rllmuk

Just now, BoggyB said:

I like the new tank focussed map. I've had a few rounds with no deaths and at least a dozen tanks destroyed since people seem to like picking the slow as hell Tiger to sit exposed in the middle of a field in. 

Yeah it makes a nice change of pace and the tank battles can be great fun.

23 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

Whenever we get 4 going it tends to be a winathon. And even the ones we lose tend to be a really enjoyable white knuckle ride. Sometimes I even prefer the ones we lose because we knuckle down and really try to pull our shit together. Sometimes on the winning side we tend to cruise a bit.

Any time you see me on feel free to join the party and squad. That goes for anyone.

GT: kerrraig

Yeah, I prefer to lose in a close game than win by steamrollering the other team. Some convincing wins last night but not decimation.

The fucking spotting assignment can fucking do one, mind.

Had a good couple of games today, everybody seemed to be reviving lots and really pulling together as a team. Bunch of my pals ended up getting this cheap so hopefully it'll build up a bit more momentum after the sluggish launch. The sound is absolutely magnificent. The snowy plane/infantry mountain map reminds me a lot of Achi Baba. I also got a random shotgun drop in the armoury, was really missing some close quarters carnage after BF1. 

On 25/12/2018 at 12:32, BoggyB said:

Is there a list of pc players anywhere? It'd be cool to join a functioning squad for a change. 

Probably the only one you will find from rllmuk is me. Obviously, I'm easy to find on origin as I'm .....pulsemyne.

On 24/12/2018 at 12:51, CarloOos said:

I regularly play solo, and the first thing I do is keep changing squads until I find one with little to no recons, that way I know the other randoms are more likely to actually be playing the objectives and will usually help me out/be in a useful position to spawn.

Once you start doing useful things, like taking objectives nobody else is looking at, I tend to find they’ll follow your lead. This also works vice versa, if you spot a team-mate off in the middle of nowhere capturing/defending something, go help them. You don’t need comms for a lot of it, the flow of the game is usually instinctive. I still end up near/at the top of the leaderboards most matches.

Yup, same as me. Go, capture or defend flags, supppy or heal folk and it kinda falls into place when team-mates see you doing good stuff. I've been a Battlefield devotee since buying a new PC to play BF2 after seeing on Consolevania. I didnt like BF1 and went back to BF4, but this one is wicked. Im MattLeSolid on Xbox Live.

I’m on the last stage of tides of war, to win a grand operation- so I launch it from that screen, go all the way through stages 1-3, winning each one, match completes, and....nothing. It doesn’t register it.

What the hell is the point launching this mooted tides of war system, which is tied to progression goals, when their game can’t track progression goals???

• Upvote 1
35 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Finally got this on PS4, looking for squadmates: Jigsawn on PSN. Can't wait!

Back home after the Chrimbo break so hopefully get this installed shortly so add me up if not already done (everyone)!

First BF on console so should be interesting. Still getting it on PC when I get round to building a new one in the new year mind.

Ok, if anyone else is having trouble, just contact EA support- they’ll actually unlock the weapon for you.

Stupid that Dice can’t even get something like that working in a game that’s been out for weeks, but at least it means you don’t have to play loads of grand operations hoping you get put on a decent side.

What are the chances, only my third game and I get pitched against a team containing @kerraig UK . A pleasure....apart from all the times you killed me. :(

Got this on PS4 for Chrimbo after a passing comment to the wife that it looked pretty good. Got round to giving it a good go the last couple of nights. It is excellent. 

I put about 100 hours in to BF3 and BF4 but skipped BF1 completely.  Only a couple of hours in and the memories are creeping back.  I’m currently terrible but there is a lot going on. 

Pretty sure I played BF3 and 4 with some of you guys on X360 but I’ve added myself to the MUK clan anyway so feel free to chuck over an invite to squad up. 

PSN - Mooselizer 

• Upvote 3

I've played this enough now to feel I can say this fairly - I like it but it's nothing like as good as Bad Company 2/BF3/4. I like frontlines small best, but the maps are featureless and flat compared to good rush maps from those past games. Good rush maps had really different terrain/settings/buildings on each station, and sometimes interesting transitions (like jumping off the dam) and it's odd that in a newer game this has lots of window-dressing buildings you can't even go in (in Rotterdam) and out-of-bounds areas that don't make any sense (Rotterdam just blocks off a whole area to stop you flanking). And Hamada is just bad - it's big enough to be vehicle based, but the ranges involved in a mostly empty map mean that while you need to be an assault to deal with the vehicles, recons will kill you a lot.
It's a shame because the gunplay is decent and I like stuff like the sliding/lying on your back and the new revive mechanic, but the level design's really bland and it's less open to creativity than previous games tht had more equipment (people standing on UAVs, parachuting onto roofs, C4 on quad bikes etc..). I prefer the old spotting as well. I should say I am still enjoying it (and look forward to the battle royale mode) but can't help feeling it's gone backwards.

• Upvote 3

Now I've sunk a few days into the full game I'm absolutely loving it and seeing out the end of my holidays doing nothing else! @KartoffelKopf I would have been playing with Kerraig as well last night (Jigsawn, feel free to add), what maps were you on?

The best thing for me is the gunplay which is just superb - it's possibly got the most satisfying weapons in any FPS I've played, across all classes as well. And I normally don't play sniper but in this game the snipers are really meaty and balanced, plus they feel a lot more tactical with smoke, spawn beacons and binoculars so you can support your team instead of sitting 100 miles from the fight all the time doing feck all to help.

I really like the levels for the most part. Hamada outside the castle area can be a bit tedious as its just so fecking big, but that aside the other maps are corkers. The game modes are great as well. I think Frontlines is superb, it's a tug of war over points where big or brainy plays can swing the balance of the whole game. The smaller number of players means that your contributions make a real difference and a single squad can get a lot done. Breakout is another brilliant mode where teamwork is really important as there are so few objectives.

Grand Operations is fun but its just a shame that it doesn't feel like the team's win/loss in each round make much difference to the final result. First of all it's bloody hard to get enough objectives as attackers to even get a bonus for the next round, and even if you do it doesn't seem very impactful. Conquest is still good of course but I've come to realise the more focused battles of other modes are usually better fun. In Conquest you're often most effective on massive flanks or running across half the map to an uncontested flag deep in enemy territtory. On the larger maps this can be pretty tedious. For me Breakout and stuff like Airborne do a good job of keeping the battles feeling more like an epic war by keeping players concentrated around just a few objectives.

They've fixed most of the gameplay annoyances of the beta. For me that means the limited ammo/health balance feels right. The bleeding out timer is spot on, if you want to just die now its fast, but you can hold on long enough for a medic usually if its safe. The fortifications are still ace, the planes seem a bit more effective and there are a really nice spread of light vehicles and tanks to choose from (including the Crocodile, a flamethrower tank!).

Of course there are still some lingering annoyances as well but the rest of the game is so good I can deal with it. The GUI is awful, the load times are bad (especially quitting out of a server, why does it take over a minute just to quit!), there are still game breaking bugs occasionally, bipods and vaulting are seriously inconsistent (getting fixed next patch), game servers don't refill after each match, and so on.

But the game is just damned fun. I'd agree with Panda that the creativity/wackiness is toned down a lot but it's not a dealbreaker for me. It's definitely true it doesn't feel as much as a warzone as some previous Battlefields but there are still so many memorable Battlefield moments. Examples include:

- A plane kamikazing into a church spire at the point we were defending, taking down the whole steeple and the burning plane wreck stuck at the top of the tower.

- Taking three minutes to drive a slow-ass Tiger tank from spawn, and just before arriving at the critical battle driving into what looked like a shallow river only to sink like a stone and die.

- Watching as puttering V2 rockets land on the point in front of you - filling the whole screen with a gigantic explosion that kills multiple enemies, levels buildings and fortifications and throws friendlies to their feet.

- Playing rear gunner to a Stuker bomber above the Fjell in Narvik, incredible snowscape mountains with clear blue sky as scenery, whilst all the planes wheel around the objectives. Fighting off Spitfires in Star Wars style dogfights with tracer fire going everywhere - punctuated by going into vertical dives on bombing runs, accompanied by that telltale whine as you descend.

- Circling a heavy tank in a jeep at full speed to distract it whilst my mate sneaked up to rocket it in the arse (yes, I died, but the tank did too).

- Parachuting behind enemy lines on Narvik and sneaking up to the AA gun mounted on the water tower, stabbing the two enemies in the back up there. Then taking control of the AA gun, pointing it at the ground instead of the sky, and using it to decimate and distract the whole enemy team from behind whilst my allies pushed forward to plant the bombs.

- Turning around corners to see the whole enemy team and yoloing out with your rocket launcher or dynamite. If I'm going down, you're going down with me!

- A massive stairway battle on Rotterdam where half of each team was running around the apartment buildings with SMGs and smoke getting thrown everywhere, total carnage.

- Outnumbered and backcapping a point as a sniper. Downing an incoming enemy at range and then lured in his mates one by one for the revive only to headshot them just like in Full Metal Jacket.

- Kerraig helpfully strafing right in front of me just as I was firing my rocket launcher. 

- Out on the front line after taking out an enemy tank with my Churchill tank I got surrounded by anti-tank enemies so bailed out when at about half health. But I ran around the tank like a madman before they figured out I had jumped out and put down three mines in front of it. Of course some of them immediately hopped into their unexected present, drove forward and then BOOM. Massive explosion, triple kill and I somehow managed to escape by running away like a nutter firing my rockets to make lots of smoke! 

- Calling in a supply drop on top of a squad mate who was on an AA gun during a game we were dominating. The first two crates bounced off the AA gun but third time lucky, the last one fell directly onto his head killing him instantly.

I love this game

• Upvote 9
6 hours ago, panda_t said:

I've played this enough now to feel I can say this fairly - I like it but it's nothing like as good as Bad Company 2/BF3/4. I like frontlines small best, but the maps are featureless and flat compared to good rush maps from those past games. Good rush maps had really different terrain/settings/buildings on each station, and sometimes interesting transitions (like jumping off the dam) and it's odd that in a newer game this has lots of window-dressing buildings you can't even go in (in Rotterdam) and out-of-bounds areas that don't make any sense (Rotterdam just blocks off a whole area to stop you flanking). And Hamada is just bad - it's big enough to be vehicle based, but the ranges involved in a mostly empty map mean that while you need to be an assault to deal with the vehicles, recons will kill you a lot.
It's a shame because the gunplay is decent and I like stuff like the sliding/lying on your back and the new revive mechanic, but the level design's really bland and it's less open to creativity than previous games tht had more equipment (people standing on UAVs, parachuting onto roofs, C4 on quad bikes etc..). I prefer the old spotting as well. I should say I am still enjoying it (and look forward to the battle royale mode) but can't help feeling it's gone backwards.

I'm gonna do a bit of forensics on this as I think its interesting. Obviously caveated with the fact that these are my own tastes and opinions.

I've decided to do a 'base maps' review of the last few BF titles. I'll put it in spoilers for length. This is just the maps the game launched with. If I have time I'll do a maps pack follow up. 

Spoiler

Gonna give each map a rating out of 10 and a one line review. Then each game a total based on the overall map scores. 

Bad Company 2 

Arica Harbour (10) - Quintessential and pure BF at its finest. A mix of waterways, towns, industrial, desert and elevation. Works just as well in Rush as in Conquest. 
Valparaiso (8) - A personal favourite. Loads of brush to hide in and some great mixture of elevation and water. However, it was very hard to push the first checkpoint on Rush and was pretty narrow. 

Atacama Desert (7) - Huge swathes of open ground to cover, but a great town area, then a military base with a tank fight to finish with gave great flow. Was totally broken in conquest by the choppers. 

Laguna Presa (8) - An absolutely fantastic jungle map that was weirdly unpopular due to the boat start on Rush. People just never worked out that coming in from the sides gave greater success than just tearing on to the beach in dinghies. After a while it became impossible to find a game on this map. 
Isla Innocentes (7) - Narrow shanty town push up a hill and over to a military base. Solid design but too narrow and getting over the top was impossible against a good team.
Nelson Bay (4) - Night time forest map in which every tree could be felled quickly by the defenders, making it impossible for the attackers to get anywhere near. Fortunately, MComs could be destroyed from afar with explosives which allowed for some balance, but the map was essentially broken. 

Panama Canal (7) - Corking long range battles across an unbuilt ship. Intricate container fights met with long range sniper fests

Port Valdez (5) - Another snow map with great elevation, but almost impossible to push against a decent team on Rush and woefully one sided on Conquest. 

Total maps 8. Total score: 56

Verdict: By far the best release maps of any BF game, and I don't really understand why the design principles haven't been as closely followed ever since or why even we haven't received some of these maps in the updates. 

BF3

Caspian Border. (7) -This would be greatly improved in BF4 when it returned with the wall. A big open playground for vehicles but not that much for infantry to get stuck into.

Damavand Peak. (7) - While the parachute drop was hugely memorable, this was too narrow for rush and too one sided in the tunnels for conquest.

Kharg Island. (4) - A real nothing of a map

Norshar Canals. (5) - Another lazy, barren open wasteland with very few memorable features

Operation Firestorm. (4) - This made for a trio of boring maps that really hurt BF3 at launch. 

Operation Metro. (6) - Possibly the most popular map in the history of Battlefield. Which is depressing, as it was just a face to face cluster fuck of grenades. Pure ADD gaming and not at all what makes BF great. 

Seine Crossing. (10) So much variety, so many great flashpoints. Great destruction, brilliantly designed bases. Great for tanks and infantry alike. A classic.

Grand Bazaar (9) - A brutally hard first checkpoint on Rush knocks a point off an otherwise exceptional map that had a great double back mechanic on Rush, where you push up on the Bazaar, then have to hook round the side of it and return to where you started, but this time along a broken freeway. 

Total maps 8. Total score: 51

Verdict: A real mixed bag. Some of the best BF design ever met with some of the worst. 

BF4

Dawnbreaker. (7) - Solid map with great elevation. All the rooftops thinned the infantry fighting on the ground though. 

Flood Zone. (6) - Interesting idea that didn't necessarily work. Rooftop snipers annoyed and the car park was the only really fun place to fight. 

Golmud Railway. (7) - Awesome map if you like Tanks, not so much if you don't. Luckily, the dev team went to work on the tanks in this iteration and they are hugely fun (and diverse) to play around with. The train carriage mobile base made for a real power dynamic in conquest, but it was unbalanced as hell in Rush.

Hainan Resort. (6) - A lovely looking map but a little sparse. The elevation makes it sniper heaven again. 

Lancang Dam. (5) - Boring and unbalanced. Supposedly a chopper map but the Tunguska is so overpowered its impossible to fly. 

Operation Locker. (8) - A variation on operation metro. Not as good looking but much better balanced. Its till too easy to push one team back and spawn trap them, but the fight around the middle is amazing if that doesnt happen.

Paracel Storm. (7) - Boy did I have some fun with choppers on this one. Maybe a bit too spread out for good flow, but the building vs chopper fights were ace

Rogue Transmission. (6) - Too big and sparse, but had its moments.

Siege of Shanghai (8) - One of the ugliest BF maps of all time, but the bases were all great fun to fight in. 

Total maps 9. Total Score: 60

Verdict: Don't let the score fool you, the game had 1 more map than the others at launch. Some solid design, but the insistence on making boats a thing, combined with some crazy rooftops on nearly all maps made sniping a constant issue, and also removed lots of infantry from the fight, meaning the game didn't have the intense flashpoint around a single base that the later iterations excelled at. 

BF1

Ballroom Blitz (8) - Just a great map. A central courtyard overlooked pockets of base fighting that all felt unique and had some great design elements (The train station, the water fountain...)

Argonne Forest (7) - A variation on Operation Locker. Another tunnely map, despite being set in sumptuous forest. Briliiant terrain fighting, but a little one sided and once pushed back your team had next to no chance to escape. 

Fao Fortress (6) - A great castle fight at one end, but the rest was a little featureless, and the team that took the high ground always tends to win. 
Suez (6) - Another of the linear maps that allow one team to get spawn trapped. However, with balanced teams the fights within the crumbling towns are glorious. Destruction a go go 
St Quentins Scar (8) - A great mix of vehicles and infantry, towns, fields, hills and flanking options. What Battliefield does best. Mixed intot hat is some incredible trench fighting in operations that is unlike anything Battlefield had attempted before. 

Sinai Desert (4) - Yawn!

Amiens (10) - Possibly the best map they've ever made. Alleyways, windows, train tracks, building to building fighting. A really great flow as the action centres around two sides of a train track facing off. It just works a treat. 

Monte Grappa (7) - A beautiful looking Italian mountain made for some really intense pushes. Great flow to this one, but some good pilots could really ruin your day. 
Empires Edge (7) - A huge map that balances tanks, planes and infantry well. The crumbling and fully destructible castles made for some really dynamic play. 

Total maps 9. Total Score: 63

Again, one more map than early games. I think this is the misunderstood bastard child of the series. It is heftier, the guns are more idiosyncratic, and the fighting is more condensed and chaotic, but for me it achieved exactly what it set out to. The trenches added a new tactical element that made the fighting feel unlike any other FPSm which frustrated many, but is a real testament to Dice. A cerebral and brilliant bunch of maps. 

BF5

Rotterdam (9) - Such an intelligent map. Sightlines, chokepoints, elevation and mix of infantry and vehicles are all a culmination of years of learning. I'll likely up this to a 10 after a few weeks. Masterful.
Devastation (7) - Only thing stopping this being a 9 is some sticky scenery and didgy clipping and bullet detection. Hoping it gets a patch. 

Arras (7) - Gorgeous and cleverly designed. Brilliant town based infantry fighting or great tank battles on the fringes. The corn fields needs a patch as the pop in ruins the gameplay. 
Twisted Steel (8) - I love this map. Vast, varied, each base plays differently. The marshland on the laft and right or the Metro style push through the burned out vehicles on the bridge. 
Fjell (7) - Another corridor variation. Like a mix of Operation locker and Grand Bazaar. The village on C makes for a great mass shootout
Hamada (4) - Probably one of the worst maps they've made since Kharg Island. Fighting in the castle is fun, the barren rocky wastelands not so much.
Airbourne (6) - Fighting around a huge central hanger, this can be too snipey, and the hanger is carnage. But I've had some great rounds on there. 
Narvik (7) - Good solid Battlefielding. Building to building fighting, train track pushing, clever cover like upturned coal carts and slag heaps...

Total maps 8. Total Score: 55

Hamada and Airbourne are probable the weakest of what I consider to be a strong launch lineup. The strongest since Bad Company 2, which I think is by far the best launch lineup they've had.

OVERALL VERDICT: Best launch maps: Bad Company 2. Worst Launch maps: Battlefield 3 (despite having some absolute stonkers)

Top 5 maps:

1. Arica Harbour (BC2)

2. Amiens (BF1)

3. Seine Crossing (BF3)

4. Rotterdam (BF5)

5. Valparaiso (BC2)

Worst 5 maps:

1. Kharg Island (BF3)
2. Nelson Bay (BC2)

3. Nohshar Canals (BF3)

4. Hamada (BF5)

5. Lancang Dam (BF4)

• Upvote 5

That's interesting - what do you like about Rotterdam? Maybe it's good in conquest, it seems limited in the modes I play :/ It struck me the other day how different it was from the Seine map and that BF4 map where you could have fights in the apartments because most of the buildings aren't open, they're effectively just the walls of big corridors

EDIT - also, reminded me I absolutely loved Valparaiso. Used to have a routine for the first stations where I'd get on a quad bike, wait for the first gunfire from the right, meaning defenders were distracted/engaged, then gun it down the left, smash through the fence and into the left hand MCOM station, arm it, then smoke grenade the door so anyone coming in stumbled straight into fire, worked great. The progression of that map is the sort of thing I think this one lacks - each bit was quite different, and I often used to switch classes because they needed different approaches, so for the second pair I'd often go sniper and try to clear the way for attackers, looking down the hilll to the ones in the village. Then the last pair were always absolutely savage and all the cover used to get destroyed. Maybe just the difference when maps are designed for rush primarily?

Regarding Rotterdam I think you need to play it some more. There are definitely more buildings you can fight in/through than there were in Seine Crossing. If you think about the left hand curved street in Seine, that was just a wall of textures with no cover or interactivity. Between the cars that could be blown up and the rubble you could drop it was an absolute death trap for attackers.

The designers have to balance the gameplay. If all buildings were interactive on Rotterdam there is a chance no players would ever interact! As it is i think the flow they've designed is sublime. The streets are the main routes, but there is an intricate network of passageways through the courtyards and buildings where you can get to one side of the map to the other only having to cross one main road.

Jigsawn and I yesterday had an amazing fight in a tenement block that went on for a solid 10 mins with another squad that was unlike anything from the older BFs

Regarding your second point, on Vilaparaiso. Yeah, when you look at those BC2 maps (which are excellent) they have been clearly designed for Rush. They have a flow and tempo that makes them unique and distinguishable. 

I don't like Conquest. I think it lacks flow and is too sparse and sporadic. On BF5 I love Breakthrough and Frontlines. I think the maps on BF5 are great (not Hamada) at balancing all the different playstyles. I do miss the more focused Rush experience of BC2, but I think this is the best example yet of trying to capture that onward march.

I'm ready for more maps now though.

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Thank god @kerraig UK got it right and declared Seine Crossing as the best map ever ;) 

I was gonna shout at you about the BF4 maps but my word did that game need the DLC for its genius to become apparent.

Yeah BF4 had a really schizo opening bunch. Some absolutely incredible maps in the packs of course, but unfortunately they dropped the shittest map pack first. Remember the AC-10!

The Aftermath map pack was probably the best map pack of any BF game. 

6 hours ago, Alan Stock said:

Now I've sunk a few days into the full game I'm absolutely loving it and seeing out the end of my holidays doing nothing else! @KartoffelKopf I would have been playing with Kerraig as well last night (Jigsawn, feel free to add), what maps were you on?

Ah yeah, I seem to remember that name popping up too. 

Don’t know the names of the maps yet but it was the snowy one with the buildings and the one with the pretty meadow on the Frontlines playlist. 

So is the Tides of War officially broken then? I spent about an hour doing Grand operations and have no idea if I won or what was actually happening in any way. Seems like a nice idea for a game type but not properly implemented. 

Loving the game as a whole though. Back to work tomorrow so spent most of the day grinding out the Assault class. Really loving the Gewehr 95, seems like it was made just for me. Works as a high rate of fire sniper with the 3x scope and is quick enough to work up close too. It’s pretty nasty. 

Don’t really have any opinions on the maps yet, too early to tell but I had an epic game of breakthrough on the one with the bridge, just pushing pushing pushing the enemy back. Soon as the point is captured and everyone just streams over against the enemy, fantastic stuff.