IGNORED

Your arcade stick of choice

Jim Miles

It went for $10, what a waste. but then again, I can't think of any snes games that actaully really need a joystick..

What i'd like to know is how can a pad be NTSC only? :)

I had one of them. Used it for

Super Aleste

and

Legend

not sure if it came down to PAL/NTSC but didn't they have different plugs? And those horrible two shades of LILAC colour scheme in the US, on the pads at least...

Just wondered if anyone actually finds the "straight line" layout more comfortable...

After a very short while I find it hard to notice the button layout, I've just got used to which buttons are where and do what. That said, I recently played Tekken Tag on a machine with a huge (and I mean HUGE) gap between the top two buttons and bottom two, I still managed to pull chain throws, but it was pretty offputting.

Bah, I haven't got an arcade stick. For the moment, I don't intend on getting one. I am still using my dual analogue pad. I use one of the analogue sticks as a joystick, and I have 6 face buttons, which is handy. I can map this perfectly to the diagram in the NeoRageX controller configuration screen, and I have two shoulder buttons, so that's one for Insert Coin and one for Player Start. But in truth, my controls are completely lame. ;)

I agree with SOR, the old style Neo Geo sticks are great. It feels really comfortable with good button placement and the stick feels solid. It also doesnt weigh a ton so your legs dont end up hurting after an hours play. The kidney shaped sticks are pretty good too but the size is a bit too small.

For this generation the Hori stick (the Soul Calibur 2 one) is very nice and the button layout means it is good for most games (unlike the VF4 one).

Going a bit OT, sorry...

In case anyone's interested, I'm currently gutting all my sticks, giving them all a standard connector, and making external adapters for all my consoles (DC/Xbox/PSX/PS2/Megadrive etc).

The goal is to be able to use any of my arcade sticks on any console.

I'm feeling very lazy at the moment, but if anybody cares then I'll try and find a digital camera to get some pics.

I like the Namco Playstation arcade stick. Though more of the paint comes off every time I use it, it's light yet robust and has good buttons. It generally feels more like the arcade than others.

Everyone seems to take it up the arse from the official DC stick, which is certainly very very good but it's thick and unecessarily bulky IMO. The way some people talk, it's as if other good arcade sticks don't exist! The DC stick isn't in a league of its own, even though it's excellent.

So what's your favourite?

I wish I had the Namco stick when I was younger.

I'm still looking for one, but no luck so far.

Well the Namco stick is really good, but I've had two problems recently which I think are from using it so much - last week I played a lot of Mark Of The Wolves on MAME with it. (Then invited my friend round with his DC copy....and kicked his arse!!!!!!! muwahahaha!)

a.) The paint really does just come off where your hands rest, and my palms aren't even very sweaty. It looks rubbish, I want to use some wire wool or something to get the rest off, at least then it will be consistent.

b.) The bulb on the stick kept unscrewing of its own accord. So I superglued it on.

(this is what a good condition one looks like if anyone's wondering what this stick is that I like so much)

konsole_psx_arcade.jpg

Going a bit OT, sorry...

In case anyone's interested, I'm currently gutting all my sticks, giving them all a standard connector, and making external adapters for all my consoles (DC/Xbox/PSX/PS2/Megadrive etc).

The goal is to be able to use of my arcade sticks on any console.

I'm feeling very lazy at the moment, but if anybody cares then I'll try and find a digital camera to get some pics.

Tell me more about this standard connector.

I ve got two dc sticks that i really want to used with the xbox you chipped for me!

Also how hard is it to convert dc stick to xbox? any links?

Tell me more about this standard connector.

I ve got two dc sticks that i really want to used with the xbox you chipped for me!

Also how hard is it to convert dc stick to xbox? any links?

I still haven't bothered to take any pics, sorry.

I had a look and found a guy who's using almost exactly the same method as me:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jdpyle1/controls_xbox.htm

He's just gutting various sticks/pads and putting the electronics in external plastic boxes.

I'm using 15-way D connectors though - this is exactly the right number of pins to do all the buttons on a PSX and Xbox controller. (The DC obviously has less buttons, so doesn't even need to use as many wires as that).

So I've now removed/bypassed all the electronics in my sticks, added a length of 15-core cable and wired it directly to a 15-pin plug. One pin for each direction/button.

In each plastic box I've put 2 15-way D sockets, and 2 sets of electronics. So for example, the PSX adapter unit has 2 D sockets, each one wired to the innards of a standard digital PSX pad (each wire to a direction/button), and the original controller leads are coming out of the other side of the box which are plugged into the console.

The Xbox one is the same, and contains the electronics from a couple of Gamester Xbox arcade sticks, the DC box contains the guts of two DC sticks.

Will definitely try and post pics later.

I had a look and found a guy who's using almost exactly the same method as me:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jdpyle1/controls_xbox.htm

Took me a while to figure out what exactly they where doing on that site.

Anyway with dc stick to xbox (which im most interested in) do you not end up losing lots of xbox buttons doing this way (ie universal adapter).

If im only interested in dc stick to xbox would i be best just getting a gamester stick and and putting insides in a dc stick.

Also do you think it would be possible to order some arcade buttons, drill some wholes in the dc stick, and wire up the extra xbox buttons? (or even just use the buttons left over from gamester stick).

One last thing: i think i remember some other bloke on the forum saying the dc stick mod was quite tricky to do and required some extra resistors, is this true?

Took me a while to figure out what exactly they where doing on that site.

Anyway with dc stick to xbox (which im most interested in) do you not end up losing lots of xbox buttons doing this way (ie universal adapter).

If im only interested in dc stick to xbox would i be best just getting a gamester stick and and putting insides in a dc stick.

Also do you think it would be possible to order some arcade buttons, drill some wholes in the dc stick, and wire up the extra xbox buttons? (or even just use the buttons left over from gamester stick).

One last thing: i think i remember some other bloke on the forum saying the dc stick mod was quite tricky to do and required some extra resistors, is this true?

Yes, you do end up losing some buttons if you just use the standard DC stick on an XBox - you lose Back, Black and White. But yes, it would be possible to obtain some extra buttons and fit them into the casing of the DC stick and connect those up as well.

If you just want the DC stick to work on the Xbox (and you don't need it to still work on the DC anymore) then yes, you can just use the guts of the Gamester Xbox stick and put those inside the DC stick instead.

If you don't put a resistor across each of the main buttons then you'll get button ghosting (i.e. it'll randomly generate phantom keypresses). The Gamester buttons are actually analogue (and work with a variable resistor), so if you don't want to use resistors you can just strip the buttons apart and keep the variable resistors soldered across each button input.

cheers for that yod@.

Was it you or someone else who was offering to do dc stick gutting for a fee?

It was Rantin' James (aka Kazaroth) who was offering the service - I'm not sure if he's still doing it or not.

I can do it for you if you provide the parts (a DC stick and a Gamester Xbox arcade stick), but I'm not sure when I'll be able to do it - I'm very busy at the moment. <_<

It was Rantin' James (aka Kazaroth) who was offering the service - I'm not sure if he's still doing it or not.

I can do it for you if you provide the parts (a DC stick and a Gamester Xbox arcade stick), but I'm not sure when I'll be able to do it - I'm very busy at the moment. 

No worries no rush, Im not even sure i want to gut those two sticks as they look so nice as they are, its just i ve got capcom vs snk 2 and been playing alot on live. I really like those two sticks even if my mates slag the hell out of me for owning them..

If it's the gamester sticks you're referring to then I agree. Everyone says they are crap, which is perfectly fair enough - their opinion etc. - but to me they feel similar to the Neo Geo stick mk2, and pretty good actually. The DC stick is utterly brilliant, but I feel anything that isn't the DC stick or is substantially different (those gamesters are much smaller and less bulky) is unfairly judged!

If it's the gamester sticks you're referring to then I agree. Everyone says they are crap, which is perfectly fair enough - their opinion etc. - but to me they feel similar to the Neo Geo stick mk2, and pretty good actually. The DC stick is utterly brilliant, but I feel anything that isn't the DC stick or is substantially different (those gamesters are much smaller and less bulky) is unfairly judged!

I don't really mind the actual stick itself, but the analogue buttons are pretty poor. How come there's a microswitch in them that clicks when the button's pressed down half-way? The microswitch isn't even wired to anything! Crazy... :D

So, could someone please point me in the direction of a decent arcade stick that requires no modification whatsoever. I would like an Xbox and a Gamecube recommendation if possible.

cheers!

I think for Xbox and GC your options are fairly limited - you're probably best going for the Soul Calibur 2 stick for each of them.

I think for Xbox and GC your options are fairly limited - you're probably best going for the Soul Calibur 2 stick for each of them.

I can't find them anywhere for despatch in this country.

Well, any at a reasonable price anyway.

£42.95? Fuck off!

:P