revlob

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

On 07/11/2018 at 16:23, Super Craig said:

I was misremembering this Kotaku article. 

https://kotaku.com/sources-the-ambitious-now-cancelled-plans-for-disney-1776370484

It generated a lot of revenue, not necessarily profit like I thought,  but got sunk by overspending on the toy side of things. 

I love how in that new trailer, Inkling has the Smash logo in their eye just like in the first teaser, but is now into it just like all the others.

This slaps

I think Nintendo have been veeeeeeery shrewd in releasing these sound effects only videos. They know people will edit in their own music and share them. They get free publicity, and their product gets the benefit of being viewed along side iconic music and they don’t have to pay for any of it.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

I am awful at fighting games on the whole, but I know I am going to end up buying this. Talk me out of it.

I’m the same yet I still have the ultimate edition and prima guide preordered. :hmm:

I hate Smash and I’m buying it. Don’t bother trying to resist the hype, just make sure it’s the physical release.

I still refuse to believe I can’t get at least five minutes of entertainment out of something that stars the Inklings.

18 hours ago, freezycold said:

This slaps

I think Nintendo have been veeeeeeery shrewd in releasing these sound effects only videos. They know people will edit in their own music and share them. They get free publicity, and their product gets the benefit of being viewed along side iconic music and they don’t have to pay for any of it.

Nintendo do seem to be on somthing of a roll when it comes to their reveals, Zelda, Mario, Smash, etc, & I hope this continues.  I think I like the new, shrewd, Nintendo.

Though I do of course reserve the right to take that back should Nintendo start displaying the arrogance & dismissiveness that always seem to infect a game company when they get too successful.

• Upvote 1

Is the GameCube controller bundle worth it just to play the game properly even for casual fun? I'm really tempted as I do like the controller design and the joy con sticks are sometimes a bit fiddly.

What are people's thoughts? Is it just for the super competitive?

1 hour ago, Jackson said:

Is the GameCube controller bundle worth it just to play the game properly even for casual fun? I'm really tempted as I do like the controller design and the joy con sticks are sometimes a bit fiddly.

It's just preference, pure and simple. Pro-controler is going to be my choice. Or you could go the cheaper route and just get a USB "gamecube" controller from Hori.

4 hours ago, Jackson said:

Smash is a game that requires a lot of reaction based inputs, so playing really relies on muscle memory. I started playing smash back on the Gamecube, and so all the muscle memory and reactions I learned are 100% Gamecube controller based. I find it incredibly difficult to play Smash on a non GC controller layout, it actually kind of hurts my head and my I end up playing like a 5 year old. For someone like me having the option to use a GC controller is super important. 

So, based on that if you're just starting out playing smash and you have the option to learn on a more conventional controller layout, I'd definitely go that route. I really wish I wasn't so tied to the GC controller, it would make things a fair bit more convenient for me. Don't go with a GC controller just because you like the design, you'll really be tying yourself down in the long run. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

I hate Smash and I’m buying it. Don’t bother trying to resist the hype, just make sure it’s the physical release.

I still refuse to believe I can’t get at least five minutes of entertainment out of something that stars the Inklings.

Why would it need to be physical release over digital?

edit - unless you were meaning in case you want to trade it. Doh!

Edited by iknowgungfu
Daft bugger
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, freezycold said:

Smash is a game that requires a lot of reaction based inputs, so playing really relies on muscle memory. I started playing smash back on the Gamecube, and so all the muscle memory and reactions I learned are 100% Gamecube controller based. I find it incredibly difficult to play Smash on a non GC controller layout, it actually kind of hurts my head and my I end up playing like a 5 year old. For someone like me having the option to use a GC controller is super important. 

So, based on that if you're just starting out playing smash and you have the option to learn on a more conventional controller layout, I'd definitely go that route. I really wish I wasn't so tied to the GC controller, it would make things a fair bit more convenient for me. Don't go with a GC controller just because you like the design, you'll really be tying yourself down in the long run. 

That definitely applies to me. I find the 3DS version of smash 4 borderline unplayable because of how drastically different the control is.

As great as your advice is, I accidentally pre ordered the £90 bundle in game today. I'm so hyped up after watching The Smash Brothers film for the 3rd time, haha.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Fuck you rllmuk! Fuck you all in the ear.

smash.jpg.7311bb548b7e4115fa6cd883dd6d754e.jpg

That's the last of my credit gone now... I hope you are happy!

Wait, it’s out already!? Or is that a preload thing?

9 hours ago, bradigor said:

I am awful at fighting games on the whole, but I know I am going to end up buying this. Talk me out of it.

Yep, same. I gone a completely different route though, I've only got the Prima book pre-ordered.:blink2: My reasoning is that I don't get into these fighting games because they are so dense and I get frustrated not knowing wtf I'm doing. I've always found a good physical manual has helped me get into big, feature packed games. There's just something about becoming abosorbed in a physical book which I can refer to. I just don't ge tthe same attention hold with online manuals.

Anyway..! If the Prima book sparks my interest (and memory!) then I might consider getting the actual game.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

Yep, same. I gone a completely different route though, I've only got the Prima book pre-ordered.:blink2: My reasoning is that I don't get into these fighting games because they are so dense and I get frustrated not knowing wtf I'm doing. I've always found a good physical manual has helped me get into big, feature packed games. There's just something about becoming abosorbed in a physical book which I can refer to. I just don't ge tthe same attention hold with online manuals.

Anyway..! If the Prima book sparks my interest (and memory!) then I might consider getting the actual game.

I've still got the Prima guide from the WiiU version, which I bought but barely played as my son wasn't into it.