IGNORED

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

revlob

24 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Nintendo have still got the Limited Edition in stock if you can justify selling on the copy that comes with it. Not that I'm looking or have it open in a tab or anything...

If it helps, and you don't already know, the LE box contains proper retail boxes with barcodes etc inside, so splitting would be the same a individual...

3 hours ago, mechamonkey said:

Worked a treat, rumble too :) and thats just some cheapo 8 quid adapter off ebay.
After a hearty 10 minutes of play I can safely say it plays better than with a Pro Controller.
NEV5MGR.jpg

Oh absolutely! I missed this on GC but I’m loving playing this with my old Wavebird. 

Just won an online match by SEVEN KOs with Ganondorf. I usually place last so this is a big deal. Got the Majora Moon assist which helped!

I'd never played a Smash game before, the crossover nature of the game used to put me off, but I loved Powerstone back on the Dreamcast.

A guy in work brought his copy in and we hooked it up to a big TV and well, I'm sold. I bought the game on the way home from work yesterday.

It's great fun solo to work through the fights and stages. The Pilotwings level... Holy fuck.

Anyway, the main reason I got it is to practice for work Smash (and Mario Kart) which is great for 30 mins at lunch.

What is it that’s changed everycunt’s mind about Smash, out of interest? Up until now I always got the sense that Rllmukers kind of look down their noses at it, in a po-faced “No Smash please, we’re British” sort of sense. I strongly suspect it’s marketing and hype that’s won folk round. Fair play, cause the marketing and hype have been class. But still. Why did you all trade-in Melee back in the day? :lol: 

I haven't changed my mind.  I don't look down on it - I just don't much like multiplayer games or fighting games.  Added to the fact I find Smash bewildering anyway.  I bought one version (Wii I think) because it had a big single player adventure but that wasn't much cop.

I don't remember there being many folk on here looking down on it. Not even much of the fighting game folk snobbery you see on the bigger American forums. 

I imported Melee back in the day; a wildly exciting time because we'd played so much Smash 64. Probably the first game I ever played for hundreds, rather than dozens, of hours.

It's personal for me. Playing as an Inkling always makes everything more fun and I was determined to keep that run going from Splatoon, Splatoon 2 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Inkling Girl spamming woomy in delight after rolling someone over and smashing them is my spirit animal. Then came Isabelle. To not enjoy a game featuring the Inklings and Isabelle, it's not on.

In the previous four games I tried to get on with I always just button mashed without understanding what was going on and it all seemed so pointless. Now I finally understood that there is some actual method to the madness.

World of Light also helped.

Content is what matters to me (as a mostly single player guy) and Ultimate has less content than 4 which had less content than Brawl.

World of Light is great, fine, but it doesn't excuse the fact the game is called Ultimate yet has features/modes that had been around since Melee outright missing. Hardly worthy of the name 'Ultimate'.

I remember Smash Melee being utterly and completely dismissed on this forum, where as it was talked about and enjoyed a lot by people over on ntsc-uk.

The two big forum darlings have always been Halo:CE and Resident Evil 4. I'm totally of the same mindset that these two games are two of the greatest games ever made -- and I was utterly obsessed with them -- but these two games have received way more of a lukewarm response elsewhere, especially places like Neogaf/Resetera. 

1 hour ago, Calashnikov said:

What is it that’s changed everycunt’s mind about Smash, out of interest? Up until now I always got the sense that Rllmukers kind of look down their noses at it, in a po-faced “No Smash please, we’re British” sort of sense. I strongly suspect it’s marketing and hype that’s won folk round. Fair play, cause the marketing and hype have been class. But still. Why did you all trade-in Melee back in the day? :lol: 

This one plays a lot better for me, and it also has understandable unlocks. The one on Wii U confused the hell out of me - every match ended with a gazillion unlocks, but were they things to look at somewhere? If so, where? Equip? How did I use this stuff? What was its purpose?

Whereas this game is happy to explain itself. It looks better, plays better, is much better organised and is a joy.

8 hours ago, Calashnikov said:

‘Coz we are all cunts innit, etc.

Just bought this as a family present to all of us, talking all sorts of willpower not to just open the box.

Does it play ok on the individual joycons? I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and get two more so we can play these games on the grips. We had a kids party recently and it was difficult to explain to use them sideways.