Capwn

The Division 2

Something was bothering me about the combat and I wasn't sure what it was until I read this on Polygon

Environments appear to have much less contrast than in the original, especially at night or in dark environments. Once engaged, there’s no longer a guarantee that enemies will have a persistent icon floating over their heads. Those two differences combine to make it very hard to know how many enemies you’re fighting against at any given time, or where they even are on the map. 

Things may change in the mid or late game as more passive skills unlock, but in the opening few hours these factors combine to change the flow of combat quite a bit.

I can't recall from Division 1 if this icon thing was a passive skill or if I just used to spam Pulse loads, but you can very quickly get swarmed now especially in the open world which seems much wider than the narrow corridors of NY.

• Empathy 1

Aiming at an enemy for a second or two tags them with a marker above their head. I may be wrong but I think in the original game it required the Pulse skill to mark enemies. So if anything it's an improvement to enemy visibility if you don't just run in gung-ho. The radar is also far more useful in this as the enemy directional indicator is clearer and changes based upon proximity. If you see a series of 'pips' on the edge of the radar then it's telling you that enemies are close but not yet in engagement range, so you have plenty of warning and with a bit of observation can tag them before you engage.

I've found the far more open spaces of DC and the faster TTK require you to be a bit more aware of your surroundings when you're roaming the open world. As fantastic as the rendition of desolate New York was its grid layout meant that you were rarely surprised by enemies when roaming around and could run down streets with little care. You can't do that in this and there's far more going on in the world with random fights kicking off all over the place. All of the above is a marked improvement over the first game.

• Upvote 6

Played a few hours last night finally and... I BLOODY LOVE IT. :D

Just feels like a fantastically suped up version of 1. Think it feels great but can totally understand the complaints of lack atmosphere somewhat but hopefully that will come. Definitely helps if you know both cities that's for sure. Really enjoyed the gunplay and the sound was great I thought, playing on ss headphones with a dac.

Looking forward to playing more that's for sure.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Janski said:

Something was bothering me about the combat and I wasn't sure what it was until I read this on Polygon

I can't recall from Division 1 if this icon thing was a passive skill or if I just used to spam Pulse loads, but you can very quickly get swarmed now especially in the open world which seems much wider than the narrow corridors of NY.

Yeah but we don't have access to the pulse skill and besides there's a drone that marks enemies for you.

• Upvote 1

I'm excited for this. I played a few hours and remembered how much I enjoy tootling around the town and doing missions. I played the first game almost exclusively with randoms, along with the rest of my usual crew as we all picked it up on different platforms or at different times, so I'm looking forwards to jumping on with everyone. It's running well on my PC. I've got everything apart from a few shadow and reflections settings cranked to the max and I'm hitting a solid 70 at 2k. Happy days. 

• Upvote 1

its not that clear but of you scroll right on the character select screen you unlock a level 30 endgame character,  and get to choose 1 of the 3 end game weapons and participate in a whole mission.

Its balls out hard even on normal and you defo need to buddy up, proper intense and really shows how this will come in to its own with the new end game faction. They have all the toys.

• Upvote 2

Finally got a couple of hours on the beta just now and yep, i'm in. I was hoping for more of the same but with different skills and mission variety and from what I've seen, that's exactly what we've got.

I think someone mentioned already... it can look a bit odd during daytime, sort of washed out and weird contrast , it may just be my monitor setting need a tweak. At night time though, holy hell it looks gorgeous and patrolling those streets should match the atmosphere of the original during a snowstorm. 

• Upvote 3

Just did the end game mission and thoroughly enjoyed it with a few friends, really good stuff. Triple skill deployments in sequence, lots of flanking and general enjoyment. I absolutely cannot wait for the full game now. 

Now back to Div 1 for those final few shields before March 15th.

9 hours ago, Takizawa said:

Finally got a couple of hours on the beta just now and yep, i'm in. I was hoping for more of the same but with different skills and mission variety and from what I've seen, that's exactly what we've got.

Am I in?

1 hour ago, Len said:

Just did the end game mission and thoroughly enjoyed it with a few friends, really good stuff. Triple skill deployments in sequence, lots of flanking and general enjoyment. I absolutely cannot wait for the full game now. 

Now back to D1 for those final few shields before March 15th.

TD1. :rolleyes:

D1 is Destiny. ;)

Went back to Div 1 to get my shields and do love it but roll on March 15th. 

I'm hoping the atmosphere issues are somewhat squashed when we see new areas. A lot of central DC is wide open avenues but Georgetown for example is much more cramped (think small, old English town) and I think will be much different and be really spooky, hopefully. I've got a vague memory of seeing a clip of them near the canal in lower Georgetown at one point. Anyway, I think once the whole city shows itself we'll be ok.

On 11/02/2019 at 14:14, Fusty Gusset said:

Lovely looking but no amount of shine can take away how lightweight the gunplay feels. Preorder cancelled.

I ended up with a vector, it sounded utterly amazing.

• Upvote 1

Yeh, I found that gunplay comment surprising. If anything I thought it was chunkier in every way and you really, really have to use the cover system well. Really liked it.

Jump right in i say, no need to have played Div 1 at all. Co-op is where it shines but you'll be able to get through on your own up to a point. I wouldn't say they are the same except for the viewpoint. Gears is an all out shooter where this is more of an RPG, online, looter shooter (ha, what a mouthful!) where cover really, really counts.

No idea on campaign length but if like Div 1 you can dip in and out of the story missions whilst roaming it could be any amount of time you fancy. Hefty enough though I imagine.

18 hours ago, Len said:

Yeh, I found that gunplay comment surprising. If anything I thought it was chunkier in every way and you really, really have to use the cover system well. Really liked it.

I agree, gunplay was a step up from Div1 across the board in my opinion.

The TTK seemed better too to give it more zip and focus on movement/cover as well as spamming clips into people. Didn't get enough time to get into the end game mission, how "bullet spongey" was it?

• Upvote 1

Was a little bit more spongey but there was generally just a bit more going on. The mechanical dogs, the drones, more weaker enemies and bosses who showed extensive armour that needed breaking meant that it was just more frantic but infinitely more fun than laying 50 LMG rounds in to some guy in a hoodie.

I did the end game mission on hard, took about 40 minutes, and there was a few deaths but with a team of 4 I had a great time.

• Upvote 2

Sounds good. I just got a bit sick of the legendaries in Div1, having to hammer 10 clips into a normal scally with a baseball bat while their shotgunners could put you in the red with a single shot from 7 blocks away. Just felt a bit unbalanced and made for fairly static cover and shoot encounters.

I'm hoping to get onto the end mission during the public beta in a couple of weeks to give it a crack. Progress carries over I believe doesn't it?

• Upvote 1