Currently playing...

Since lockdown curtailed my wasting money in shops I’ve ramped up my wasting money online. A friend gave me a GameCube so I sorted out getting Swiss on a memory card and a sd2sp2 adapter, gameboy player and preorder a rad2x. 

then I resurrect my mother in laws Wii so I pick up an official component cable but still unhappy with the video out on GameCube stuff so I’ve ordered a gcvideo adapter for the cube and will go back to using that. 

anyway, through all of that I’m sort of playing Skies of Arcadia Legends but to be honest it’s not pulling me in. Oh and Mario 64 on Wii VC. 

I'm playing Striker Manager on the Spectrum. I think my original Spectrum died not long after this came out, so I never got around to giving it a go (after loving the previous game, Striker). It's brutal, not least because the keyboard is so unresponsive, it never shoots when you want it to (and then the path of the ball seems fairly random too). Luckily there's a rewind feature on the emulator I'm using, which helps, but as you start with a terrible team, the management side of it is tough too.

Playing it though has made me wonder what I actually used to play as a kid on my Spectrum. I know I played pretty much every football game on there (D&H Games and their budget label, Cult, made so many), but I can't really think what else - and when looking at any games list it's all the more well-known stuff and I'm not really interested in most of the 'classics'.

Likewise on the C64 - I remember spending an age on Emlyn Hughes (what a great game that was), but I can't think of much else I played.

Where is good for finding out about lesser known games for the Speccy and C64?

6 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

That should be illegal, Sean. 

I can get colour s-video if I switch to a PAL N64.

Meanwhile, I've been enjoying Nightmare Creatures.

Since losing my PSone disc, while experimenting with emulation in the first couple of years of this century, I've wanted to go back to it.

slightly iffy controls, not quite tank, but still clunky.

And the spitafield level layout... no wonder she's out of breath.

Had a good 20 minute or so run on Wonderboy in Monster Land on the SMS yesterday. If I had time to devote to acing a retro game right now, it would be this.

Watched a Let’s Play run-through while doing the dishes - the amount of unlabelled secret doors just gets silly towards the end, and there are various tricks you have to use to beat some bosses twice for extra money. Basically, money management becomes more important than health management.

Still, it’s a gorgeous, great sounding game with a big place in my heart, so I’ll keep plugging away at it vaguely. 

Retro wise I've been playing the SNES RPG Solid Runner on Super Nintendo. Rather interest cyberpunk mech themed game that never left Japan. Battles are far to frequent, but the art and settings are great it's a very run down world and for a 1997 game looks very impressive.

Also finished Holy Diver on NES the other week fun, but rather hard game.

Finally got a UK PSU for my early DC today, so tested it by firing up Jet Set Radio. I remember getting this when it came out, but not really playing it much.

Positives: It looks great and it sounds great (I am using a 14" CRT monitor so probably doesn't look quite so great on a proper TV).

Negatives: The controls are unimaginably terrible, the camera is a typical late 90s effort, the difficulty level is insane (several SWAT teams with tear gas and a guy with a pistol to take down your skinny rollerblader armed only with paint, I think a tank appears at some point) and if that isn't enough to make you want to throw the controller across the room, there are time limits.

It is clearly awful and completely unfair, but I keep wanting to have another go for some reason.

• Empathy 1
9 minutes ago, mikejenkins said:

Negatives: The controls are unimaginably terrible, the camera is a typical late 90s effort, the difficulty level is insane (several SWAT teams with tear gas and a guy with a pistol to take down your skinny rollerblader armed only with paint, I think a tank appears at some point) and if that isn't enough to make you want to throw the controller across the room, there are time limits.

It is clearly awful and completely unfair, but I keep wanting to have another go for some reason.

Your phone appears to have autocorrected a whole chunk of text into something that no right-minded human would ever put to screen.

• Upvote 1

Tried out Super Smash Wii U today. Verdict is that it’s alright. I was expecting a master piece after checking the reviews, and while it looks great and has lots of options, there just wasn’t the substance I was looking for. I guess I need to wait for Covid to piss off then get some friends over for some couch vs to get the best experience.

i wish memory cards and saving on the N64 wasn't quite so shit.

i got my brawlers out the garage, and then proceeded to play Waialae Country Club, mainly because I hadn't enjoyed Pebble Beach on the SEGA Saturn, by the same developers.

I'm a sucker for punishment...

On 03/08/2020 at 16:13, mikejenkins said:

Finally got a UK PSU for my early DC today, so tested it by firing up Jet Set Radio. I remember getting this when it came out, but not really playing it much.

Positives: It looks great and it sounds great (I am using a 14" CRT monitor so probably doesn't look quite so great on a proper TV).

If you can, try Future, it fixes a lot of this stuff.

Playing Final Fantasy Adventure (aka Mystic Quest, aka the original 'Mana') and that is one bad English localisation! :lol:

The game feels a bit like Zelda but more clunky, and with levelling-up - so I don't feel too bad about wandering around aimlessly as at least I can earn some exp.

Super Mario Sunshine. 

Testout out a GameCube I've been working on and thought I'd give it a go! Looks like I never got all 120 stars in this one!

Finding it quite hard actually. The first void level is hard, and without the running jump move, I've got no skills! 

IMG_5463.thumb.jpg.8ec75e4edfdf3e2cdb1f5ae36a3d090a.jpg

IMG_5462.thumb.jpg.51c1b99ce6e40ea7a87c4b4ac097c386.jpg

• Upvote 2

Street Fight 30th Anniversary Collection.

I've just bought one of those Brock 360 > Bone converters and this is a joy to play with a Madcatz Street Fighter IV fightpad. Such arcade memories from the original Street Fighter II

• Upvote 1

Resident Evil 2 on Gamecube.

First time playing it. I didn't have a Playstation, so my introduction to the series was with REmake, then I played Zero, 4 and Revelations after that. The 2, 3 and CV GC releases passed me by -  probably at the time I was put off by them being straight ports of the PS1 games rather than remakes. Ironically it's precisely because they're not remakes that I've turned to them now - I didn't want to dive straight into the recent RE2 remake without having played the original.

It's rather good isn't it? Finished Leon's campaign, on to Claire's.

With my Wii! :)

Still soldiering on since 2006 didn't have the heart to sell it and the Wii Fit board oh countless clear outs I've had over the years. Love Yoga on the Wii Fit board and Wii Sports. It's just a damn fine versitile machine. The disk drive is starting to have a few errors so going to go through the guide to modding and get the disks ripped onto some solid state storage.Not sure how easy this will be! Already got so far as getting the homebrew channel on there! :)

This little machine is still awesome! Whilst people are spending silly money on switches with ring fit etc I'm just powering this up and doing some Wii Fit. :)

Even picked up a few games to play with the children this weekend - Monkey Ball Banana Blitz and Tiger Woods Gold. Grand total of £3.50!!!! Bargain gaming right there!  :)

Sometimes people just keep craving for the new without actually looking what's in front of their eyes (and significantly cheaper too!) . You can get a whole Wii setup with balance board and a collection of games for less than Ring Fit on it's own! Also plays host to some of the best Mario Games created IMHO. Oh and a HDMI converter is around a fiver on the internet.

• Upvote 1
3 hours ago, RastanSaga said:

On famicom.

IMG_20200817_121953.jpg

What is that version like? Have it on the PS4 and I think its an actual emulation by Hamster. Really good and has an high scores table too if you really want that retro arcade feel.

Salamander is also part of the Arcade Classics Pack from Konami - you have to select the "Japanese versions" from the game selection screen to gain access to it or you'll get the life force version with the green background and different speech.

Awesome game... this and R-Type are amongst my favourite shooters.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, MattyP said:

What is that version like? Have it on the PS4 and I think its an actual emulation by Hamster. Really good and has an high scores table too if you really want that retro arcade feel.

Salamander is also part of the Arcade Classics Pack from Konami - you have to select the "Japanese versions" from the game selection screen to gain access to it or you'll get the life force version with the green background and different speech.

Awesome game... this and R-Type are amongst my favourite shooters.

It's great, but I don't have anything to compare it with.

Konami 8 bit stuff is generally on the money though :)

Jumpin' Kid Jack to Mame no Ki Monogatari  such a cute game :)

IMG_20200817_170356.jpg

IMG_20200817_170508.jpg

• Upvote 1