Carrion - Be a fleshy tentacle nightmare monster

I suspect it’s a bit unrealistic for a monstrous oozing blob with no discernible eyes or digits to have a map but, that said, it would probably help a bit.

Any tips for navigation or knowing where to go next?

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

I suspect it’s a bit unrealistic for a monstrous oozing blob with no discernible eyes or digits to have a map but, that said, it would probably help a bit.

Any tips for navigation or knowing where to go next?

pressing L shows you certain areas you can get through, but generally the last ability you got means just backtrack a little until you find somewhere to use it 

... It's... it's a bit boring, isn't it?

I was pretty hyped for this, but after eating my 50th human being and crawling around a bunch of similar-looking areas, I'm just not feeling it whatsoever.

This is great - moving the creature around is absolutely joyous, it’s ludicrously fun just slithering around like a sentient bogey. How long is it? I’ve been playing for about 90 minutes, and I’ve unlocked half the achievements already. 

What’s the deal with the grey jumpsuited soldiers who you can’t eat? Are they supposed to be synthetics?

10 minutes ago, K said:

This is great - moving the creature around is absolutely joyous, it’s ludicrously fun just slithering around like a sentient bogey. How long is it? I’ve been playing for about 90 minutes, and I’ve unlocked half the achievements already. 

What’s the deal with the grey jumpsuited soldiers who you can’t eat? Are they supposed to be synthetics?

I took that they have special shields and suits you can’t munch through.

Might be a bit soon to post this as I've only got a couple of the abilities, but playing this at speed and just being a completely unrelenting bundle of non-human murder mass is a bit of a fucking treat, innit?

Sometimes it's just more fun to ignore all the set pieces in a room and just barrel towards the jumpsuit dudes, fly over their heads and then slam them against the nearest wall ^_^ I'm not entirely sure if I'll get bored of growing just behind a door/vent and then punting it at the nearest person who investigates, either. Just has that Hotline Miami door-kicking vibe to it.

Could do with a map of sorts, mind. Seems linear so far, but all these methods of getting into certain parts of the game and the portals just makes me think they'll pull some metroid backtracking nonsense.

30 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Those electricity boxes on walls. What’re they for? I think some of them might shut down lasers but most don’t seem to do much.

They give you energy!

...and done. Rare for me to stick with a game to the very end. 

I now seem to have access to a demo level which is a mini-mix of the various levels. That definitely wasn't there before, right?

Great game.

16 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

How is this on Switch? Is there any reason to get it on a different platform?

It's on Game Pass if that's an option?

Played through this yesterday, an absolute delight.

was a bit annoyed that I saved after the point of no return so missed a couple of achievements so to save anyone that headache make a separate save after you finish “The Bunker” and you’ll be fine.

its pretty short anyway so will replay one rainy afternoon again

4 hours ago, Junker said:

Was really enjoying this. Played up to the garden level, saved. Came back to it next day, went for a wander, now no idea where I go next?

As ever, 20 mins of slithering and tumbling about and I’m back in the storyline. The ability I’ve just got 

Spoiler

Parasite

Made me chuckle. Really enjoying this now.

I have definitely enjoyed my time with this but I do think it lacked a certain something. Watching the credits roll, I couldn't help but feel that the gameplay never really evolved as much as I was hoping. The component parts are all there and and its technically impressive but as a whole, there's a ever-present feeling of shallowness that never quite went away in my 6 or so hours playing.

Yeah, I’m about halfway through I think and it feels like they could have done a lot more with the idea. The puzzles are pretty basic, and each room requires very little in the way of thought to take out the guards. You don’t really have to plan or strategise, or use your abilities in a clever way. 

Maybe it’s the lack of a map, but the base doesn’t really feel like a coherent location. You skip from mines to labs to gardens to scrapheaps without much a sense of really exploring a place. 

The game looks gorgeous, and controlling the beast is pure pleasure, but it doesn’t really feel like the pace is changing or that the level design is building up to anything. It all feels a bit one-note. 

I got as far as the penultimate level in this, but a combination of rubbish checkpointing, the baffling omission of a map and the broken movement once the monster reaches it's largest form all mean that I won't be coming back.

Up until that point, besides, I'd hardly call it scintillating. As @K, and others, have suggested, it doesn't really build on its initial premise at all and you're doing more or less exactly the same things in later levels that you were in the initial ones. If I had completed it then there wouldn't have been a great deal to elevate it above a 6/10 for me. The whole thing feels very slight.

I thoroughly enjoyed this, I'd say it was what I expected as soon as I saw the original trailer last year and didn't disappoint. I was determined to complete this before my Game Pass expired and finished this last night. I found the end section a bit annoying as to where to go but otherwise I quite liked the quirky concept of it. One thing I didn't quire understand though...

Spoiler

What were the human sections about? Were those meant to be flashbacks?

1 hour ago, Spiceymike said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this, I'd say it was what I expected as soon as I saw the original trailer last year and didn't disappoint. I was determined to complete this before my Game Pass expired and finished this last night. I found the end section a bit annoying as to where to go but otherwise I quite liked the quirky concept of it. One thing I didn't quire understand though...

Hide contents

What were the human sections about? Were those meant to be flashbacks?

Yes. Supposed to be your memories of being discovered and captured apparently but I had to read that to understand it.

How did you guys miss that when the achievements even say ‘completed flash back 1’ or what ever.

Im nearing the end now and have really enjoyed my time so far. The lack of a map I feel is almost a psychological thing from having played metroid etc as the level design really is super linear and you are generally funnelled to each new room. I actually feel like the game does constantly change over its play through and does introduce new puzzles. I guess they never feel like that much of a jump but they are certainly there with things like the parasite ability.

The gun turret noises and effects, what a wonderful sound, I’d love a FPS to rip off that effect as it feels so impactful despite.

I guess the complaints about it not feeling like a proper location are valid and it could do way more with the puzzles at the expense of slowing the game down but for a game that’s around 4 hours long I’m totally fine with what we’ve got which has been a super polished product from what I expect is a small team.

Even though I'm not usually into this sort of gore soaked edgelord stuff, I've really enjoyed this too, it's just a really satisfying feeling game, mechanically. You're really powerful, but also a bit fragile, and the game has a pleasing pace to it, where you only need to survive a few screens before getting a save and healing up. There's also some clever stuff particularly early on, where it takes you through vents past areas you'll visit a bit later, essentially letting you scout them out. It's also the only game I've ever seen where a lot of the story Achievements list 100% completion, it seems like a game a lot of people load up and unexpectedly end up spending a good few hours in.

The navigation took me a little time to get my head around, but it's not too complicated, there's essentially a hub area, with the entrances and exits to the various levels through the tubes. The main progression is pretty linear, and each level is pretty compact, and you can revisit them later to get an optional upgrade.

This is great. The animation for the humans is pure Prince of Persia and the creature moves like a pile of spaghetti slipping out of the colander and down the plug hole. I just wish my other half wasn’t going to turn on the Switch to play Animal Crossing tomorrow and see a giant tentacle vag staring back at her. :lol:

2 hours ago, Jonnysaxc said:

In stuck

Hide contents

I an at the bunker, i have done the pier but there seens nowhere left to go?

Spoiler

The bunker was the last major location for me before the ending, I think you want to go to the control room on the map I posted, there's an exit on the left side that leads to the finale.