ahsoka

Game of Thrones for Dummies

I'm definitely going to watch at least Season 1 and if continues to be as good as what I saw yesterday then I'll watch it all for sure.

It wasn't that I didn't think I was going to enjoy it, more a prioritization issue when there are so many films I want to make the time to see instead.

People who watch similar geeky shows, but make a big deal of not watching Game of Thrones because it’s popular or whatever (not you OP!) really grind my gears.

• Upvote 2

Keep us updated @ahsoka. One of the joys of being a Got fan is hearing about people's reactions to all the twists and turns in the story. I've spent far to many hours of my life watching videos of those Chicago hipsters watching every episode in a packed bar. Don't normally like reaction videos, but I find those strangely watchable. Guess it's because it's a live group reaction rather than the usual gurning idiots I front of a Web Cam.

• Upvote 2

This has reminded me that I need to watch it all again from the start before the final season.

Also to avoid confusion: some semi-major characters have a change of actor between seasons. Which can be off-putting. Luckily they don't spend a great deal of time on screen. The Mountain seems to evolve like a fucking Pokémon.

11 hours ago, grindmouse said:

People who watch similar geeky shows, but make a big deal of not watching Game of Thrones because it’s popular or whatever (not you OP!) really grind my gears.

One of my brother in laws works on it, and was really annoyed that I couldn't give a fuck about it. 

"But ya like Lord of The Rings and shit like that, don't ya?!"

6 hours ago, John Edward Gammell said:

One of my brother in laws works on it, and was really annoyed that I couldn't give a fuck about it. 

I don’t think anybody who has watched Game of Thrones regrets it or considers it a waste of time. The first four seasons have excellent characterisation and plotting with many perfectly executed twists - whilst the back three seasons have spectacle that surpasses most feature films from the last decade.

It’s guaranteed better than any show you’ve been watching over the last couple of years.

• Empathy 1

On 3/14/2018 at 08:22, ahsoka said:

I’ve never watched Game of Thrones and have never really been interested. I look at it and all the other similarly long series and just think that I’d much rather spend the hundreds of hours that they’d take up watching all the films that I already struggle to make time for instead. 

Anyway, my Dad’s recently been getting into it and so I was showing a bit of interest out of politeness and must have lied at some point and said that I wouldn’t mind watching them too. This has backfired completely as he turned up the other day with Seasons 1 - 6 on DVD for me to borrow. 

I don’t want to appear ungrateful etc and so I’m either going to have to watch them all, which as I’ve said I’d much rather avoid or somehow make a passable attempt at blagging it instead. 

So, can anyone point me in the direction of some websites / YouTube videos that will get me from zero to conversationally fluent on Game of Thrones within a couple of hours?

Mate, tits , dragons and zombies... just fucknig watch it...

this is the quality [eople are talking about 

• Upvote 1

On 16/03/2018 at 00:57, John Edward Gammell said:

It's a bit weird when people deprive themselves of awesome TV with great writing, characters and plot twists. TV that is better than the vast majority of TV and movies out there. 

Sometimes it feels like people take pride in not watching it, I don't get it. 

If you enjoyed LOTR you most likely will also enjoy GOT. Having said that, most people I know who watch GOT have little interest in fantasy shows. Maybe you have a good reason not to watch it, but I'm kinda with your brother in law on this one. You fool!

This might be the place to ask this without spoilers: I'm currently reading the books prior to watching. I know that the TV show diverts from the plot of the books at some point, but can you say which series equates to which book? And how much of the TV show isn't based on the books' plot?

I watched GoT religiously up until the end of series 5, then missed the start of series 6 and kind of forgot about it. Where is it up to now? I saw someone above mention the final season, is it finished?

52 minutes ago, James Lyon said:

This might be the place to ask this without spoilers: I'm currently reading the books prior to watching. I know that the TV show diverts from the plot of the books at some point, but can you say which series equates to which book? And how much of the TV show isn't based on the books' plot?

Seasons 1 to 3 follow the corresponding books pretty faithfully. From book 4 onwards the writing becomes very rambling so the show has to start changing a few things around to make it more structured, and on the whole do a very good job of it. Season 6 is where it goes completey off piste as the show overtakes the books.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, NickC said:

It's a bit weird when people deprive themselves of awesome TV with great writing, characters and plot twists. TV that is better than the vast majority of TV and movies out there. 

Sometimes it feels like people take pride in not watching it, I don't get it. 

If you enjoyed LOTR you most likely will also enjoy GOT. Having said that, most people I know who watch GOT have little interest in fantasy shows. Maybe you have a good reason not to watch it, but I'm kinda with your brother in law on this one. You fool!

When it's all wrapped up and the inevitable super-duper boxset is released, I'll maybe look at it. 

• Upvote 1

On 17/03/2018 at 08:38, NickC said:

If you enjoyed LOTR you most likely will also enjoy GOT. 

Except GoT is absolutely nothing like LotR. Other than being in the fantasy genre perhaps.

25 minutes ago, Benny said:

Except GoT is absolutely nothing like LotR. Other than being in the fantasy genre perhaps.

Not strictly true. I say the names of both of them in a Yorkshire accent, thus:

Lord of t’ Rings

Game of t’ Thrones

So there’s also that.

If you’re pronouncing the of then it’s a lah di dah posh Yorkshire accent. 

Around here they’re known as...

Lord ert Rings and Game er Thrones. 

• Upvote 7

Haha, nice! My girlfriend is going to be curious as to why I keep steering the conversation to GoT and LOTR today.

On 3/14/2018 at 22:41, ahsoka said:

Watched the first two episodes and yeah it was really good. :-)

Man watching GOT for the first time, and having access to that many seasons.

You are really lucky. Lucky lucky lucky!

giphy-tumblr.gif.cd7de4c76b0891a10753d09a723f03c0.gif

5 hours ago, Benny said:

I didn't say they were alike! They are however both well written mainstream fantasy productions. Which is rare because a lot of fantasy is poorly written or super niche. I can't think of anyone I know who enjoyed LOTR who doesn't also like GOT... but maybe that's just the people I know.

I love the Lord of the Rings, but Game of Thrones leaves me cold at times. I appreciate it for what it does, but the whole experience can often feel extremely horrible. Like watching a better written Eastenders with swords or something. And more literal tits.

Lord of the Rings generally feels like a more wholesome and life affirming journey with characters you can come to care much more about, and with a range of emotions and motivations that can touch upon altruism and genuine friendship that doesn't feel like it's going to be betrayed at a moment's notice. GoT often feels like it's contemptuous of the viewer and doesn't much care for always having satisfying character arcs. It's more like an adventure playground where little pieces are being shifted around a map and "stuff" happens. Which is part of the appeal obviously.

I still find it enjoyable, but I wouldn't say I automatically like it because it's also a mainstream fantasy. It's an entirely different experience for me.

• Upvote 1

Have just finished the finale episode of Season 1 and I’ve loved it from beginning to end. 

As as I said earlier, I never thought I wasn’t going to like it, but it’s been far better than I’d anticipated. 

Roll on the beginning of Season 2 tomorrow evening with any luck. :-)

• Upvote 7