The Many Saints Of Newark - Sopranos movie

JohnC

30 minutes ago, K said:

I thought that looked pretty good. Michael Gandolfini looks uncannily like his dad, although we'll have to see if he has the same charisma and intensity. Some interesting casting as well - Vera Farmiga looks like she's been made up to look a bit like Carmela Soprano.

Tony always did want to fuck his mother. :lol:

I just want there to be a scene where a young Francis Ford Coppola overhears a young Silvio saying "just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in," then the camera pulls in to a close up on Coppola who's like

1QmGQ84B.jpg

46 minutes ago, Darren said:

I just want there to be a scene where a young Francis Ford Coppola overhears a young Silvio saying "just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in," then the camera pulls in to a close up on Coppola who's like

1QmGQ84B.jpg

"He'd be squealing like some kinda soprano, here!"

Edit: I've just reminded myself of this amazing lyric from Hell's Wind Staff from GZA's Liquid Swords

"Like this ex-worker, tried to smuggle a half-a-key
In his left leg, even underwent surgery
They say his pirate limp gave him away
As the Feds rushed him, coming through U.S. Customs
Now look whose on the witness stand, singing
A well known soprano, a smash hit from Sammy Gravano"

3 minutes ago, Ork1927 said:

Is it just me or did young Tony look partly CGId?

I’m not entirely sold on that trailer although 

Hide contents

Ray Liotta showing up at the end certainly helps 

It's his son, I think.

• 2 months later...

Just back from watching this and really enjoyed it, great cast and some really good performances. 

Some nice throwbacks to the series and I'm not 100% as it's been a long time since I watched the show but I'm pretty sure some new revelations

I'd say 4/5 if you're a sopranos fan. I think if you're not invested in the characters then ymmv 

Saw this on Saturday, really great to see an “adult” film (ie not a bloody super hero or live action reimagining of an old Disney cartoon) and it was really good.

If you’re looking for a good Mob film set in the 1960s, a la Goodfellas, then this is definitely for you. To be honest, you don’t really need to know The Sopranos to watch it, while it’s great to see younger versions of the characters, the story works really well as a stand-alone film. 

9/10 for me

I didn't enjoy it much tbh. Gandolfini Jr was fantastic as Tony, he had the mannerisms down perfectly. Silvio on the other hand was horrific. I thought the storyline was too political and jumbled. One glaring thing was 

Spoiler

Dickie's wife can't have kids. His mistress looks exactly like Christopher. So the obvious thing is for her to be Christopher's mother, yes? So why was that opportunity totally missed out on?

There’s some enjoyment to be had here if you’re a Sopranos fan, but overall I thought this was a bit of a mess. It’s attention wanders all over the place and the two plots that should be the core of the film - Dickie/Harold and Dickie/Tony both feel underserved.

Michael Gandolfini does an admiral job of portraying a Tony who hasn’t become a mobster yet. Most of the other performances are decent as well, but the guy playing Silvio feels like he wandered in off an SNL sketch.

There’s far more brutally on the nose Disney prequel style fanservice in this than I’d have expected from David Chase as well.

Spoiler

The clunkingly awful narration by the ghost of Christopher had to have been a last minute mandate from the studio surely? 

I thought Silvio was alright, perhaps the guy overdid it, but it felt like Silvio to me - Steve Van Zant was always hamming it up anyway. Corey Stoll was decent as Junior, but Vera Farmiga stole the show as Livia. 

I thought Michael Gandolfini was shit. Yeah, he looks a bit like his dad ... but that was the only thing right about his "performance" his whiny nasal voice was way off. There were tiny little glimpses of Tony, but nothing more. 

As for the film as a whole, it's alright. I'm in no rush to watch it again, but as someone who only earlier this year re-watched the entire series, it was a nice little slice of fan service.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I thought Michael Gandolfini was shit. Yeah, he looks a bit like his dad ... but that was the only thing right about his "performance" his whiny nasal voice was way off. There were tiny little glimpses of Tony, but nothing more. 

I'm pretty sure I don't look, sound, move and act the same as I did as a teenager.

The unnecessary violence towards women in this film really bummed me out. Yeah I know the show is full of it, but here it served no purpose story wise, in my view.

Besides that, I thought the story was convoluted and confusing. Some nice throwbacks and funny moments, but on the whole it failed to explain so much of what I was hoping would be revealed (e.g. Tony’s mental health issues). A meh/10.

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

I'm pretty sure I don't look, sound, move and act the same as I did as a teenager.

And? He was still shit. His acting was awful. I doubt we'll see anything noteworthy from him in the future. Saying that, I vaguely recall thinking James Gandolfini was shit in everything I saw him in prior to The Sopranos, so what do I know? :)

On 27/09/2021 at 22:43, Thwomp said:

One glaring thing was 

Reveal hidden contents

Dickie's wife can't have kids. His mistress looks exactly like Christopher. So the obvious thing is for her to be Christopher's mother, yes? So why was that opportunity totally missed out on?

Well....

Spoiler

Christopher's Mum is in the series (alcoholic, you may recall), and does not look anything like Dickie's mistress. She's also Tony Blundetto's sister (I think that's right).  But I know what you're getting at, why not have his mistress be the mother, with Dickie and Joanne hiding the shame of it. But there was never any hint during the series at all. It would have been a crap retcon.

1 hour ago, Gabzy said:

... on the whole it failed to explain so much of what I was hoping would be revealed (e.g. Tony’s mental health issues).

Yep, I was hoping for more on Tony, but I reckon they realised that Michael can't act for shit, and so had to write around that. Which is a shame, because that would have meant we'd have had more of Farmiga's brilliant take on Livia.

It's just a mess, really. There's not much of a story to talk about, not helped by trying to shoehorn too much in and a lack of focus. The Dickie / Harold thing seemed really odd because, beyond the first scene they're in together, they actually don't seem to like each other, but their storyline is framed like they do. Similarly, Tony getting pissed off at Dickie felt out of place because there didn't seem to be much between them, really. For a film that's about gangsters, there's not a lot of gangstering going on, other than by the black characters. And it was just weird that Tony was shown to not want to be given stolen goods, but he's fine with essentially violently car jacking an ice cream van. There were about five times as many characters as needed, purely to show a younger version of ones from the series. 

It's not a good film. A waste of an opportunity and a waste of a couple of good characters. 

As a massive fan of the Sopranos I had been looking forward to this, but ultimately it was a bit of a mess. Young Tony was decent, but like pointed out earlier he didn't have much to work with. I'm just left with a feeling of disappointment and some unnecessary backstory, much like the Solo film. 

I suppose I'm setting a low bar for a movie, but I thought this was all right. Ultimately superfluous perhaps, but there was enough there to stand alongside the series without too much embarrassment. To the point where I'm glad it exists rather than wish it was never made, which for prequels of much loved things seems like a bit of a result. Maybe without Michael Gandolfini I'd feel differently about it, but with him it's a nice little addition.