ahsoka

Game of Thrones for Dummies

I’ve never watched Game of Thrones and have never really been interested. I look at it and all the other similarly long series and just think that I’d much rather spend the hundreds of hours that they’d take up watching all the films that I already struggle to make time for instead. 

Anyway, my Dad’s recently been getting into it and so I was showing a bit of interest out of politeness and must have lied at some point and said that I wouldn’t mind watching them too. This has backfired completely as he turned up the other day with Seasons 1 - 6 on DVD for me to borrow. 

I don’t want to appear ungrateful etc and so I’m either going to have to watch them all, which as I’ve said I’d much rather avoid or somehow make a passable attempt at blagging it instead. 

So, can anyone point me in the direction of some websites / YouTube videos that will get me from zero to conversationally fluent on Game of Thrones within a couple of hours?

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

I can’t think of a harder programme to attempt a blag watch on - you’ve got multiple stand out events and moments in every season and a huge depth of back story and characters that motivate the plots and direction it takes (well it did until they ran out of book and went a bit rogue making shit up themselves).

Ian McShane summed it up succinctly.

It’s only tits and dragons.

Lovejoy also summarised The Revanant if you ever need to blag that film with your dad.

It’s like Leonardo DiCaprio. Not the finest performance, just him grunting and being raped by a bear.

3 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Yes, but what tits.

:lol:

watching it with the missus the nudey bits do kind of make you cringe... amazingly not the appeal of the show! (I really like the politics ...)

I did find a lot of it extremely dull - the fat bloke, and Jon Snow for about five seasons

It's one of the only fantasy or sci fi shows that almost all my friends, and even folks' parents, think is brilliant. Even ones who wouldn't touch anything fantasy with a barge pole. Give it 3/4 episodes to get into it, it takes a while to get going with so many characters and setup to cover. No plot summary will prepare you to bullshit about Game of Thrones, there's too many characters, too many standout memorable events both big and small and too much nuance to each person. It would be like studying for a really hard history exam!

I echo Benny. Shame.

• Upvote 2

If you are definitely not going to watch it (SHAME) you should at the very least watch The Battle of the Bastards (609) because it's one of the best episodes of television ever and fairly stand alone. 

It's a real shame though, your Dad is clearly keen on the show and sharing it will you. It's worth making the effort of giving it a try, you might end up loving it (it's excellent) and can watch the final season with your Dad.

• Upvote 1

Okay okay...you’ve all made me feel suitably guilty and so I’ve decided that I’ll give it a go and watch the first season at least. 

Thanks for the replies. 

• Upvote 1

Just spend half hour looking at this. Season One of GoT is essentially medieval Dallas with dragons. A quick background on the families and allegiances and you’re away. 

Enjoy! 

44013D78-8A31-4F72-A721-6085E2DDF21E.jpeg

There is a very important familial link there that sets up a chain of events still being felt in the latest episodes that I completely missed on my first viewing and was baffled why it was such a big deal. That makes no sense but you’ll know what I mean after Ep 1. 

I’ve realised I can watch it in bed on my Xbox One X which has made it a whole lot more appealing. I’m making a start now...

7F607983-7334-4E4D-A933-76C23C80153D.jpeg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ahsoka said:

I’ve realised I can watch it in bed on my Xbox One X which has made it a whole lot more appealing. I’m making a start now...

7F607983-7334-4E4D-A933-76C23C80153D.jpeg

Move that bloody chair out of the way!  It's blocking the Bean!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ahsoka said:

Watched the first two episodes and yeah it was really good. :-)

You better not be saying that out of politeness. I bet you even name your sword. 

10 hours ago, ahsoka said:

Watched the first two episodes and yeah it was really good. :-)

Wait till you get to episode 5, that’s where it really steps up. :)

Season 1 is fucking brilliant, and it continues to be brilliant. 

I found it to be particularly great and easy to digest even with it's convoluted "world building". GoT is so good. 

I'd really recommend just ignoring the amount of stuff there is. 

Put on Season 1, and thoroughly enjoy! There's no lulls, each season is excellent. 

If you find it's not your thing then just bail after Season 1