rllmuk
revlob

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Terry is my favourite DLC character so far. I’ve never had any real experience of KoF or SNK in general for the most part but he’s an awful lot of fun to use.

Please enjoy this picture of Terry (me) walloping Snake (not me) in the nuts, quite hard.

You’re welcome.

3FBD39E3-AB7A-4E93-AF4A-9E943C5C4964.jpeg

• Upvote 6

Also see if you need to have hazards switched to on. Some stages lose their features when you turn hazard switch off.

15 hours ago, Strafe said:

You have to select that stage to fight on. You won’t be able to if you don’t have the fighters pass.

If you do, make sure the stage isn’t set to battlefield and is set to ‘normal’ when selecting the stage.

Ah, I was trying to set up an edited rules thingy with just this stage - but you can’t select normal, have to manually select it each time I think.

Cheers.

Rumour the next DLC character is

Dante

:seanr:

Would love a 1v1 real-life Smash bout with the Nintendo exec who picked these Fighter Pass characters. 

• Downvote 1

All of the DLC characters have been excellent (and very well observed) choices so far. I'm not a fan of Dante at all but I guess fans wanna have him and Bayonetta face off. 

Get Donkey Kong Jr in there. Big sweaty vest, permanently stuck inside his tiny go-kart.

• Upvote 2

I prefer the cartoon icons than the realistic characters, Rayman is always the dream for me, Bubble Bobble could be pretty cool or Earthworm Jim?

• Upvote 2

I have never understood the appeal of Rayman. He looks unique but at the same time so derivative and ordinary, somehow.

• Upvote 1

This game started out by putting classic platform characters into a platform fighter, and it expanded outside the Nintendo roster with classic franchises like Pacman, Sonic...

...with the last two games they’ve weighted new entries towards humanoid JRPG & fighting game characters and obscurer hardcore community requests - this is disappointing to me, given there are so many classic gaming franchises not represented. Like Taito’s arcade line-up: Bub n Bob in dragon and human form, Tiki from NZS. Terry Bogard over Metal Slug (a much better fit imo). Characters like Rayman, Arthur,  Wonderboy. Tails and Knuckles as echoes. ARMS. Bomberman more than an assist. etc etc

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Dante as DLC will be more stupid bullshit as you just know they will give him Devil Trigger as a mechanic and make him Smash Wii U Cloud 2.0.

I did suspect Dante considering the first 3 DMC games are available for the Switch.

I think professor layton would have been a unique choice.

• Upvote 1

One of my best mates has been saying for years that Resident Evil is due a look-in for Smash, and was wanting Leon Kennedy as the rep. If there is to be another Capcom rep I'd be okay with that (no not really, Asura or Gene, but they'd make more sense in a Marvel vs Capcom game), I find Dante is way overplayed. The character has guested in enough games, plus there then comes the question of ANOTHER sword character in Smash.

What about some form of Monster Hunter rep? Rathalos is in the game already, and from checking sales figures that franchise has been a consistent best-seller on past Nintendo systems.

1 hour ago, Darhkwing said:

Chris, Leon, Wesker, and Jill are coming to smash... as spirits.

I would not be surprised - but very happy - if Resident Evil is the next fighter. All four of the above are different skins for the same fighter with the same move set and hit boxes, a la Dragon Quest Hero Fighter.

Ultimate ability is summoning Mr X to FUCK EVERYBODY UP.

Quick question if I may. Is this significantly different from the Wii U edition? 

My daughter still loves the Wii U version and I'm thinking of getting her the Switch one for Christmas. Is it an updated version or a completely new entry to the series? 

They're often accused of being updates because they play so similarly, return stages and the characters retain their movesets bar a few tweaks. But content-wise they're full sequels, with Ultimate being the most complete. There's a bigger single player offering than thw WiiU game.

• Upvote 1

I get they are similar, but the Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U versions are all unique to each other. 

Is this the same levels etc as the Wii U version with extras or is it a whole new version?

She will be disappointed if it's just a tarted up version of the Wii U one à la Mario Kart Switch, but has enjoyed the Gamecube and Wii U entries, so knows they are similar in that respect. 

Speaking as someone whose son also loved the Wii U version, the Switch version really is just a tarted up version of that, it's got a fair amount of extra content but it's far more similar to the Wii U version than any of the previous versions had been to their predecessors. We were a bit disappointed in it, not because it's bad in any way but simply because it felt like we'd seen most of it already. Probably 75% of the characters and 90% of the levels are ones you will already be familiar with.

Obviously if you didn't get the expansion pass for the Wii U, and you do get the expansion pass for the Switch version, there'll be a lot more new stuff to play around with, but still.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

I get they are similar, but the Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U versions are all unique to each other. 

Is this the same levels etc as the Wii U version with extras or is it a whole new version?

She will be disappointed if it's just a tarted up version of the Wii U one à la Mario Kart Switch, but has enjoyed the Gamecube and Wii U entries, so knows they are similar in that respect. 

Whilst it kinds plays like the wii u version, it is it's own game. It's got single player campaign, tons of new levels/characters and modes.

It's not a DX version.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Whilst it kinds plays like the wii u version, it is it's own game. It's got single player campaign, tons of new levels/characters and modes.

As well as a bunch of stuff that didn't make it over. Home Run Challenge and the level editor have been added since launch but it's still missing Break The Targets, Smash Tour, trophies and custom moves. Depends what you liked playing I guess. I don't find the campaign mode in Ultimate that enthralling, sadly, and we found that the custom moves in particular added a lot of longevity to the Wii U version.

There's a tonne of new fighters, better graphics and a whole host of changes to various fighters and stages that make it it's own game for sure. I quite liked the campaign mode but it does outstay it's welcome slightly towards the end.

Am I right in thinking it features all new assets compared to the Wii U version? New models and animations, even for returning characters / stages? Sure, it plays similarly, but it’s actually a brand new game that they built from the ground up. Not a port of the Wii U game at all, really.

• Upvote 1

Ultimate being closer to U than 64 was to Melee is a surprising position, but one that plenty of players and reviewers feel about each generation of Smash Bros games, so fair dos to those who are disappointed. I think objectively it's a bigger leap than Melee and Brawl, but people had the same 'not much new' complaint about 64 to Melee, which I find plain unfathomable. Like I say, they play so similarly and retain so much fan-favourite content that the plethora of new stuff is sometimes ignored in conversation. Ultimate must be, what, 50% new stuff, even though it's specifically billed as a compilation of all Smash Bros games? There's another point: if she hasn't played 64, Melee, 3DS or Brawl all the stuff included in Ultimate from those games is new for her, too. 

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is a 'tarted up' port but Ultimate's a new game.

• Upvote 1

Is it today they unveil the last Fighters Pass character?

Not that I’m excited. The characters may as well have been chosen, and some apparently have, by the weebs over at Resetera.