IGNORED

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

revlob

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

Considering getting this to play co-op with my 10yo son. Never played any of the others but is still fine to play if you’re using a joycon each, just I’ve seen a lot of people seeming to suggest you need the pro controller or the GC one to get the most out of it.

Only if you have GC muscle memory, otherwise other things are indeed fine.

8 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

Considering getting this to play co-op with my 10yo son. Never played any of the others but is still fine to play if you’re using a joycon each, just I’ve seen a lot of people seeming to suggest you need the pro controller or the GC one to get the most out of it.

I've been getting on fine with default controls in portable mode, took a bit of getting used to but make sense after a bit of playing it. I haven't even bothered playing it docked with the pro controller so far

10 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

A pair of joycons is fine, but I found playing with a single joycon painful after a couple of rounds. I have fairly long fingers though.

1 hour ago, pledge said:

A pair of joycons is fine, but I found playing with a single joycon painful after a couple of rounds. I have fairly long fingers though.

Hmm that's the thing that worries me as I'd like to think it's playable for the two of us without me having to buy a new controller/set of joycons.

1 hour ago, pledge said:

3 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Hmm that's the thing that worries me as I'd like to think it's playable for the two of us without me having to buy a new controller/set of joycons.

Buying these might help with that problem?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Controller-Attachments-Compatible-Nintendo-Controllers/dp/B071HM7CQM/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1545042488&sr=8-22&keywords=smash%2Bbros%2Bcontrollers&th=1

Stamina battles in WoL can fuck right off, they are exceedingly annoying. Especially when there is also a hostile assist trophy or two thrown into the mix, but at least I can appreciate how they are improving my defence game. It has evolved from "Don't bother defending", gone through "Ah, that shield is quite useful", and is now closing in on "So, I probably need to use that damn thing whenever they can hit me, but I'm sure I can hit them first", which isn't quite true but is a massive step forwards in my ability level with this one.

And, I've even taken the time to learn about "tilts", which at least will help in some small way in learning why somebody just beat me. I still have no idea how players are able to handle themselves with fast characters, though. A huge percentage of my defeats come from me hurtling over the edge to my doom.

I went online, got into a 2 v 2, and we won. So, I'm now thinking it might be best to retire at this stage of my career.

I created a lobby for anyone here to join if you want (1v1 on sensible stages, no items).

Lobby name: rllmuk

Password: 1077

EDIT: I thought I would leave it on for a bit to see if anyone came, but the lobby is automatically shut down if no one joins after something like 10 mins. It really isnt easy doing this is it :D

Finally unlocked all characters last night. Having finally sampled him, I am going to focus on Cloud as my main as he's an unstoppable beast when you get into the flow with him. I was previously using Marth, but I much prefer Cloud's up special - he feels like Marth and Roy combined, but with a ranged attack and better speed.

So yes, Cloud is my guy.

44 minutes ago, U-1 said:

So after purchasing many versions on many consoles across many many years, its taken until the Switch version for it to click and I now finally get what Smash is all about!

....its magnificent isn't it. :wub:

Yes, it is. 

This is the first Smash that has that little red momentary pause when you've hit a guaranteed ring out with a smash. Mega satisfying. 

...at least I think it's the first one!

I'm in the same boat in that it's taken until Ultimate for me to 'get it'. Before I'd start a fight and then a bunch of utter madness would happen and I'd end up maybe winning or maybe losing after hashing around for about a minute. Now I actually feel like I am able to form battle plans as such, or react to my opponents. I still get my arse kicked and I've still only ever managed a 7.8 at the end of Classic, but I feel like I am playing rather than being thrown through a Nintendo-patterned stained-glass window each time I fight.

15 hours ago, rjpageuk said:

I created a lobby for anyone here to join if you want (1v1 on sensible stages, no items).

Lobby name: rllmuk

Password: 1077

EDIT: I thought I would leave it on for a bit to see if anyone came, but the lobby is automatically shut down if no one joins after something like 10 mins. It really isnt easy doing this is it :D

I tried joining last night but I guess you’d just closed the lobby by that point. A forum isn’t really going to work for coordinating short notice. 

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Yes, it is. 

This is the first Smash that has that little red momentary pause when you've hit a guaranteed ring out with a smash. Mega satisfying. 

...at least I think it's the first one!

It's the fleshed out single player mode that's swung it for me, along with the Persona style RPG elements with the Spirits. 

..oh and the addition of the nifty little photomode was a pleasant surprise as well.

46330334462_ae09efd3e8_o.jpg

4 hours ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

I'm not getting any challengers any more. I've unlocked most of the fighter. 

Maybe you just need to do the rematches only? That heppend to me too. Just played normally, checked back for the rematch gate to appear.