rllmuk
MattyP

Currently playing...

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. I have tried many times to play more than an hour or so of this game, PS1 and Dreamcast, but I always seem to get bored and give up. I don't have any of the original hardware anymore, so I tried playing the PS1 version on the Vita. This is pretty tough going - the framerate struggles to hit 30, it's sluggish to control, and using the touch screen to replace the second set of shoulder buttons is not ideal. I could have lived with it, but then I got graphical glitches - the whole screen went fuzzy during first boss fight, then all the textures got replaced with fuzz like I was stuck in the Matrix, making it almost unplayable. I thought PS1 emulation was supposed to be pretty much perfect on Vita? :unsure: Maybe I'm just cursed to never complete this game!

Undeterred, I'm now trying the Dreamcast version on PC (with Redream). So far, it's working really well! It's a much smoother version of the game, targetting 60fps, and although it's a barely enhanced port, it does at least look a lot more solid. Also I've set the controls to something sensible, so that's fixed too. I think I might actually beat it this time, so long as I don't get stuck and/or bored again. It's a very good game, it's just a bit hard-going.

• Upvote 1

@Sprite Machine

Haha I think this curse extends to me as well because once way back in the early 2000’s while at uni. Maybe 2002, a friend of mine gave me some of his CDR’s of copies for the PS1 because I had a chipped machine already. Anyway I played this and got as far as the first boss (which I remember taking a while), then suddenly the game froze during the opening sequence. Couldn’t believe it as I don’t think it saves at all in between the start and that point. I had to start again anyway and although this time was a bit quicker, once I got to that first boss, the game froze on the exact same spot. Never did play it again after that. 

On 24/04/2020 at 11:45, Dudley said:

Pointed the Saturn at the OSSC and played some lesser known Sega arcade ports.

One good, one less so as it turns out.

2020-04-23 20.29.47-1.jpg

2020-04-23 20.48.00-1.jpg

I'm intrigued what order you rate these in? I remember buying both when they came out: Manx TT looks a bit janky in places (for instance the bike models are completely hollow if you see them from the front), but it plays a solid game. Touring Car is just awful though. I remembered reading it was by the same team as Sega Rally (not sure if that's actually true though), so was all excited about it, but it's unplayable.

I tried both out recently again and that opinion still stands. Touring Car is still an awful, unplayable mess of a port, whilst Manx TT is surprisingly fun!

• Upvote 2

23 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. I have tried many times to play more than an hour or so of this game, PS1 and Dreamcast, but I always seem to get bored and give up. I don't have any of the original hardware anymore, so I tried playing the PS1 version on the Vita. This is pretty tough going - the framerate struggles to hit 30, it's sluggish to control, and using the touch screen to replace the second set of shoulder buttons is not ideal. I could have lived with it, but then I got graphical glitches - the whole screen went fuzzy during first boss fight, then all the textures got replaced with fuzz like I was stuck in the Matrix, making it almost unplayable. I thought PS1 emulation was supposed to be pretty much perfect on Vita? :unsure: Maybe I'm just cursed to never complete this game!

Undeterred, I'm now trying the Dreamcast version on PC (with Redream). So far, it's working really well! It's a much smoother version of the game, targetting 60fps, and although it's a barely enhanced port, it does at least look a lot more solid. Also I've set the controls to something sensible, so that's fixed too. I think I might actually beat it this time, so long as I don't get stuck and/or bored again. It's a very good game, it's just a bit hard-going.

15 hours ago, Soulstar said:

@Sprite Machine

Haha I think this curse extends to me as well because once way back in the early 2000’s while at uni. Maybe 2002, a friend of mine gave me some of his CDR’s of copies for the PS1 because I had a chipped machine already. Anyway I played this and got as far as the first boss (which I remember taking a while), then suddenly the game froze during the opening sequence. Couldn’t believe it as I don’t think it saves at all in between the start and that point. I had to start again anyway and although this time was a bit quicker, once I got to that first boss, the game froze on the exact same spot. Never did play it again after that. 

I'm struggling with the DC version as well now. It's freezing as it streams the environment, and then it locked up completely and I lost half an hour's progress. The curse continues!

I think I'm done, I don't really want to play any more. I made some good progress earlier and beat the second(?) boss, but only after a two hour session, most of which was spent awkwardly climbing over and slipping on massive metal pipes and pushing around cube blocks while fighting spider vampires. :( There's a good game in there but it's wrapped in frustration and a very confusing/repetitive environment.

I think it's the type of game that, were it released just three or four years later, could be genuinely excellent. But it came out when 3D action RPGs weren't very refined yet and it suffers from poor movement, combat and camera control. Feels stodgy and stiff.

I’ve set up my ps2 mini with a crt near to my work desk and bought a bunch of light gun games that I never bothered with.

id played Vampire Night once in the arcade and thought it was just hotd with vampires...and as the conversion was Namco I’d always presumed it was their game aping hotd...so got a surprise that it is actually a Sega game which thankfully made sense as the script and camp acting were completely from the world of hotd. Kinda enjoyed it for what it was but not as much fun as blowing holes in zombies. Nice settings and set pieces.

got Ninja Assault to try next and Crisis Zone...would quite like Virtua Cop 2 but seems a bit pricey for it...and I’m sure Police 24/7 used to be dirt cheap back in the day of people offloading ps2 games so surprised that is comparatively pricey now too...certainly more than I’d be willing to spend 

Mega Man X2.

This is not only the most I've ever enjoyed a Mega Man game, it's been an epiphany of sorts for retro gaming in general:

• It's the first MM I've played totally blind. Previously I'd used the series' reputation for difficulty as an excuse to research boss orders, or at least where to start but I now see I've been denying myself the fun of experimentation and wins against the odds. It's half the game ffs!
  • I'm playing on the X Legacy Collection on Switch which doesn't have save states and instead uses the original password system (albeit it stores that to save you entering it every time). I thought this was a pain at first but I'm being reminded that so long as the game is fair in other regards then this repetition is again part of the experience and it's probably no coincidence that in improving my skill through repetition and practice I'm enjoying the game so much more.

Anyway, all bosses down. Now to hunt for sub-tanks, hearts and upgrades before I go for the scary icon. Woo!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

Mega Man X2.

This is not only the most I've ever enjoyed a Mega Man game, it's been an epiphany of sorts for retro gaming in general:

• It's the first MM I've played totally blind. Previously I'd used the series' reputation for difficulty as an excuse to research boss orders, or at least where to start but I now see I've been denying myself the fun of experimentation and wins against the odds. It's half the game ffs!
  • I'm playing on the X Legacy Collection on Switch which doesn't have save states and instead uses the original password system (albeit it stores that to save you entering it every time). I thought this was a pain at first but I'm being reminded that so long as the game is fair in other regards then this repetition is again part of the experience and it's probably no coincidence that in improving my skill through repetition and practice I'm enjoying the game so much more.

Anyway, all bosses down. Now to hunt for sub-tanks, hearts and upgrades before I go for the scary icon. Woo!

Yes, I think I’ve mentioned this before somewhere but the levels in MM are kinda inconsequential. Part of game is that you play the levels many times because your quest to find out what weapon beats who. This makes you become a pro at getting to the end of a level, to the point where it’s not a big problem to get through.

To play through a level once, die to the boss and deem it hard is missing the point of the game.

Still, I think you’re doing well as by the time they hit the MMX games people were seasoned veterans of the series and they were made harder than the originals. In the early MMs you killed bosses in 2 hits when you had the right weapon. 

Set up the N64 so my daughter could play Pokemon Snap. Since she went to bed I've been playing F-Zero X. Finding it so tough on everything but novice.

19 hours ago, Goemon said:

Yes, I think I’ve mentioned this before somewhere but the levels in MM are kinda inconsequential. Part of game is that you play the levels many times because your quest to find out what weapon beats who. This makes you become a pro at getting to the end of a level, to the point where it’s not a big problem to get through.

To play through a level once, die to the boss and deem it hard is missing the point of the game.

Definitely. 

Another mental hurdle overcome on this one is I’m actually using the boss weapons rather than save them. They’re so much fun! Not to mention insanely powerful in the right circumstances. I’m so chuffed, an entire series has been opened up to me.  

• Upvote 1

As part of our quest to hoover up everything the streaming services have to offer during lockdown, I've recently been trying to get my girlfriend into Black Sails on Amazon Prime. As a direct result of this, I've started playing Pirates! Gold again on the Megadrive. I think I'd always suspected this to be the case, but the original is definitely better than the Xbox/PC/PSP/iPhone remake they made a number of years ago.

Currently midway through a Super Metroid playthrough. Save states are a lifesaver. 

I downloaded a twin-stick shooter pack for Coin-Ops Next. It's got a game on I'd never heard of before, called Gatling Gears. It looks to be by EA. It's a sort of top down WW2 game with steam punk elements. You control a two legged-walker robot and have to move over airfields, countrysides and the like. Standard twin stick controls but with extra weapons including grenades, rockets and a lightning smart bomb. 

It's great fun, and the graphics and sound are excellent. So odd to have never heard of it before. 

ss_d497795542b8e02b0af79427fc97c9d818a4b6b8.1920x1080.jpg

Mega Man X4. I finished X2 at the weekend which was by far my favourite game in the entire MM series and skipped the sequel for now (I hear it's good but more of the same) as I was desperate to see the 32-bit iteration. Game itself is great so far - I've got two Mavericks down! - but there are two major weirdnesses worth a mention:

• I play a lot of retro games on an HDTV and this is the only one I've ever needed a filter (CRT obviously) for. I'm disappointed with the look they went for on PS1 compared to the SNES games but even at that I'm surprised how much I dislike the raw look of it, it really needs the edges taken off it,
  • It uses sound effects from Phoenix Wright! There are two or three I've noticed so far, most prominently on the "title card" you get for the boss of a stage when you select it.

Has anyone else played Mega Man X4? I played the first about ten years ago when I still collected Super Famicom, then the sequel last week, both of which I enjoyed but found a real challenge. This is a pure doddle. And not in a good way. It’s still fun, but I’m only seeing the stages a handful of times and I’ve taken down a few bosses now with the X Buster on my first visit. There were stages in X2 I spent as long with as I’ve taken to beat six in this so far. It all just feels a bit inconsequential and cut-rate after the SNES ones. Disappointing. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

Has anyone else played Mega Man X4? I played the first about ten years ago when I still collected Super Famicom, then the sequel last week, both of which I enjoyed but found a real challenge. This is a pure doddle. And not in a good way. It’s still fun, but I’m only seeing the stages a handful of times and I’ve taken down a few bosses now with the X Buster on my first visit. There were stages in X2 I spent as long with as I’ve taken to beat six in this so far. It all just feels a bit inconsequential and cut-rate after the SNES ones. Disappointing. 

I've played it - another community I was part of had a huge Mega Man fan who posted now and then, and he maintained that X4 was probably the easiest MM game out there. I had a look just because I liked the idea of not stressing out too much over a Mega Man game... I can't remember if I ever finished it but I'm pretty sure I at least reached the final gauntlet of back-to-back bosses.

I think there was a boss in a fire world that you could completely stomp if you managed to keep your ride armor, a spider-web boss that was a pushover if you could jump its one projectile attack, and a... walrus? bear? boss with the silliest sliding animation ever. The only other tricky bit came from the things you needed to do in order to get certain sub-tanks; even after looking up the conditions it took a few attempts.

• Upvote 1

Yes! I’d just beaten Sliding Walrus-Bear when I posted that. He looks a total beast but unless the door goes and you forget to pause it then it’s hard to see anyone having problems with him. Like I said it’s still OK for what it is, and it’s not like me to complain about a game being easy, but X4 is certainly highlighting how much the challenge and sense of accomplishment brings to the experience. 

Incidentally I played a little Rockman and Forte earlier too just to check I hadn’t maybe got good at these games and can confirm that’s not the case. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/05/2020 at 00:01, Goose said:

I downloaded a twin-stick shooter pack for Coin-Ops Next. It's got a game on I'd never heard of before, called Gatling Gears. It looks to be by EA. It's a sort of top down WW2 game with steam punk elements. You control a two legged-walker robot and have to move over airfields, countrysides and the like. Standard twin stick controls but with extra weapons including grenades, rockets and a lightning smart bomb. 

It's great fun, and the graphics and sound are excellent. So odd to have never heard of it before. 

ss_d497795542b8e02b0af79427fc97c9d818a4b6b8.1920x1080.jpg

I really enjoyed the 360 port of this. Had totally forgotten about it though. 

Currently:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (Switch)

probably for the 12th time this. I’d just finished Layton on the switch and was looking for something new to play. Just five minutes I thought. Anyway, on final tower now before heading off to lay the smack down on piggy Ganon. Buggered if I can remember all the heart locations though. 

Half-Life 2 (x360)

I picked up the orange box a while back (£6) to have a spin on this. I had the PC version years ago but never got past Ravenholm. Cue 14 years later and I’m now storming through Nova Prospect with an army of Ant Lions at me back. 

Once half-life 2 is finished then it’s on to a second play through of Skies of Arcadia, the first being in 2002 on the Dreamcast. 

• Upvote 1

Legend of Zelda : The Minish Cap

Only the second time playing this, the first is so long ago that I can't remember it.

Started it up on the retroflag GPi, finally stuffed a load of things on there that I might play, I am questioning myself as to why I am playing it under emulation, when if I'd leaned over a bit further on my desk earlier, I could have picked up the GBA SP, slotted Minish Cap back in it and played the original on actual hardware, questioning my life choices currently :p

Anyway, so far the game is really quite fun and I have not remembered anything, it's great having so much time passed that the game feels fresh and new.

4BD1FFBD-A22E-438F-953E-07F255C5007E.jpeg.229fdf090aad9766f7bc5b230d2c1194.jpeg
and all heart containers found (missed 2: death mountain on way to third dungeon and stupid one in tenth dungeon where you have to use the mirror) eventually. 

I’m sure Ganon used to take more hits 

• Upvote 1

Decided to actually play stuff I've acquired on GoG, so it'll be some retro PC gaming for me - though I may branch out to other formats as little palette cleansers in between my the various bigger, modern games I have on the go.

Started Demon Stone last night, essentially a D&D take on the Lords of the Rings hack-and-slash games that had come out before this (and I really liked). It looks as you would imagine for a 2004 game, with very angular textures and lots of brown scenery, but it plays okay enough in the hour or so I put into it. With generous skill and equipment trees for each of the three characters there's some variety in the movesets which, even now, isn't always the case. The one pain though is that the automatic button-mapping leaves a lot to be desired, meaning I was playing a mix of Xbox controller and keyboard - I'll look at that before I next play it.

• Upvote 1

Predictably after my moaning the other day, Mega Man X4 has got hard right at the end. The boss rush is fun and not especially tricky but the final fight is over so quickly it might take me hours to fathom. and I doubt I've even seen his final form. I like it. If I sounded a little disappointed with it previously I should also bear in mind that there are two playable characters in this one, I'd forgotten that, so it's quite a substantial entry albeit I don't like it as much as the SNES ones overall.

Also started Seiken Densetsu 3 which is lovely. I liked the demo of the remake but I want to complete this first to have something to compare it to. Amazing to think it's 25 years old

• Upvote 1

On 03/05/2020 at 11:21, Goemon said:

Still, I think you’re doing well as by the time they hit the MMX games people were seasoned veterans of the series and they were made harder than the originals. In the early MMs you killed bosses in 2 hits when you had the right weapon. 

You’re not kidding! Having completed X2 and X4 recently I’m now playing Mega Man 2 and even with the buster I can’t believe how much damage I’m doing. I don’t think I’ve found a weakness yet but it seems already like you weren’t exaggerating. 

Trivia! One of the many times I didn’t get into Mega Man was with this game about ten years ago when I played Rockman 2 not knowing it was much harder than the western version. This is much more my level ^_^

Slowly continuing with Chrono Trigger here. Realised that I'm now as far on the SNES one as I last got to on the DS version years ago.

IMG_5061.thumb.jpeg.20e8a155853425979ecf6f99cbd2cdd8.jpegIMG_5064.thumb.jpeg.50aecb3c16ed78761c5a047bf3e50a54.jpeg