rllmuk
MattyP

Currently playing...

Blimey, you get the Power Bomb pretty early in Super Metroid, don'tcha?!

Excellent examples of visual learning with the alien 'ostrich' showing you how to spineshark and the little critters showing you how to wall jump. A simple idea but beautifully implemented.

Into the waters of Maridia now, and I'm getting a little stuck again. I'm not sure how to proceed yet but I'm definitely gonna need a Wave Beam soon, a Grapple thingy very soon, and a Gravity Suit even sooner! I may remember all the things you get but I can't remember where any of them are! :D

Might need to backtrack and see what I've missed. The problem with this game's map is that it doesn't show where doors are. It is very hard to remember where to return to.

EDIT: Forget Maridia for now, Norfair and Crateria are where it's at! Got the Spazer Beam, Wave Beam, Grapple Beam aaaaaaaaaand.... the X-Ray scope, which is awesome.

Metroid games! :wub:

Edited by Sprite Machine
  • Upvote 2

Just finished Mickey’s Magical Quest on the Super Famicom.

Literally just blasted through it in like less than 2 hours. I really don’t understand the unlimited continues idea that some games seem to employ. 

I remember it being considered an easier game back in the day but the idea that you could buy this for £40, get home, have one session and finish it seems crazy.

Its a lovely little game though. The different outfits are interestingly different but unfortunately under-used. The hook shot is great and I loved grappling around, but outside of the couple of levels of stage 4, I never really used it again.

Interested to play the sequels now, although the price seems to double with each follow up. 

12 hours ago, Goemon said:

Just finished Mickey’s Magical Quest on the Super Famicom.

Literally just blasted through it in like less than 2 hours. I really don’t understand the unlimited continues idea that some games seem to employ. 

I remember it being considered an easier game back in the day but the idea that you could buy this for £40, get home, have one session and finish it seems crazy.

Its a lovely little game though. The different outfits are interestingly different but unfortunately under-used. The hook shot is great and I loved grappling around, but outside of the couple of levels of stage 4, I never really used it again.

Interested to play the sequels now, although the price seems to double with each follow up. 

if you’re not fussed about boxes, regions etc, then the Japanese loose copies can be had for reasonable money. That’s how I got mine (even cheaper if you’re in Japan at the time).

They’re lovely games, great art style but yeah, a tad too easy. Relaxing gaming now, annoyingly short back in the day. 

Bushido Blade on the PS1 (well, Vita). One of the most idiosyncratic fighting games I've ever played, which is both a good and a bad thing. 'Realistic' kills, inflicting wounds and localised damage are all great ideas. The story mode's 'single stage' that you can run/climb around is just bloody bizarre and seems pointless, unless I'm missing something. And the 'code of honour', that the game never explains but is required for finishing it properly, is more frustrating than anything else. Particularly as the controls feel sluggish and I can't work out how most of the moves are done - including the rather important act of blocking. :unsure:

I was curious about this but I don't really 'get' it. It's probably better to spend some time with it and focus on two-player mode, but that's not gonna happen.

Motos (C64) - an obscure Namco coin-op that got converted on the MAD (Mastertronic Added Dimension) budget label, developed by Binary Design. I can recommend all the 8-bit versions, if you have never tried it.

On 07/01/2020 at 01:30, Sprite Machine said:

(Ecco The Dolphin - Mega CD)
As for the game as a whole, what a missed opportunity this was. The premise is amazing, the tone and atmosphere incredible, and the core idea has such potential -- but instead they built frustrating, badly designed gameplay around it.

Was the sequel any good in comparison? I don't know if I can force myself through more of the same, but it sounds intriguing and some people said it was a little easier... :unsure:

Three levels into The Tides of Time and it's clearly just more of the same absolute bullshit :lol: - instantly respawning enemies, deadly ambushes, frustrating controls and collision detection and now the sound effects are somehow worse (no CD-exclusive sound samples) so you just bump against rocks making ear-splitting squeaky noises. The only positive I can say is that the redbook music is quite nice again and it's got some impressive CGI story re-cap videos littered around the levels. But it's clear that no fundamental lessons have been learned, and I don't have sufficient motivation to put myself through such an ordeal again. So that's another one onto the abandoned pile!

In an effort to stop flitting between games and abandoning them, I've settled on a 50+ hour RPG. :unsure:

Xenogears (PS1) - which, within the first thirty minutes, instantly comes across like a mashup of Star Ocean, Grandia, Front Mission and Chrono Trigger. And of course the main character has amnesia. :lol:

Looking forward to putting some serious hours into this one, finally.

17 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

In an effort to stop flitting between games and abandoning them, I've settled on 50+ hour RPG. :unsure:

Xenogears (PS1) - which, within the first thirty minutes, instantly comes across like a mashup of Star Ocean, Grandia, Front Mission and Chrono Trigger. And of course the main character has amnesia. :lol:

Looking forward to putting some serious hours into this one, finally.

Don't forget Neon Genesis Evangelion, the most obvious influence. The female lead is basically Nei and Asuka rolled into one.

I clocked this one back in the day. It's a decidedly mixed experience. Great atmosphere, battle system and wonderful music, and the consistent anime stylings make the FMV sections integrate much better than in their 3D titles. But from about the midway point the plot is just overcomplicated wangsty bosh stirred into a magpied sci-fi soup, and after they ran out of money the last 1/3rd of the game turned into just your character sitting in a chair spewing reams of text and doing the occasional dungeon. But I did finish it, which is more than I can say for the similarly confused (if slightly more complete) Chrono Cross.

Some people hail it as one of the GOATs, so your mileage may vary. For me it's a game better remembered than played.

The Xenoblade games for me take everything that was good about this and Chrono Cross while getting rid of all the overcomplication, or at least confining it to the last 2hrs of the plot, by which point they've kind of earned it.

EDIT: Xenoblade games, not Xenogears. 

Just been testing out random stuff In MAME to see what actually works that I might make videos of, and I’ve just discovered Rock’n Tread!

Hungry Spider might be the greatest song ever.

Space Channel 5 (DC) - after not picking it up for 10+ years (and never having got past the last level) I beat it on my second go. Very enjoyable and totally nuts (character bios are highly amusing) but I swear the timing is off on certain bits. 

House of the Dead 2 (DC) - remembered very quickly why I sold this after a couple of weeks in 1999. 

Shining Force 3 Scenario 2 (Saturn) - Patched version not really distinguishable from a “properly” translated game so far, it’s great. 

Burning Rangers (Saturn) - Finally playing it properly using the voice navigation having only had the Japanese one before. Nice enough but wonky camera and very short. 

While I'm still plugging away at Xenogears and rather enjoying it (I might post in the dedicated thread later), I'm still going through some SNES games on the ol' Mini. I'm making a concerted effort to at least play all of the games on this little retro console, even I don't complete them. As I never had a real SNES, I feel I've missed out on a piece of history.

Super Punch-Out!!. I was pretty bad at Punch-Out on the Wii but I blamed that on analogue HDTV lag. :unsure:I don't think I can use the same excuse now, I'm just not very good at it!!

This one feels like more of a proper boxing game, with life bars, blocking and multiple strategies for beating each boxer. I got through the Minor League but the Major League is harder. It took 20+ attempts to beat Dragon Chan once and then I couldn't do it again. My brain just can't process the left-right/high-low responses needed to his ever-changing stance, and I can't get the timing right for counters. It's one of those games that I'd probably have to play for months to get any good at it and I can't be arsed, frankly. :lol:

Donkey Kong Country next. I've only ever played this on the GBA, which I understand was slightly different, so I wanted to play the original. I gotta say, it has not aged well. The pre-rendered look is rather dated, although it's technically clever. The general feel of movement is nice and solid but then it's got enemies with really annoying movement patterns, or an entire stupid mine cart level, or stupid barrel cannon levels, and a save system that sends you back when you run out of lives like it's still 1991. I reach the end of each level with no desire to ever go back to them, rather than a sense that I've enjoyed myself. The game seems intent on causing frustration and 'catching you out' rather than having a good time.

That said, I'll probably push on with it! ^_^

----

(I'm sounding a bit down on SNES games at the moment, but on the other hand I completed Super Metroid the other night and that was absolutely magnificent.)

• Upvote 1

Agree 101% on DKC having completed it not so long ago on the SNES Classic. The second is the true standout of that original trilogy.

I'm currently blasting through Contra: Hard Corps and loving it while also being shite at it. It's brilliant.

Terra Cresta (shooter) on the Switch... Loved this game back in the day - had the C64 port and played it until it crashed mid-way through a level!

Great game and really enjoying the Switch version - you can even turn the screen to portrait mode as the original arcade machine was! :)

• Upvote 1

Just had two games of PS2 FIFA2005, to test one of those cheap arsed ps2 hdmi adaptors. It doesn’t work, so I went back to component 

2005 supports progressive scan from an ingame menu. 720x480p amazing.

is there a run button? it feels like there isn’t, and also switch player is woolly as fuck, and the cross button does anything except cross the ball.

and at this point the grass still looks like mode7 sprite scaling with bad mpeg encoding.

• Upvote 1

On 18/02/2020 at 11:11, Sprite Machine said:

Donkey Kong Country next.

I'll probably push on with it! ^_^

And it's done. A bit of a slog in parts but it's not terrible. The music is ace and some of the visual effects are astoundingly clever. I don't particularly want to go back and collect all of the token thingies, so I'm calling it finished.

---

Next up on the SNES mini is Chrono Trigger. Yeah, it wasn't one of the included games but it's easy to add to the system and it's emulated perfectly.

So, here's the thing. Chrono Trigger is one of my favourite of Square's early RPGs - hell, it's one of my favourites full stop! I've played through it four or five times on various platforms but never the original. I emulated it back in the 90s on an old PC that couldn't run it properly, but I still finished it using a keyboard. I then bought an overpriced import of the PS1 conversion (complete with loading pauses, anime cutscenes and a different intro). I later bought the DS version with all of its changes and additions. I've never actually played the original SNES version, at full speed, on something resembling original hardware. So, now I am!

And it's marvellous. I bloody love it all over again. Simple but addictive RPG mechanics with a wickedly fast pace, fun storytelling, original characters and some of the best music from the genre. :wub:

• Upvote 1

I'm playing through CT at the moment too, on the Super NT. Stuck one of those uber bugfix/translation-tweak patches from romhacking.net on there, similar but less radical to the FFIV and FFVI ones.

Just got to the bit where the game transitions from linear story to concurrent sidequests, which is my favourite bit of the game. There were a few bits (particularly in pre-history) that were dragging prior to that, either due to overfamiliarity or just feeling like work. Also, I just can't beat Spekkio anymore.

Big change this time through is that I'm actually using my Magic Tabs as I go, rather than hoarding them pointlessly. Lucca, Robo and Marle have been fed Speed Tabs and are no longer slow! Robo gets all my magic tabs, and his Heal All is now incredible! Frog's diet of Power Tabs means he didn't get left behind when the Masamune started to look long in the tooth! It's been a revolution.

Playing the first Tomb Raider, ages since I last played it, never finished it either so here's to rectifying that.

On 11/02/2020 at 14:33, Alexlotl said:

Don't forget Neon Genesis Evangelion, the most obvious influence. The female lead is basically Nei and Asuka rolled into one.

I clocked this one back in the day. It's a decidedly mixed experience. Great atmosphere, battle system and wonderful music, and the consistent anime stylings make the FMV sections integrate much better than in their 3D titles. But from about the midway point the plot is just overcomplicated wangsty bosh stirred into a magpied sci-fi soup, and after they ran out of money the last 1/3rd of the game turned into just your character sitting in a chair spewing reams of text and doing the occasional dungeon. But I did finish it, which is more than I can say for the similarly confused (if slightly more complete) Chrono Cross.

That sounds exactly like NGE and makes me want to play it now.

Currently playing Final Fantasy Legends on the Wonderswan. Game is amazingly dark and accurately predicts Boko Haram from the year 1989, but Zoolander doesn't really have any ideas for what to do about this intel, much like Number 2 in Austen Powers. Can raise themes but has no real answers for humanity. Petrol fight anyone?

Posted (edited)
On 21/02/2020 at 00:53, Sprite Machine said:

Next up on the SNES mini is Chrono Trigger.

After about 15 hours on this, I reached the end-game 'side quests' section, which seemed quicker than usual as I recall the game taking 25-ish hours in total. But maybe the side quests do take 10 hours? :D

I can't remember how to complete all of these. Marle and the King aren't talking to each other anymore and he didn't like the 'jerky' I brought him. Fiona's forest is still a desert, despite killing all the monsters in the sandy cave (not a euphemism). The haunted castle where Cyrus's spirit resides has a door I can't reach in front of a hole in the floor. And the Sun Stone has been stolen from the cave I left it in, and I don't know by whom.

Ah, but I remember the grinding trick in the robot factory. You can keep going back and forth along the conveyor belt and rack up an impressive amount of Exp and Tech points quickly. I've already learned everybody's ultimate Tech and I'm well on the way to maxing out HP and MP for the whole gang, and I've stolen loads of Elixirs. I also beat Spekkio's penultimate form.

Edited by Sprite Machine

On 21/02/2020 at 09:44, Shrimp said:

Playing the first Tomb Raider, ages since I last played it, never finished it either so here's to rectifying that.

How does it hold up? Didn't have a Saturn (or Playstation) back in the day and always intended to give it a go. 

Shinobi III on the Mega Drive. I definetely prefer Revenge, but this is no slouch. Its quite an achievement how well Joe controls with just three buttons. Jumping, double jumping, wall jumping, shuriken throwing, blocking and magic all done nice and easy. Add in walking, running, dive kicking, dashing melee attacks and some slick hardware effects when using magic and well, and you have quite the animated character. Add some tasty horse riding and ninja surfing sections, good but it's-not-quite Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack, and it's a solid, classic 90's actioner. 

So much potential for a new version in 2D or 3D, but I don't think modern Sega are capable of doing it. Maybe dotemu could have a crack after Streets of Rage IV. The art style they use would fit Shinobi well I think. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, joffocakes said:

How does it hold up? Didn't have a Saturn (or Playstation) back in the day and always intended to give it a go. 

I recently played through it on the PC. It still holds up well due to having bags of atmosphere and lonely environments. Pretty scary in places too.

It's almost nothing like modern 3D action games, and plays more like a 3D version of Prince of Persia - very deliberate and slow movements, with precisely-measured jumps and level design. You spend a lot of time just looking around and lining yourself up.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the Prince of Persia similarities were what made me interested in it back in the day. Plus the exploration (though  I'm uninformed in this opinion) seems quite solitary and I really like games which convey a feeling of loneliness. 

5 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Shinobi III on the Mega Drive. I definetely prefer Revenge, but this is no slouch. Its quite an achievement how well Joe controls with just three buttons. Jumping, double jumping, wall jumping, shuriken throwing, blocking and magic all done nice and easy. Add in walking, running, dive kicking, dashing melee attacks and some slick hardware effects when using magic and well, and you have quite the animated character. Add some tasty horse riding and ninja surfing sections, good but it's-not-quite Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack, and it's a solid, classic 90's actioner. 

So much potential for a new version in 2D or 3D, but I don't think modern Sega are capable of doing it. Maybe dotemu could have a crack after Streets of Rage IV. The art style they use would fit Shinobi well I think. 

Shinobi on the 3DS is a homage to Shinobi 3. 
I really enjoyed it, thought the team did a solid job. You should check it out if you get a chance.

• Upvote 1

UC2 remastered, and Colin McRae 2.0

funny thing, CMR2.0

i had it back in the day, psone, and the disc went missing in the same mysterious manner as my copy of nightmare creatures. Somewhere between taking it out of the console, and putting it back in the case, it vanished. 

weird. Like revisiting GT and GT2, that super smooth car game full of detailed models, decked out in textures that look photorealistic, in your memories, is now a garbled mess of pixels.

tl;dr Still plays well, doesn’t look like you remember it.