revlob

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Oft; I knew it would happen but I'm surprised it's this year. I figured we'd be getting a remake of 4 with additional characters but that's BotW Link so maybe it's a new game entirely?

I'm all for it either way.

There's a bunch of silhouettes under the logo, I'm just running it though my ESPER machine now and soon I'll be able to reveal the full roster.

7 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Why are people excited? It's not a proper new Smash, no way within the timeframe. They're just re-releasing the exact same Wii U title we've played for 100s of hours with some very minor additions.

Why did you play it for that ungodly amount of time? That should clue you in. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Why are people excited? It's not a proper new Smash, no way within the timeframe. They're just re-releasing the exact same Wii U title we've played for 100s of hours with some very minor additions.

It’s portable. 

So ... is it Smash 4DX? Or Sma5h? BOTW Link has to have some significance, and the font looks to be different from before. But ... surely they can't get a new on ready this year? Unless they release a bare bones version and constantly drop new stuff as DLC, which seems to be the Nintendo model these days. Either way, I'm looking forward to Smash at work.

18 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Because sod all people played it due to the installed user base. See Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and loads of other quality WiiU titles.

My bet is that they'll change just enough to call it a new installment in the series. Palette swaps, extra content, new mode and the like.

Smash on Switch will be the biggest online community game by far. The Switch seems almost tailor made for it with the capture feature,  2 joy-cons being able to handle the control scheme with ease and the portability factor.

Wouldn't surprise me at all of this is the biggest release for them in 2018 and manages to boost sales to 20 million all on its own.

While a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe-esque port is very possible, I also think there's a good chance of this being more of a Splatoon 2 dealio - using loads of the assets from Smash 4 to make a completely new game. 

• Upvote 1

If it's a port I don't mind*

*As long as it has the Roguelike mode from the 3DS version. That was the damn best thing ever and the only reason I'd sacrifice my poor thumbs playing it on the 3DS.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, ann coulter said:

While a Mario Kart 8 Deluxe-esque port is very possible, I also think there's a good chance of this being more of a Splatoon 2 dealio - using loads of the assets from Smash 4 to make a completely new game. 

Even if it is, we'll probably have to deal with endless dull arguments about where the line between port and sequel is drawn, as with Splat 2.

• Upvote 2

I'm happy with either a port or a new game. I also think a semi-sequel could be a good plan, as long as they don't screw the formula up too much.

I doubt it'll be a straight port or a Deluxe kind of affair. They made a pretty big deal out of the trailer which would lead me to believe it'll be the next in the series.

9 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Unless they release a bare bones version and constantly drop new stuff as DLC, which seems to be the Nintendo model these days.

I can’t think of any Nintendo game that does this.

1 hour ago, Retroid said:

If it's a port I don't mind*

*As long as it has the Roguelike mode from the 3DS version. That was the damn best thing ever and the only reason I'd sacrifice my poor thumbs playing it on the 3DS.

Agreed. It was much better than the baffling Wii U board game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tnman said:

I can’t think of any Nintendo game that does this.

Splatoon did this, Splatoon 2 and Arms were more Feature rich at launch but still developed as ongoing concerns. Maybe if Arms gets a second wind they might revisit it.

Let's be honest, Smash Wii U engine was pretty much perfect. Something new to take over the smash ball would be nice (or something additional like collecting the gun parts etc in that game).

Maybe add a single player campaign, a proper level creator and a much better online system. I would expect this to be the launch title for the Nintendo subscription no?

• Empathy 1

I'd almost prefer the WiiU version with some meaningful current gen inclusions, like BotW Link and the Teuthida Children. While the Smash games have always been conservative, iterative releases, every 'proper' Smash sequel has lost something or someone along the way, be it a stage, mechanic, item or character. Smash 4 is so much the pinnacle of the series I wouldn't like to lose a drop. A DX version is the best bet for preserving what came before while getting excited for the teased new stuff. 

However, it's been four years since Smash 4 and they made that and the difficult 3DS version in five. People have been saying that Nintendo won't get this or that out in time a lot this gen, from Odyssey to XC2. Yet they've been doing so. I imagine their strategy of announcing games late into development has helped feed these sentiments, but it does seem like they've really been on it crunchwise since the Wii U's pratfall.