rllmuk
revlob

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

It’s odd that Waluigi, Nintendo’s greatest character, gets starring roles in Mario Kart and Mario Tennis yet isn’t on the roster in Smash.

I can therefore only conclude that he is going to be revealed shortly as future DLC, including 15 stages dedicated to him and 400 theme tune variations.

Luigi’s murder paves the way for Waluigu’s origin story. With the goodness departed from his body by spirit, the corpse becomes Waluigi.

You read it first here, folks.

Why are they doing this? Sakurai must know he can't top this amount of content! It's crazy, I imagine Sakurai's life has just been an endless loop of licensing discussions.

I can't help wonder if there's a future for Smash after this!

Still, I can't wait to set up a Metroidvania brawl for the ages!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

Also after Simon/Richter today I'm 100% confident of Ken being added as an echo.

Knuckles being an assist trophy could mean Shadow has been moved to a Sonic echo fighter. 

Echo possibilities:

Browser - Dry Bowser 

Captain Falcon - Blood Falcon, Black Shadow and/or Captain Rainbow 

Fox - James McCloud

Jigglypuff - Igglypuff and/or Wigglytuff 

Luigi - Mr L

Mega Man - Bass or Roll

Meta Knight - Galacta Knight 

Ness - Ninten 

Olimar - Alph and/or Louie 

Pac-man - Ms Pac-man

Pichu - Plusle and Minun 

Pikachu - Raichu 

Ryu - Ken

Sheik - Impa 

Snake - Big Boss/Naked Snake/Liquid Snake or Raiden 

Sonic - Shadow, Metal Sonic or Silver 

18 minutes ago, hellcock junior said:

Why are they doing this? Sakurai must know he can't top this amount of content! It's crazy, I imagine Sakurai's life has just been an endless loop of licensing discussions.

Sakurai died months ago from exhaustion. The video was recorded months ago.

15 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Knuckles being an assist trophy could mean Shadow has been moved to a Sonic echo fighter. 

Echo possibilities:

Spoiler

Browser - Dry Bowser 

Captain Falcon - Blood Falcon, Black Shadow and/or Captain Rainbow 

Fox - James McCloud

Jigglypuff - Igglypuff and/or Wigglytuff 

Luigi - Mr L

Mega Man - Bass or Roll

Meta Knight - Galacta Knight 

Ness - Ninten 

Olimar - Alph and/or Louie 

Pac-man - Ms Pac-man

Pichu - Plusle and Minun 

Pikachu - Raichu 

Ryu - Ken

Sheik - Impa 

Snake - Big Boss/Naked Snake/Liquid Snake or Raiden 

Sonic - Shadow, Metal Sonic or Silver 

I don't think Bowser needs an echo. 

Blood Falcon could work but I think he's already a costume colour for Capt (Also he's literally a clone). 

Fox doesn't need an echo when Falco and Wolf exist. 

Jigglypuff wouldn't get one. 

Luigi is already the Ken to Mario's Ryu. 

Bass appears in Megaman's final smash. 

Dunno about Galacta Knight. 

Ness already has Lucas. 

In the Japanese version he is called Pikmin & Olimar in character select, the game puts the Pikmin first which suggests to me that the astronauts are just cosmetic. Alph could still happen as an echo though seeing how he would have Rock Pikmin for differentiation. I haven't checked to see if he is still a costume.

I don't see Ms.Pac-man being an echo.
Pichu is already a clone character of Pikachu.

I wouldn't mind Impa.
Snake is Snake.
Shadow will probably be a sonic echo.

Only characters I currently see as being realistic echos are Ken (Ryu), Shadow (Sonic), Dixie Kong (Diddy), Alph (Olimar), and Jeanne (Bayonetta). If they all got in the game would have more than enough echo fighters.

7 hours ago, hellcock junior said:

I think the plan is that the Switch going forward will be a continually upgraded platform so whatever the next machines are will maintain BC. So in general, games that use adaptive or dynamic resolutions will benefit straight away without needing patching.

The other side effect is they can effectively maintain Smash for a good number of years without having to release a new version. Keep it fresh with tournaments, new content, whatever but fundamentally they just chuck everything in now and they're sorted for the next decade or so.

If the community finally leaves Melee behind then it'll probably flourish.

They will never drop melee just so you know. Best case scenario ultimate will unify the players more but it will never stop the melee players from playing Melee. 

25 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I have to admit, seeing all these wonderful characters doing wonderful things while looking wonderful, is kinda making me wish I could give a fuck about Smash.

Same. I’m going to buy Ultimate, as I did the last one, and this time I’m determined to play for more than an hour and maybe even try to have fun with it.

If all else fails, I’ll just listen to the soundtrack with the screen off. Bargain.

2 hours ago, Dig Dug said:

They will never drop melee just so you know. Best case scenario ultimate will unify the players more but it will never stop the melee players from playing Melee. 

The Melee players won't leave Melee, sure, just like there are players who'll never leave SF2, 3, 4 and all the variants. But right now the community is still kinda split and at least this is comprehensive enough and on a successful enough platform so that Melee isn't the reference any more.

Melee is not really comparable to people who play SF2/3/4, people always move to the sequel en masse in fighting games, those who stay behind are a small niche. Smash doesn't have that because of how different brawl was to melee. 1300 people entered melee at evo this past weekend, 200,000 people watched the finals on Sunday. The game is a beast of its own making (smash 4's scene owes a lot to it) and isn't going to be brushed aside any time soon. None of the top players intend to drop the game for Ultimate, at best they will play ultimate on the side.

The community will always be split as long as Melee keeps doing its own thing and to be honest that isn't exactly a bad thing considering how bad a reputation the scene for smash 4 has these days.

With all the sudden Konami love it would be nice to see Sparkster in there as an assist. More likely Contra and Goemon first, though.

Latest reveals definitely made Ultimate more interesting than it was at E3.

Main menu still looking terrible though.