rllmuk
kerraig UK

Battlefield V

It looks superb, but I'm sad they caved into pressure and put a token battle royale mode in there. I'd prefer it if they put those resources into launching it with a few more maps. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

38 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

Hope the full game runs better than the alpha. The performance was really unoptimised. Then again previous alphas were also like it. 

Compare BF4 now to when it first came out. It was almost unplayable at first!

4 hours ago, Pug said:

This is going to shit on CoD from such an altitude.  

They're not even remotely comparable and, as has been alluded to, the current released build of BFV is seriously lagging behind in terms of stability.

The alpha has swayed my opinion of this though; I was never a fan of BF1, not only the setting but the needlessly large scale of the maps with minimal cover. Thankfully Amiens on Frontlines mode saved the day for me. BFV, on the other hand, feels more refined in terms of the released maps so far. It feels like each building has a purpose, clearly overlooking objectives, but equally is also a target for destruction or to be used as an enemy stronghold. There were also more capture points to acquire across the map, so even if the maps are equally as large, the ground to cover between bases has been reduced. The inclusion of a third person camera for squad joining is long overdue and other nice adjustments include better UI flow into battle and the visual flair associated with ribbons has been toned down in favour of the spectacular environmental factors demonstrated throughout the trailers.

I'll be picking up both this and Call of Duty, there is always room for both, I just hope that this is finally the entry that drags me away from the well-refined gameplay of BF4 as BF1 didn't quite fully convince me.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, smithstock said:

They're not even remotely comparable and, as has been alluded to, the current released build of BFV is seriously lagging behind in terms of stability.

The alpha has swayed my opinion of this though; I was never a fan of BF1, not only the setting but the needlessly large scale of the maps with minimal cover. Thankfully Amiens on Frontlines mode saved the day for me. BFV, on the other hand, feels more refined in terms of the released maps so far. It feels like each building has a purpose, clearly overlooking objectives, but equally is also a target for destruction or to be used as an enemy stronghold. There were also more capture points to acquire across the map, so even if the maps are equally as large, the ground to cover between bases has been reduced. The inclusion of a third person camera for squad joining is long overdue and other nice adjustments include better UI flow into battle and the visual flair associated with ribbons has been toned down in favour of the spectacular environmental factors demonstrated throughout the trailers.

I'll be picking up both this and Call of Duty, there is always room for both, I just hope that this is finally the entry that drags me away from the well-refined gameplay of BF4 as BF1 didn't quite fully convince me.

I really like this dissection. Especially as someone who thinks BF1 is the cerebral unsung hero of the series and the deepest of all the games so far. If it marries my deep system learning with your experiential needs to positive effect then it will likely be the greatest shooter in history 

• Upvote 1

Looks fantastic - I'm a huge fan of BF1 but this looks bigger, better and more varied.

I really really really really really want a go in a Spitfire.  Despite being utterly shit at flying planes in BF1. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, KriessG said:

The trailer states in-game engine. If you’ve got a powerful PC it’s going to look really incredible.

Yeah but we’ve all seen enough cut scenes and trailers made with the in game engine that the actual game doesn’t look as good as. If you have the power of direction and controlling a scene you can do things you wouldn’t otherwise see in game.

I mean, I’m sure it will look great but I don’t think it will play like that.

11 minutes ago, Dave White said:

Wonder if you can survive belly flop landings in the planes? Im sure the first trailer had a pilot alive after a crash.

Hope they take off from a strip this time, really miss that.

Yeah, mines/C4 on the strip was the ultimate troll!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dave White said:

Wonder if you can survive belly flop landings in the planes? Im sure the first trailer had a pilot alive after a crash.

Hope they take off from a strip this time, really miss that.

Yeah spawning into aircraft and them being perpetually in flight put me off ever using them. 

I loved the way you repaired your aircraft in 1943, by flying low over your carrier.

Even though it’d take ages I’d really like having to land at an airstrip to refuel, rearm and repair. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Pob said:

Even though it’d take ages I’d really like having to land at an airstrip to refuel, rearm and repair. 

I like that idea. It would help when you have a player whos a good pilot as they cant just bomb the frick out of everyone for a whole game and end up on like 60 - 1 or something

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, Luseth said:

I like that idea. It would help when you have a player whos a good pilot as they cant just bomb the frick out of everyone for a whole game and end up on like 60 - 1 or something

Seems like a logical addition to add refuelling and rearming if ammo is not unlimited now. 

• Upvote 1

The one time I'm all in for a new BF and this happens:

Battlefield 5 “potentially headed for serious disappointment,” says Cowen

In a note to CNBC, analyst Doug Creutz said that Battlefield 5 pre-orders are below other anticipated fall games like Black Ops 4, Red Dead Redemption 2, and even Assassin’s Creed Odyssey.

“EA’s Battlefield 5 currently appears to potentially be headed for serious disappointment,” noted Creutz. “If we had to pick one game to be a casualty of the crowded October window, this would clearly be it.”

More specifically, Creutz revealed that Battlefield 5 pre-orders are tracking “more than 85%” behind Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, which is well below the gap Battlefield 4, and Battlefield 3 had with their Call of Duty counterparts in their respective years (20-40%).

Battlefield 1, the series’ best-selling game, was the only entry to track ahead of Call of Duty (Infinite Warfare) in pre-orders.

Not sure what this will mean for the numbers on PC so I'm kind of wondering whether or not I should keep my pre-order. Especially that if it does sell badly it'll be up for cheap on CDkeys a few weeks after launch. Then again the open beta might be all sorts of awesome in which case I'll still be there day 1. 

Also:

Battlefield 5’s battle royale mode isn’t being made by DICE

Global community lead for EA’s Star Wars games, Ben Walke, revealed on Redditthat DICE isn’t actually working on the Battlefield 5 battle royale mode. Instead, development duties are being handled by a different studio.

“Royale is being made by a different studio, not DICE,” Walke said, which would indicate that it’s not even being developed by DICE’s LA branch, which often provides additional work like post-launch support, as well as development on Battlefield’s various add-ons.

The identify of the studio is really anybody’s guess at this point, but it’s important to note that DICE may simply intend to take over development once Battlefield 5 has been released. Being a Frostbite game, it’s also safe to assume whatever studio is currently working on royale is within EA’s group.