kerraig UK

Battlefield V

7 minutes ago, idiwa said:

Cheers for the breakdown Alan. It certainly feels harder to bring a tank down in BF V than in BF 4.. also as a side note I'm sure in 4 it was pretty easy to get ammo off support and be back up to full compliment (rockets and grenades) in one supply. Feels in V like you're just getting primary ammunition and then getting explosives after a second resupply. Maybe thats just rose tinted spectacles though.

Crates give you a rocket, pouches give you ammo only.

Get out your tool (matron) and the map will tell you where you can build an ammo crate

• Upvote 1

Yep as Assault if you want to be as anti-tank as possible always resupply at one of the big ammo crates when you spawn to get an extra rocket. And always keep an eye out for crates or ones that you can build so you can refill your rockets as you never know when a tank's going to roll in. 

Where tanks get real scary in this game is when they sit back from a point where all of the cover has been destroyed. It's hard to land rockets at longer ranges and generally you'll be hitting their front armour assuming there is no cover around to flank the tank. Meanwhile the tank can just bombard the crap out of the point and pin down any infantry inside. Works both ways though, I've found its great to spawn on a friendly tank in this position, get out and use it as cover, and then once you've taken out a few, run in to flank defenders whilst their attention is focussed on the tank. 

Also only found out today that when you are in the upper gunner position of a tank, you can actually duck down into the hatch using the crouch button. You can still fire too - though be warned part of your body is still visible. If only I'd known sooner as I usually am too scared to go in the top turret as its usually a death sentence.

• Upvote 3

I don’t think Rush is there yet. I loaded it up the other night and... no Rush. Darn. All the previews said Rush was in... maybe I read wrong/didn’t click the right menu. I was tired so... 

Fighting tanks is so much fun. it's like an end of level boss or a minigame. 

Here, I was done for after missing my first rocket, but then the tank makes two unforced errors. If you listen to the sound you'll hear the gunner overheat his .30 cal, then the driver panics and smokes out, giving me a screen for the flank. 

Battlefield is so amazing

• Upvote 8

On 18/01/2019 at 23:42, Alan Stock said:

Yep as Assault if you want to be as anti-tank as possible always resupply at one of the big ammo crates when you spawn to get an extra rocket. And always keep an eye out for crates or ones that you can build so you can refill your rockets as you never know when a tank's going to roll in. 

Where tanks get real scary in this game is when they sit back from a point where all of the cover has been destroyed. It's hard to land rockets at longer ranges and generally you'll be hitting their front armour assuming there is no cover around to flank the tank. Meanwhile the tank can just bombard the crap out of the point and pin down any infantry inside. Works both ways though, I've found its great to spawn on a friendly tank in this position, get out and use it as cover, and then once you've taken out a few, run in to flank defenders whilst their attention is focussed on the tank. 

Also only found out today that when you are in the upper gunner position of a tank, you can actually duck down into the hatch using the crouch button. You can still fire too - though be warned part of your body is still visible. If only I'd known sooner as I usually am too scared to go in the top turret as its usually a death sentence.

I got shot in the head while crouched down in the turret last night. Does shit all really, the foward hatch gunner positions are actually far better. :(

Is the multiplayer menu broken for anyone else now? I click on play, and then multiplayer, and I get a screen with just text saying squad conquest, grand operations and conquest, and that’s it. No kind of graphics in the panels, and no options for search or anything like that?

I do think the visibility is an odd choice. I tried out the sniper's spotting pistol thing today in a tight battle and it seemed to be *really* effective in swinging the capture of that library point (where everyone hunkers down in corners). Even in (more visible) BF4 putting a MAV up and spotting could turn the tide of a battle so it seems even more the case when it's like this. I'm curious to see if they change spotting or visilibity because Dice seem concerned about newer/less good players bouncing off it and they both contribute to that.

15 hours ago, FishyFish said:

Interesting JackFrags video about player visibility.

Good video.

I'm in the camp that really likes that you can get stealthy. I'm using it to my advantage a lot. Laying still when surrounded is a pretty new strat for FPS's, and one I'm enjoying a lot.

Went in for my first game of this on my new PC (First game of V ever). I really enjoyed myself. As usual I suck. I tend to get better over time but only to a certain point. I like to pick medic in BFV games so I can be useful and only got 2 kills but they felt so good :)

Playing on 1440p with everything on high (Including dxr) gives me a nice solid 60. Lovely sound design as usual and I can't get enough of a horde of soldiers backed by a tank smashing straight through a farmhouse :)

I did a quick bipod test to show just how completely useless they are on LMG's / MMG's post patch - just opening fire without burst-firing ot trying to control the recoil. Apart from slightly more horizontal recoil, there seems to be no difference in vertical recoil between lying prone with the bipod deployed, or just crouching. I tried the same thing in a couple of places and also deployed on some sandbags, with the same effect. Now it's possible that I was unlucky in all the dployments and I was getting the undeployed bipod glitch every time, but I'm doubtful.

Bipoded guns should have amazing accuracy - it's the benefit of putting yourself in a vulnerable position that's easily taken out by snipers or other people out of your field of fire. At present, there is little value in using a bipod as a support player.

11 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

I did a quick bipod test to show just how completely useless they are on LMG's / MMG's post patch - just opening fire without burst-firing ot trying to control the recoil. Apart from slightly more horizontal recoil, there seems to be no difference in vertical recoil between lying prone with the bipod deployed, or just crouching. I tried the same thing in a couple of places and also deployed on some sandbags, with the same effect. Now it's possible that I was unlucky in all the dployments and I was getting the undeployed bipod glitch every time, but I'm doubtful.

Bipoded guns should have amazing accuracy - it's the benefit of putting yourself in a vulnerable position that's easily taken out by snipers or other people out of your field of fire. At present, there is little value in using a bipod as a support player.

That is shocking. Must be a bug. 

Played BF1 the other night and boy does suppression add so much to the game.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, kerraig UK said:

That is shocking. Must be a bug. 

Played BF1 the other night and boy does suppression add so much to the game.

It was in the patch notes, so unless they've fscked it up, it looks intentional - bipods are no longer inconsistent, they're now just consistently terrible. So, not accuracy, no supression, and - in the case of the MMGs, no scoped sights for longer ranges (not that you'd hit anything anyway).

• Reduced the vertical recoil reduction when crouching to 25% from 30% and when prone to 40% (previously 50%).
  • The vertical recoil reduction when crouching or prone no longer stacks with the reduction from using a bipod. This was inadvertently making bipods inconsistent, making fire patterns with bipods difficult to learn since they were different in each stance. Stance changes reduced recoil too much, especially when combined with a bipod, which virtually removed all handling difference when prone. This affects MMGs when prone most noticeably.

This seems like cheating to me! (lowering gfx options on PC to super ultra low, so all the bushes and smoke and cover doesn't render)

3 minutes ago, pulsemyne said:

I was just about to post the very same thing. It is cheating no question about it.

Yeah. It's completely different from just using low detail settings for a boost like a lot of people do. It's clearly designed as a way to exploit the gameplay.

Me personally I don't even like playing at lower detail never mind this hot mess. A big part for me is feeling immersed in the simulation. Easy with Dice games at high detail with headphones on :)

• Upvote 1

And assignment tracking still isn’t working. I get to 3/4 explosive kills, get another one and I’m back to 1/4. How can they get something so simple wrong?