Capwn

Humanity : Ricky Gervais (Netflix)

Anyone seen this yet?

Has some nice moments but I'm such a follower that I notice a lot of recycled material from interviews/podcasts etc, not that I should blame the show because I've only just watched it and it's a year old. Though there are certainly moments in it that are more than a year old.

Anyway, I've been following his passion for defending offense in humor and mostly agree but I do find he oversteps it at times. Which is weird as he talks so much about writing his material to perfection and that it's ok as long as a person isn't the butt of the joke. In it, he spends a bit of time justifying his GoldenGlobe gag about Caitlyn Jenner which I never saw as offensive but in doing so his remarks do actually come off as offensive. At one point he appears to be joking about how he thinks he (Gervais) wants to become a chimp and it kind of comes across as that classic trans phobic trope of  'What next eh? What if someone wanted to be an elephant?".

I'm open to the concept that I've missed the intention of the joke, if so would love it if anyone could explain it to me.

Anyway, great show other then that awkward (and long) moment.

Not like I followed it much, but i thought people said it was a bit off to use a tragic incident of a car crash to make a joke. So not trans phobic, just tasteless. He doesn't seem to be aware of that in his routine though. 15 minutes in, I don't think he's good at extending his jokes, but I'm not keen on any comedian trying it. Bill Burr for instance having a chunk of his stand up set about a gorilla, i guess it's just story telling vs word play, and I prefer the word play. If there's no inherently funny quirk they're mining it seems like they have to try real hard.

The 'joke' isn't about the car crash, it's more a play on the stereotype of 'women drivers'. That's how he explains (as I said, I'm constantly watching interviews he does and he's specifically talked about that joke multiple times)  It kind of works, i.e building up and praising a person (like we saw across the mainstream media) only to then have the nerve to mention something horrific she did (which the mainstream media are not so keen to mention). The 'joke' is to suddenly transition from positive progression into a negative stereotype. Something like that, not sure it works but I get it I think.

What he follows that up with though is pretty bizarre, just goes on and on about sexual organs. Sort of stripping a trans person down to someone who just wants to chop off their privates. Then sort of jokingly (I think) compares a trans person to himself because he'd like to be a chimp. As I said I'd love someone to be able to explain the intention and how it can be justified. 

• Upvote 1

Jesus Christ almighty this was dogshit. Managed 10 minutes before turning it off. First couple of minutes were a joke about how gays give each other HIV and the next five or so was about how Caitlyn Jenner used to have a cock. The in-between bits were him failing to understand the modern world and mistakenly attacking "offense" like the ten-a-penny morons you can find on Twitter or Reddit or whatever.

I saw a good review along the lines of "Ricky Gervais says the things other comedians are too funny to say".

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Capwn said:

The 'joke' isn't about the car crash, it's more a play on the stereotype of 'women drivers'.

Yeah I know that, I think he timed and worded the joke clearly, '....didn't do much for women drivers'. But it's like; 'how would the family of the woman who died feel about a comedian referencing the tragic incident to make a joke'. haha she killed someone haha in a car accident haha, cheers for using our trauma as part of your punchline. 

Not that i think he shouldn't have done it, just that that interpretation hasn't apparently occurred to him. When he doubles down, he says 'the target of the joke is a celebrity killing someone in their car. Let's not forget that, shall we?'

As for why he does the monkey routine, you've summed it up haven't you? Also I just think he's pissed off at the backlash and wanted to do more absurdist comedy. Gervais has done loads of stuff that is way off, the entirety of Derek, the fixation with overweight people in Science where he basically dies on stage for about 20 minutes. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

As for why he does the monkey routine, you've summed it up haven't you? Also I just think he's pissed off at the backlash and wanted to do more absurdist comedy. Gervais has done loads of stuff that is way off, the entirety of Derek, the fixation with overweight people in Science where he basically dies on stage for about 20 minutes. 

Oh god I find that fascinating. It was an horrendous side to him then, was more or less calling all fat people lazy who didn't like salad :facepalm: I see now he's skewed it, I think as you say he gets pissed at backlashes and then wants to find a way around it. So now he's changed his tone to where he condones fat shaming to himself, asking people on twitter to fat shame him to help him get fitter. It's like he is trying show how fat shaming is a positive.  Now he thinks he gets away with it because he is the target instead of all fat people but it's still trying to enforce the simplistic unfair idea that being fat = just being lazy and consuming endless junk food.

This is so bad. It just looked like a hopelessly out of touch middle aged man trying to make sense of the modern world whilst randomly throwing in jokes about dead babies or kids with cancer. Awful.

He’d probably like that and use it as a tag line on the tour poster.

@kerraig UK , his delivery is spot on, that’s why he can make light of the subjects he does. Are dead babies and cancer funny - no, but his absurdist reactions to them are. You wince, then laugh.

Unless you have experienced a cot death and are in the audience....

24 minutes ago, macosx said:

@kerraig UK , his delivery is spot on, that’s why he can make light of the subjects he does. Are dead babies and cancer funny - no, but his absurdist reactions to them are. You wince, then laugh.

His delivery his awful and his jokes are not funny.

The Office was exceptional and Extras had moments of genius. But man is he a shit stand up 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, macosx said:

Yeah that's the bit I struggled with.

I liked his guitar lessons joke, but the rest was him bizarrely using everyone's time to settle scores from comments he definitely doesn't care about.

I’m quite enjoying this, after being made to watch it against my will. I’m up to the bit with him talking about Twitter and being in hell.

Apart from the stuff at the start, the godawful trans and chimp material, it’s okay.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Nick R said:

I think Vulture's article on this is worth reading:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/ricky-gervais-humanity-netflix-review.html

Not sure how on board I can get on with that article, makes some good points but it seems a bit confused.

Somebody on social media criticized Gervais then for “deadnaming” Jenner — i.e., using the name she went by before her transition — and Gervais makes a big show, in Humanity, of having learned something he didn’t know and feeling bad about acting from ignorance. But a few minutes later, he’s envisioning Jenner’s gender-reassignment surgery (which he imagines as just lopping it all off, as if with a hatchet)

"I've changed. Not as much as Bruce Jenner, now Caitlin jenner." . That isn't strictly dead naming is it? He's acknowledging that she is now called Caitlin. Double checked some definitions on google;

"Deadnaming is the act of referring to a transgender person's birth name instead of their chosen name"

However, unless there isn't a good reason to bring up the past name (i.e law/medical reasons) then it's crass/harmful to bring it up. So it still felt like an attack.

As for the envisioning of the reassignment, to me it felt like he was more making fun of ignorant people who think it's a simple procedure? Though as I mentioned earlier I don't get why he's focusing so much on the genitalia. Such a cheap place to go when it comes to a sketch about a trans person.  

I'm getting the sense from his tweets that he thinks people who call his jokes trans-phobic are against the concept of jokes involving trans people/situations but I don't think that's the case at all.  Anyway, I still enjoy his presentation but I hope he listens to some of the arguments.

15 hours ago, ZOK said:

I’m quite enjoying this, after being made to watch it against my will. I’m up to the bit with him talking about Twitter and being in hell.

Apart from the stuff at the start, the godawful trans and chimp material, it’s okay.

Funnily enough, after that it went back to shit again, and my takeaway from the show is he has 12 million twitter followers, and somehow is able to read everything everyone replies to him on Twitter.

I strongly suspect he must employ someone to highlight negative replies.

I watched An Audience with Ken Dodd on ITV2 a couple of days ago from 1982 or something, that show is approximately four million times better than this Gervais stuff.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Capwn said:

Not sure how on board I can get on with that article, makes some good points but it seems a bit confused.

"I've changed. Not as much as Bruce Jenner, now Caitlin jenner." . That isn't strictly dead naming is it? He's acknowledging that she is now called Caitlin. Double checked some definitions on google;

"Deadnaming is the act of referring to a transgender person's birth name instead of their chosen name"

However, unless there isn't a good reason to bring up the past name (i.e law/medical reasons) then it's crass/harmful to bring it up. So it still felt like an attack.

Gervais’ is pretty clearly accusing this one celebrity, who killed someone, as changing gender to essentially re-brand and distance themselves from the act of killing someone.

I don’t think Gervais is exploiting the crash for a joke. It’s bad taste, (not really a surprise coming from Gervais) but there’s a clear morality behind it.

The special was mediocre, but the middle section where he talked about kids was great.

If someone’s main takeaway was that his comments were offensive for “deadnaming” Jenner, then... ugh.

• Upvote 2

saw this last night.

never liked gervais much but this confirmed it further - the office somewhat aside although still tainted with the same stench to a degree, the guy has made his living through bullying and that has been amped up to ridiculous levels here. the review linked above pretty much nails it.

nasty little slug of a man.