to do that. 
I'd also forgotten how much I disliked the 'space jump'. The game is so much better before it's introduced. It makes for some really inelegant platforming (it would be much better to replace it with a jetpack or something).
I'm still really glad I played it and I'll probably revisit it again in the future. If so I'll probably check a walkthrough to make sure I get all the health tanks which will probably ease the frustration.

@JamesC When you say “end boss,” do you mean 

Spoiler

the SA-X? I don’t want to spoil too much, but the encounter is interesting from a thematic point of view, as it plays around with the identity of Samus as the ultimate force in the galaxy. It’s a difficult thing to balance, though: it’s obvious the designers wanted this to be a difficult battle, but I can see how it could become a frustrating one.

Jeremy Parish’s analysis in his Anatomy of Games website is worth a read.

Yeah I meant the 

Spoiler

SA-X although I know there's another monster after that. 

I actually defeated it a few times but was so low on health that the subsequent X parasite killed me. 

I know I could complete the game, either with a bit more practice on the boss battle or with half an hour spent on the busy work of collecting hidden energy tanks. I just feel like I've pretty much seen everything the game has to offer by this point, so don't have much motivation to do either. 

After finishing with Metroid Fusion, I decided I'd stick with the GBA and start a playthrough of Zelda: The Minish Cap. 

I'm just about to start on the Wind Temple and so far I'm really, really enjoying it. 

I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Zelda - I really enjoy the dungeons and like a bit of flavour in the overworld but some games either feel too long and laborious (Ocarina) or just too twee and self consciously quirky (all that shit with Tingle ((though I still really like Wind Waker)). 

I have to say, this one hasn't really put a foot wrong so far. 

I think my favourite Zelda is probably Link Between Worlds and so far I think this is on a par with that one. 

Minish is 90% excellent, but needed more time in the oven. There's a sidequest involving three characters which you can only complete for two, and it's possible to get to the final dungeon (and save there, with no return) without finding the hidden sword skill that you pretty much need to actually get through it. The aesthetic is ace though, the whole big world/tiny world interaction works great, and the mole mitts might be my favourite 2D Zelda power-up ever.

49 minutes ago, Colonel Panic said:

I keep meaning to play Minish Cap but my last attempt on the MISTer GBA core ended in failure as it wouldn’t render the save file creation screen for me. 

I'm playing via Gameboy Player on a CRT. It looks and sounds great on the big screen. 

GBA games are very nearly full screen on a 4:3 TV. There's a small outer border but I reckon the game covers at least 90% of the screen. 

Original GameBoy and GBC games play in a smaller window though. 

Once you have the hardware there are other software mods you can load to make the games take up more of the screen and look better but tbh I'm really happy with the off-the-shelf version. 

Sonic - Sega master system.

Pretty much got the first 3 zones down, although, I could probably use a better technique for robotnik on stage 3/forest. Also found the 3 emeralds for where I'm up to.

Never got past labyrinth or found the emerald either.

Probably too tired for one last play before bed, so a Saturday session is something to look forward to.

Currently playing Rocket Knight Adventures on the Megadrive.

Wow, what an amazing piece of software it is! It’s absolutely bursting with ideas of platform action and all of it super well done.

I had always thought ‘yea, it will be a good game’ but always kinda wrote it off as a 7/10 attempted mascot game. I was completely wrong, the game has totally sucker punched me. The fact that you can still pick this up for a decent retro price is a mockery to collecting. This game should be the top of everyone’s list!

I don’t really want to spoil anything but every level is completely unique (currently at stage 5). Even within a level the game hops around with what you do to always keep it interesting. Stage 5 as a wonderful homage to another Konami game :)

The boost mechanic, which I initially thought was a bit silly, is actually very clever. When you first start you’re flying all over the place and getting yourself into ll sorts of trouble. However once you get versed in level design, enemies etc. you can use the boost very strategically. It’s a speed runners delight!

Such a shame that this character failed to make an impact and is relegated to the past. I’m definitely on the look out to pick up Sparkster now.

Getting in some obscure Saturn gaming in at the moment with Texthoth Ludo ~Arcana Senki~ which is a rather enjoyable fantasy take on the board game Ludo. Japanese only and took awhile to understand some elements of it, but starting to get the hang of it and very enjoyable. Uses Tarot cards as well, which you use to move and fight with, object is just to reach the goal. It's also four play to in multiplayer mode. Certainly not a friendly game for none Japanese reading players.

Japanese name is テクストート・ルド ~アルカナ戦記~ (Think Texthoth might be mistranslated on the net as some site suggest it as texttote which makes better sense as tote is a an old word that means, carry, wield, or convey (something heavy or substantial) so great text, Senki is also also War Record which is often changed to the word Chronicles in English.

46 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Currently playing Rocket Knight Adventures on the Megadrive.

Wow, what an amazing piece of software it is! It’s absolutely bursting with ideas of platform action and all of it super well done.

I had always thought ‘yea, it will be a good game’ but always kinda wrote it off as a 7/10 attempted mascot game. I was completely wrong, the game has totally sucker punched me. The fact that you can still pick this up for a decent retro price is a mockery to collecting. This game should be the top of everyone’s list!

I don’t really want to spoil anything but every level is completely unique (currently at stage 5). Even within a level the game hops around with what you do to always keep it interesting. Stage 5 as a wonderful homage to another Konami game :)

The boost mechanic, which I initially thought was a bit silly, is actually very clever. When you first start you’re flying all over the place and getting yourself into ll sorts of trouble. However once you get versed in level design, enemies etc. you can use the boost very strategically. It’s a speed runners delight!

Such a shame that this character failed to make an impact and is relegated to the past. I’m definitely on the look out to pick up Sparkster now.

I recently played Rocket Knight Adventures on my epic playthrough of Megadrive mascot platformers and was similarly blown away.

It becomes apparent pretty quickly that it's not really a typical mascot platformer at all and incorporates all sorts of varied play mechanics. A really great game.

Another that's full of variety and well worth a play through is Dynamite Headdy. It took me a few levels to really appreciate it (and to really get a handle on the control) but it's great.

8 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Didn't Dynamite Heady suffer badly from the whole "crank the difficulty for the west to stop people finishing it on a rental" thing?

Possibly, but I didn't find it too horrendously difficult and it definitely remains fun throughout. I know there was quite a bit of story/cutscene stuff that was cut and never translated though. 

There's a nice easy level select code for the game, so I just used that on my playthrough. 

44 minutes ago, Alexlotl said:

Didn't Dynamite Heady suffer badly from the whole "crank the difficulty for the west to stop people finishing it on a rental" thing?

Yes it's a bit broken. However, there's an excellent localisation patch that restores the difficulty of the Japanese version. It's still difficult though. Astounding game, just bursting with character, full of original ideas and chock full of surprises.

Samurai Shodown 2 on the Neo Geo - I am slowly getting better at it and like the less manic nature of it compared to most other fighting series. I have never really got used to arcade sticks as a control method, and still can't on the AES, but will persevere to see if it finally clicks.

On 12/10/2020 at 11:47, Alexlotl said:

I’ve been reading up on Rocket Knight Adventures and it sounds like the US version got this treatment.

Basically, the US’s easy made is the equivalent to the JPN hard mode AND they made it so you can’t finish the game on easy. There’s hidden difficulties on the JPN mode; Very Hard and Crazy Hard, these are the US version’s Normal and Hard modes.

Saying all this I think Very Hard is actually pretty plausible as there’s plenty on 1ups to pick up along the way. Crazy Hard is another story though. Crazy Hard is 1 life, 1 hit death. I gave it a try and barely made it 5 screens before being clipped and getting a game over

I know some Konami games you needed to finish the game on Hard to see the ‘full’ ending. If that’s the case for this game there’s no way anyone ever finished it in the US.

The Euro version sounds like a mix. Uses the JPN difficulties but imposes the not being able to finish it on the easier difficulty.

On 12/10/2020 at 22:40, Nessark said:

Chrono Trigger (finally). I played the DS version years ago but abandoned it after getting to the End of Time. Now that I have the SNES cart I'm playing it all the way through for the first time. 16 hours in.

Having finished FFVI earlier this month, this is the "other" big SNES RPG I want to retry sometime. I didn't exactly abandon it - it's more accurate to say that I never invested time in it to begin with. :blush: One day...

16 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Having finished FFVI earlier this month, this is the "other" big SNES RPG I want to retry sometime. I didn't exactly abandon it - it's more accurate to say that I never invested time in it to begin with. :blush: One day...

That ome ould be TODAY!!! It's my Goat without doubt, such happy memories as a teenager playing this, and then playing through on the 20th anniversary, simply a fantastic game, graphics are great, the score is neigh on perfect, the story beats are interwoven in such a good way and the multiple endings are just the cherry on the cake, plus, if I'm not mistaken, this is the game we owe "New Game +" to, isn't it?

Rocket Knight Adventures finished. Excellent game! It has instantly jumped into my top 5 Megadrive games (not that I’m an expert for MD games)

Last level is pretty tricky but even on hard I was able to build up 12 lives throughout the game to tackle it.

I bought Sparkster in anticipation for another excellent adventure. It turned up yesterday and I put it on for a quick test/look....Hmmmmm, reaaaaally not sure but will reserve judgement for now.

I then put on World of Illusion, as I’ve had a quick play a number of times but really wanted to get stuck in to see how it compared to wonderful Castle of Illusion.

Wow! This may well be the easiest game I’ve ever played. Finished it on my 2nd attempt and that’s only because I chose to not use credits on the 1st!

Why this game needs continues or a password system (a freakin password system!) is beyond me! There’s no difficulty select either.

This game had to be aimed at young kids, which is fair enough I suppose but games ‘specifically for kids’ were kinda unheard of back in the day and I imagine a few people would have been disappointed by the difficulty.

It’s a charming game but unfortunately due to how easy it is, I’m not going to find it particularly memorable 

Started playing X-Men Legends II on PS2 (played the first game but never the second) and it instantly made me want to get the Ultimate Alliance games again after it. Obviously the template was built on in the UA games but there's still a good selection of powers for each character to play around with, stats to improve, gear to equip and fodder to punch/zap/laser in the face.

It's jolly good fun and I wish we saw more of these games now.

I finished a playthrough of Castlevania - Circle of the Moon this morning. The Dracula fight was a bit of a pain but once I figured out a strategy and a rhythm it wasn't too bad.

I really enjoyed the game. It isn't quite as slick or balanced as Symphony but it's still very good and pretty amazing for such an early GBA game. The fact that, once completed, you can play through again with different abilities (I think there are five different play through modes in total) must have made this one of the best value for money games on the system.

I think I'd rate it about an 8 /10 overall - my main criticism being the slightly dodgy control which made boss battles more frustrating than they needed to be. The double tap to dash thing just felt a bit clunky and I couldn't understand why they didn't just make the character move faster all the time. 

It's a really good game though. I have the other two GBA Vanias lined up, as well as Metroid Zero Mission but I think I'll play something a bit lighter before tackling those.