IGNORED

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

revlob

22 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Omega versions of the smallest stages, no items

I simply don't get people that do this. It's a game that is designed with the concept of items and stage-events in mind, and they give an equal opportunity for advantage and disadvantage to all players. I have a friend who is frame-perfect at the game, and it doesn't matter what characters I pick, what stage we play on, or what items turn up - he soundly thrashes me every single time. Good players will win much more than bad players whatever settings are chosen.

Plus, if this guy and I were playing without items, I wouldn't have gotten to do this:

Whereas, this guy isn't going to win too many games regardless of settings. There was an item, that I made use of, but it had absolutely no impact upon the outcome of this fight:

Too much is made of the "randomness" in Smash, it's even less of a factor than it is in Mario Kart. I've watched ZeRo playing, and no matter what bonuses you throw at me, I'll not get anywhere near to beating him. He'll not only beat me to the Final Smash Ball, but even if I get hold of it I'll not be able to use it before he beats it out of me.

I have now hit a few World of Light stages that are 3 on 1, where the other 3 have projectile weapons. It's performance art levels of trolling by the developers.

I guess there is some spirit kicking about somewhere that makes it bearable, but seriously. 

3 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

I simply don't get people that do this. It's a game that is designed with the concept of items and stage-events in mind, and they give an equal opportunity for advantage and disadvantage to all players. I have a friend who is frame-perfect at the game, and it doesn't matter what characters I pick, what stage we play on, or what items turn up - he soundly thrashes me every single time. Good players will win much more than bad players whatever settings are chosen.

Plus, if this guy and I were playing without items, I wouldn't have gotten to do this:

Whereas, this guy isn't going to win too many games regardless of settings. There was an item, that I made use of, but it had absolutely no impact upon the outcome of this fight:

Too much is made of the "randomness" in Smash, it's even less of a factor than it is in Mario Kart. I've watched ZeRo playing, and no matter what bonuses you throw at me, I'll not get anywhere near to beating him. He'll not only beat me to the Final Smash Ball, but even if I get hold of it I'll not be able to use it before he beats it out of me.

The game is nowhere near the same amount of fun on omega stages and no items. It’s like doing an oval circuit on Mario kart with no item boxes. Yeah, I get why someone would do it but it really isn’t the same.

32 minutes ago, kensei said:

I have now hit a few World of Light stages that are 3 on 1, where the other 3 have projectile weapons. It's performance art levels of trolling by the developers.

I guess there is some spirit kicking about somewhere that makes it bearable, but seriously. 

There are a few I've found that are 8 on 1.

Very few fights so far have been difficult though. Are you playing with a high enough powered team and the right affinity?

21 minutes ago, Strafe said:

The game is nowhere near the same amount of fun on omega stages and no items. It’s like doing an oval circuit on Mario kart with no item boxes. Yeah, I get why someone would do it but it really isn’t the same.

I'd say it's more like playing the really complicated tracks with items off. 

Smash is essentially two games in one, you can play it as a technical fighter at a higher level or you can play it as a ridiculous party game that has a much more approachable and level playing field. Both are great.

I initially thought the Inklings were garbage, but I've been sinking more time into them and they really are great. Their dash is amazing and once you figure out how to manage your ink properly they get quite powerful.

1 hour ago, kensei said:

The most fun way to deal with that:

Spoiler

Any spirit which lets you start with a Franklin Badge eqipped; it auto-reflects projectiles.

Also I'm gonna guess you're referring to the Star-rod equipped Kirbys here?

1 hour ago, joffocakes said:

The most fun way to deal with that:

Hide contents

Any spirit which lets you start with a Franklin Badge eqipped; it auto-reflects projectiles.

Also I'm gonna guess you're referring to the Star-rod equipped Kirbys here?

That was one of them, but there are a few more too. Having essentially a lot of variation on the basic rules creates an unexpectedly moreish one player experience, but holy crap at the random difficulty spikes.

I had my first ever taste of a Smash Bros game today. The series has always passed me by but I was asked if I wanted to join a few matches on the office Switch at work today and so decided to give it a go, mainly to try it out before deciding on whether to sell the unopened copy of Ultimate I was gifted at Xmas (pretty much zero interest in playing it).

Well can I just say what an absolute load of fun this game is. I had a blast and even managed to win a round though I must confess, most of the time I had next to no idea what was going on. So when I got in from work, I tore the shrink wrap off my copy and got to playing some more. Link is an early favourite but I've still got a long way to go when it comes to the controls - I'm playing with a Pro controller and can't seem to settle on a good button layout. The default one initially felt weird to me but I will persevere with it I think.

So yeah, wonderful game!

I've been taking it easy with this after 4 years of almost non-stop Smash 4 tournament play. I've decided to exhaust the game for content so I've beat all the single player modes and I'm going to try and elite all 74 characters in quickplay mode. I'm also going to play all the characters 100 times for learning because why not.
I finished up my 100 games with Mario tonight and it's given me a lot to say about him.
Mario in Smash Ultimate is mediocre. In Smash 4 Mario was good, really good, top 10 in fact thanks to his strong mobility, combos, punishes and grab game. He has been hit in all these areas in ultimate. Here's a small guide going over all the basics and changes I've noticed between the two games.

Spoiler

Mobility: The game engine means everyone in the game got a mobility buff but unfortunately for Mario this change benefits other characters more than him. Mario is a close-quarters character, he needs to get inside to do big damage.He has a much harder time closing in, making it harder for him to chase and easier for the opponent to camp him out.

Combos: Like smash 4 Mario's best combos centre around his grab game and juggles. In smash 4 Mario had many moves that lead into combos; his up tilt would combo into itself and could convert into aerial juggle moves such as up air. He would also confirm combos off grabs such as down throw up tilt or down throw up air. Mario's combo starters were a little too rewarding in smash 4 so I'm not surprised they have been touched. In ultimate his up tilt no longer hits behind him and can miss characters at point blank if they are too low (or ducking), it only really works as a combo starter off anti-air now. His down tilt can still start strings but with the new dodging mechanics it can be difficult to string. He can no longer double back air in a short hop so he can't string two together anymore. His up air is still his bread and butter juggle. Up air is easily his best combo starter, learn how to hit it on landing if you can. Mario's combo game is much more limited in this game, the reward for getting in isn't as high as it was before.

Punishes & grab game: Mario's up-smash has had the converge on it nerfed and it doesn't seem to have as much priority as before. The move still has the most reach at the back but the coverage at the front is so short that it can easily whiff. Down smash is similar but can feel a little slower because the animation has changed. Forward smash is the same more or less. Mario's forward air meteor smash has a new animation, I have no idea if it is easier or harder to hit. Punish out of shield is a lot harder in ultimate because of the nerfs to shields and the introduction of parrying. For most characters in the game the best out of shield option is a short hop neutral air, Mario's neutral air is okay and is still a decent move for getting the opponent off you but it is stubby and doesn't reach far which is a really big problem in a game that is currently being dominated by sword users and zoners. Down air out of shield is okay too but you'll get less opportunity to follow up.

Grabbing has been hit hard in this game, where's before grab out of shield was always a safe option for punishing on block in this game your grab will almost always whiff on block, which is why you need to use either dash attacks or aerial attacks out of shield to get punishes on shield. Mario not being able to grab on block is a horrible nerf for him, it's so bad that they could have changed nothing from smash 4 and this hit still would have hurt Mario's viability. Mario does his best work when he gets the grab but getting the grab in ultimate is harder than ever before thanks to the universal changes.

Throw options: Down throw was previous mentioned has next to no combo potential and is a fake mix up now. Up throw however is still real, if you up throw someone you'll want to use one of two moves, either down air to put on damage and send the opponent upwards for up air which is your bread and butter combo. Depending on the percent you can either extend with up air, up air jump, up air, up air up b (which does loads of damage) or just up air, jump, up air, up b. Mario has other strings you can experiment with too, some times back air or neutral air can come into use depending on which way your opponent goes. Mario has a hard time getting in now so when he gets the grab he has to really make it count. He has also lost one of his best kill confirms, down throw into forward air is no longer true or a 50/50 and the mix up of throw > back air to sneak kills is much harder to catch people with.

Final thoughts: Mario still has some good damage building options once he gets in and he even has some decent get off me moves. The nerfs don't make Mario terrible but they don't make him particularly great either, he'll only really excel in match ups against slow heavies and other CQC characters like Captain Falcon. His match up spread is going to become really mixed however, he definitely loses to Marth and all his clones and the sheer size of Ridley makes it incredibly tough for Mario to get in. Characters who can keep Mario out of close range with big hitboxes are the bane of his existence. So in summary, Mario no longer gains an edge in mobility, he lacks strong zoning tools, his cape isn't that effective at stopping zoners either. His grab game has been butchered, as have his normal's. He gets camped out very easily and will have to work hard to get in. In all Mario's problem comes down to no longer really excelling at anything, his neutral game strengths are nullified by universal changes, his grab game, as strong as it can be, is completely outclassed by his brother Luigi who has a zero to death kill combo off a grab. With the way the game meta is progressing currently Mario won't be able to do much against the top zoners (Palutena),sword users (Marth, Lucina, Chrom) and rush downs (Pichu, Fox). Mario is fun but playing him online is the struggle, you're more likely to see people using Doctor Mario.
Quickplay only lets me test him on final destination and battlefield. I think stages like hazardless smashville are good for him when playing competitively.

12 hours ago, bradigor said:

Urgh Galeem has caused a major road block l. Might just go and mop up the rest of the spirits before trying again 

Galeem is probably the easiest boss so far! Simple to avoid attacks, all of which are telegraphed well in advance.

1 hour ago, skittles said:

what does elite all characters mean? great analysis, thank you, please keep it up!

In online quick play mode if you get your GSP high enough (currently around 2.6m, but is constantly increasing - might be top 5% of players?) you play in "elite" mode. It is a pretty major task to try to do this with every character.

Just now, Dig Dug said:

100%’ing single player and gettingloads of 9.9’s boostedmy GSP so I only need to win two in a row to get elite currently.

Ah! So gsp is linked to the character itself? And you can level it up via classic mode + online games? Any other ways?

You have 2 types of GSP. Character GSP and Roster GSP. The higher your roster GSP the higher your base becomes when you use a character online.

The best ways to boost roster GSP as far as I know (so may not be true) are:

Doing as much single player content as possible, so:

Beating classic with everyone, getting as high a score as possible with each.

Beating World of Light.

Clearing as many spirt battles as possible and collecting spirits. 

Beating challenges without using hammers.

online:

getting as high a GSP as possible with each character, if you elite all then your roster GSP should rise a fair bit.

other:

the more people who own the game the higher the GSP cap will become.

3 hours ago, deKay said:

Galeem is probably the easiest boss so far! Simple to avoid attacks, all of which are telegraphed well in advance.

Alright show off. I am struggling still. Doesn’t bode well for later bosses 

28 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Alright show off. I am struggling still. Doesn’t bode well for later bosses 

I'm genuinely finding the mode 99% walkover and I have no skill whatsoever. Maybe it's because I'm making sure I have the right spirits and spirit level (ha!), or maybe Kirby is like playing on Kid's Mode, I don't know, but Galeem genuinely is no threat at all. Just watch his tells and move out the way. You've tons of time and opportunities to get hits in and can easily avoid all his attacks.

Dracula was quite a lot harder, but then all the bosses before Galeem were harder than Galeem too.

@Dig Dug thanks for the info.

I've just finished watching the 4 hour smash documentary which has been such an eye opener. Also very jealous I never got to experience this.

Can you give some advanced tips we should be aware of when playing? Such as the shield move when falling etc. Can you block ledges in this?

I'm playing some games tomorrow with a very anal friend who has been practicing over christmas. I do fear a slight ownage. He plays with ganandorf and toon link I think. I've been practicing with k rool and also toon link and Marth.

53 minutes ago, deKay said:

I'm genuinely finding the mode 99% walkover and I have no skill whatsoever. Maybe it's because I'm making sure I have the right spirits and spirit level (ha!), or maybe Kirby is like playing on Kid's Mode, I don't know, but Galeem genuinely is no threat at all. Just watch his tells and move out the way. You've tons of time and opportunities to get hits in and can easily avoid all his attacks.

Dracula was quite a lot harder, but then all the bosses before Galeem were harder than Galeem too.

I am thinking I should switch from Pikachu to Kirby for this battle and see how it goes. I've got the right spirits for it I think. Maybe not. 

24 minutes ago, skittles said:

I'm also finding that my shield isnt always activating quick enough to react on screen, maybe I am just slow with my reaction..

I found this but then realised I was pressing throw (L/R) instead of (zR/zL)

1 minute ago, skittles said:

Don't want to sound like a broken record but that documentary was so damn enjoyable. Perhaps a bit better in the start but I smiled the entire way through...

Love video games. Love gamers.

Which documentary?