IGNORED

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

revlob

18 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

What is it that’s changed everycunt’s mind about Smash, out of interest? Up until now I always got the sense that Rllmukers kind of look down their noses at it, in a po-faced “No Smash please, we’re British” sort of sense. I strongly suspect it’s marketing and hype that’s won folk round. Fair play, cause the marketing and hype have been class. But still. Why did you all trade-in Melee back in the day? :lol: 

This is objectively the best Smash released since Melee.

64 was great, Melee was even better, then the series took a serious turn for the worse with Brawl, which felt slow and broken and terrible. 

The Wii-u one might have been a return to form, I have no idea. Nobody went out and bought a Wii-u.

I’m struggling with this. I can’t find the mode where you simply take one character and fight a series of other characters u TIL you meet masterhand. All I’ve found is random matches where I select a new character after every game.

Every new smash game lately has a menu that becomes even more of a nightmare to navigate.

The recommendation of starting with Classic Mode I had on here completely saved this game for me, now I think it's superb

If I can get back into this and find the default controls fine (I even prefer playing in portable mode over the pro controller), anyone can :)

While happy to go along with the love-in, I do think that it won't really be ULTIMATE unless they add in the Target Smash and Home Run modes that I personally spent hours on in Melee. It seems a strange thing for them to cast aside, surely it needed the least reworking?

I have never really had a Main, more like several that I'm not awful with, but now I'm even further away than ever! Mii Swordfighter, Link, Kirby, and Marth are getting me through WoL, but Ryu and Ken feel like cheating. I want to learn Richter, Palutena, Bayonetta, and Isabelle. I'll gladly dive in with Pit, Mario, Cloud, Bowser Jr., and DK, and Pikachu. But there is no off that is too far to which Ganondorf and K. Rool can fuck. 

4 hours ago, strider said:

I’m struggling with this. I can’t find the mode where you simply take one character and fight a series of other characters u TIL you meet masterhand. All I’ve found is random matches where I select a new character after every game.

Every new smash game lately has a menu that becomes even more of a nightmare to navigate.

Come on, you're being basic here. Is this after 5 mins of play? The menus are extremely easy. Classic mode is what you want 

3 hours ago, skittles said:

Come on, you're being basic here. Is this after 5 mins of play? The menus are extremely easy. Classic mode is what you want 

That's after an hour. It's not where I'd consider it to be. I just find the menus a mess. They have been for the last version as well.

It took me like a few minutes going through the menus to find the classic mode...there are a lot of options but it shouldnt take long to to figure out...there is a sub text for everything to tell you exactly what it is!

Logically, the pointer should sit on the classic mode first rather than it being hidden away in "other games" lol

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-12-24-red-dead-redemption-2-claims-uk-christmas-no-1

Super Smash Bros Ultimate was one of the only games to dip in boxed sales in the Top 20 this week, which is to be expected for a recently released game (it only arrived three weeks ago). The mascot fighting game dropped 24 per cent in sales and slips to No.5. However, its sales have now surpassed Splatoon 2 to become the UK's fifth most successful Switch game, and it's only be around three weeks.

I don’t feel good about being a part of this. It was inevitable at some point but not like this. Inkling Girl, what have you done?

54FED73F-D98E-4DEB-B847-6CF9AC359082.jpeg

On 23/12/2018 at 18:15, shirubagan said:

Yeah the UI is absurd, isn’t Sakurai’s wife the designer? Kid Icarus Uprising, SSB Wii U/3DS and this all suffer from this crazy hiding of options. 

@CheekyLee I miss Target and Home Run modes too!

Haha, glad to see some else feels the same. The UI design is utterly crazy. It almost spoilt KI Uprising for me as it was so nonsensical. Unbelievable that Nintendo lets Sakurai get away with it, but I presume they simply don't want to offend him if it's his wife!

On 23/12/2018 at 13:33, skittles said:

Oh come on, the menus are a complete disaster. I can’t understand why everything isn’t just on one screen. It’s obtuse for the sake of it. 

Anyway, got given this for christmas. The intro movie is really cool. Haven’t tried much other than the training, which is hidden in other modes on the top right. 

Firstly. Happy Christmas Mukkers, secondly this was a glorious Xmas present. Thirdly as a man who has never played Smash before its an amazingly exciting letter to gaming (if not of menu design?. Fourthly, fuck me they don’t explain anything do they? so lost with so much. 

And finally - question - should I stick with the button lay out as it is or move the jump button? Feels weird on the pro controller. Or should I learn per the default?

1 hour ago, Hey Tim said:

Firstly. Happy Christmas Mukkers, secondly this was a glorious Xmas present. Thirdly as a man who has never played Smash before its an amazingly exciting letter to gaming (if not of menu design?. Fourthly, fuck me they don’t explain anything do they? so lost with so much. 

And finally - question - should I stick with the button lay out as it is or move the jump button? Feels weird on the pro controller. Or should I learn per the default?

B — Attack

X — Special

Y & A — Jump

Turn off up to jump. 

Then, if you get a GC Controller in the future the layout will feel right. :) 

Classic mode should be at the front of the main menu really. They push World of Light as the main single player mode when in reality it's a weird RPG-lite with a lot of frustrating battles more dependent on which spirits you equip than your fighting skills. Classic mode is a much better, well, classic single player experience and it's really fun to see how they theme it for each character. Hiding it behind 'games and more' is so strange.

It is weird. I was looking for just a basic 'how to play' funnily enough it's right there on the title screen in an attract sequence if you leave it - like in the arcade games of old.

How do you actually use spirits, or are they only for World of Light? 

This thing has deeper customisation and options than Forza!