Capwn

The Division 2

1 hour ago, Len said:

Really? That sounds odd to me but I haven't started a new character in a long time so difficult  to comment. I do have two mains and two others I kicked off but never progressed due to not enough time to do.

What seem to be the main issues? I assume you're using all your skills correctly and what not? Are you swapping all your weapons and gear for better gear asap at the start? Did you get to level 30 and the endgame first time round? I would say it sounds like you're on too high a world tier but that doesn't kick in to level 30.

The main issues are

1. Too many bad guys who swarm you from every angle

2. A few hits takes away most of your health

3. This early on you have no skills worth using and can't use them often enough anyway

4. I never got to level 30. This is me switching platforms (Started on PS4, Then PC and then XBox).

5. Yes. I'm swapping my gear as soon as I have better.

• Upvote 1

While I found it challenging again (need to use more cover, crowd control, etc) I've never found it impossible. Also just having one extra teammate means you basically have infinite revives.

I remember reading that all the drastic changes they made to the way that damage and stats work in the endgame had the knock-on effect of completely borking the early game for new players. May well be the case that they never took the time to fix it as it wasn’t really a priority by that point in the game’s lifecycle. It was never a cakewalk but the early game definitely shouldn’t be that hard, so something’s not right.

• Upvote 1

I started a new character a few months back and the early game (say levels 1 - 7) felt much, much harder. Not impossible, but I died a lot! That first boss dude in the apartments man.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I played through early in '18 and the difficulty curve was kinda odd - as you get towards max level it gets punishingly, frustratingly hard and then once you hit max level it gets super easy with you soloing whole squads of elites. I think I'd have had an entirely different opinion of the game if I'd have dropped it before then.

I never found the intro that hard though, although I did die on top of the police station a few times.

Once you've cleared the intro can't you just over-level yourself by doing side missions to make the campaign missions easier?

Is the original Division at all worthwhile as a single player game? I don't want to get into another service game, but quite like the idea of playing through the campaign, as I like the setting and the basic idea. Also, it's £8.99 on PSN at the moment. Is it just some mad grind, or are the actual missions interesting?

The singleplayer missions are pretty lavish and all take place in unique interior locations, but they're just "kill a bunch of dudes and a boss" mechanically and there's not a lot of driving plot beyond "evil group are doing something, stop them". So now I've written out, I guess I'm saying that it's kind of like Destiny.

• Upvote 2

I would say the mechanics and setting are strong enough to carry a single player run through. Especially for £8.99 - you'll be getting a lot of game for the money.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, K said:

Is the original Division at all worthwhile as a single player game? I don't want to get into another service game, but quite like the idea of playing through the campaign, as I like the setting and the basic idea. Also, it's £8.99 on PSN at the moment. Is it just some mad grind, or are the actual missions interesting?

It's worth it for £8.99. The missions and levelling to 30, then getting a bit of decent gear sorted, were the best part of the game for me. The setting's quite atmospheric, too. It was what came after that (in the initial incursion/endgame and the patches that bookended it) that were the disaster.

• Upvote 2

@K, yes I'd say so. I pretty much just played it as a regular Ubisoft open-worlder (but with three pals), focusing on the main campaign and some side missions to balance my level for the task at hand. I do think it's designed with co-op in mind so I'd consider leaving matchmaking open for randos in missions. It's not like you have to communicate, it's just helpful to have people to revive you especially if it's got that much tougher since launch.

The gameplay is basically Gears of War / Space Invaders. Move from cover to cover and take out all the enemies before you get overrun. The core gameplay is extremely solid though in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, K said:

I've just reinstalled* this with the intention of doing the same, under the assumption that nobody else would be playing it from scratch this late in the day. If you do get it and fancy some co-op at some point give me a shout. 

*I only fell away from it originally due to lack of time rather than not enjoying it. I played a couple of evenings with @Pob and crew at the outset and liked what I played.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, K said:

Yes, definitely I would say. It's great fun and the setting is just brilliantly realised and so atmospheric. For that price I'd give it a whirl up to level 30 for sure. :)

10 hours ago, Flub said:

I think I'll give the PC version another bash. I really do want to be able to play the new one.

I somehow triple dipped (PC then Xbone then PS4) on this (don't ask) so would be happy to come along with a new char if you see me about. We can then swear viciously as we get overrun together! :lol:

7 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

I started a new character a few months back and the early game (say levels 1 - 7) felt much, much harder. Not impossible, but I died a lot! That first boss dude in the apartments man.

I ended up in a party of four during the intro police station mission and we were dropping like flies. That shouldn't be the case so early in a game like this. I really think they broke something :

• Empathy 1

Just wondering. Is there any other type of termination prejudice less severe than ‘extreme’?

Anyway, trailer was meh. Just strikes me as a really naff fiction.

16 hours ago, jonamok said:

Just wondering. Is there any other type of termination prejudice less severe than ‘extreme’?

Anyway, trailer was meh. Just strikes me as a really naff fiction.

Fair enough, but it's Tom Clancy so not sure we should be expecting some stunning, epic fiction. But who cares, dollar flu is go, Aaron Keener is going to get it (hopefully!) so let's go sort out swampy DC! ;)