kerraig UK

Battlefield V

42 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

No, it’s why it’s the most popular game on the planetary the moment, it think people underestimate the building aspect and the fun of Fortnite vs the janky mess sweaty long drawn out hideathon that’s PUBG

They dont.

I know you really love the combat - but loads of people who play accurate low TTK serious shooters struggle with Fortnite - because it’s rules are totally different, good aiming won’t win a battle, and shotguns are OP as hell.

The endgame is always people manic building and pogoing around. It’s maybe fun in it’s own right, but that isn’t what shooter fans want - and currently they have no alternative BR games on PS4.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

I am not a betting man in any way, shape or form, but I will happily make a bet with you about this. It'll be the easiest money I've ever made.

It’d need to be something fun rather than cash tho. 

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

I know you really love the combat - but loads of people who play accurate low TTK serious shooters struggle with Fortnite - because it’s rules are totally different, good aiming won’t win a battle, and shotguns are OP as hell.

The endgame is always people manic building and pogoing around. It’s maybe fun in it’s own right, but that isn’t what shooter fans want - and currently they have no alternative BR games on PS4.

Good aiming always wins a battle if all other things are equal, shotguns in this are no more over powered than in Siege and head glitching is as much of an advantage in that as building is in this!

I would still like a more serious BR game to play alongside it so would be good to get one on PS4

3 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

No, it’s why it’s the most popular game on the planetary the moment, it think people underestimate the building aspect and the fun of Fortnite vs the janky mess sweaty long drawn out hideathon that’s PUBG

The tension in the PUBG end game is unbearably brilliant. Fortnite just doesn’t compare in that regard. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

Hey, some people like sweaty.

Ohh I agree, I dont get the people who are either one or the other as they are so different they don’t compete so room for both - one of them is a hot mess and that’s an issue and added to not being on the more popular console you can understand why it’s falling behind. 

I also like COD and Battlefield :o 

1 hour ago, Black Cat Supremacist said:

The tension in the PUBG end game is unbearably brilliant. Fortnite just doesn’t compare in that regard. 

Again I agree, it’s the 30 mins of sneaking that’s dull - Fortnite is 10 mins of all action inc end game where PUBG builds up the tension for the end game sweat, neither is right/wrong or better as they serve different markets and that’s all good!

14 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Again I agree, it’s the 30 mins of sneaking that’s dull...

That's honestly my favourite part of PUBG :(

Lying prone, watching people in the distance, waiting for someone to come close enough to pounce...

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Simmy said:

That's honestly my favourite part of PUBG :(

Lying prone, watching people in the distance, waiting for someone to come close enough to pounce...

I  couldnt think of anything worse!! I like to run to danger, gets me in trouble all the time but I have fun regardless, I struggle to stay in one place even when sniping and have always enjoyed killing ‘campers’ up close in fun ways so can prolly see why I have less time for PUBG than Fortnite, I do hope if there is one in BF it does still have some fun elements and doesn’t follow the hide and hide formula!

17 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

I  couldnt think of anything worse!! I like to run to danger, gets me in trouble all the time but I have fun regardless, I struggle to stay in one place even when sniping and have always enjoyed killing ‘campers’ up close in fun ways so can prolly see why I have less time for PUBG than Fortnite, I do hope if there is one in BF it does still have some fun elements and doesn’t follow the hide and hide formula!

This is why a large scale Siege style game would be incredible. All those gadgets and destruction, plus prone and leaning. It’d be glorious.

• Upvote 1

Now rumoured to be Bad Company 3

And apparently a Youtuber influencer who leaked the setting for BF1 is also saying it'll be BC3 but that "he seems to be under the impression that DICE LA’s Bad Company 3 and DICE Stockholm’s Battlefield WW2 aren’t one and the same". 

Isn’t that rumour old? I’m sure I had read similar a while back that DICE are doing WW2 and that’s the game out this year. DICE LA are working on BC3, which is smaller in scale and it would be out possibly next year. 

I’m really not too fussed about BC3 as I want the main series entries supported for 2 years, plus Hardline wasn’t great.

For me BC2 was one of the greatest games of all time.  I really miss completely totalling a map.  The sneaky C4 and bringing the house down on someone, the destruction in BF3/4/1 was never the same.

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, DonRumsfeld said:

For me BC2 was one of the greatest games of all time.  I really miss completely totalling a map.  The sneaky C4 and bringing the house down on someone, the destruction in BF3/4/1 was never the same.

BC2 was the first console shooter with destruction and an attack/defend style. It also had excellent maps.

It was also unbalanced as fuck and really limited. Do you not remember the attack chopper circle strafe that was indefensible? I think I went over 150-0 once on that jungle river map. 

Memories are limited. Bf3, Bf4 then Bf1 have just increasingly refined the former and each iteration has been better than the last. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

@kerraig UK totally agree with the balance, but if you were in a good squad with comms you were very unlikely to end up on the losing side.  I just kinda miss the total destruction, where you ended up fighting over a pile of rubble in White Pass, Laguna Alta's barn (and still one of my favourite conquest maps), the rush to get out of a building that was about to come down. 3,4 and 1 are all great but lost some of the absolute chaos of BC2.  

As you've said, BC2 had brilliant maps.  I don't think they've ever topped Arica Harbour for a Rush map.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, DonRumsfeld said:

@kerraig UK totally agree with the balance, but if you were in a good squad with comms you were very unlikely to end up on the losing side.  I just kinda miss the total destruction, where you ended up fighting over a pile of rubble in White Pass, Laguna Alta's barn (and still one of my favourite conquest maps), the rush to get out of a building that was about to come down. 3,4 and 1 are all great but lost some of the absolute chaos of BC2.  

As you've said, BC2 had brilliant maps.  I don't think they've ever topped Arica Harbour for a Rush map.

Don;t disagree with you there about the whole "shit, buildings coming down, ruuuun". Exploding parked cars too.

But then BF3 had the whole rubble drop thing where you could drop a wall on people on Grand Bazaar or Seine Crossing. BF1 has a few maps that can be totally flattened and BF4 was just gadget mad. 

Each game really has its own something.

• Upvote 2

On 19/04/2018 at 11:08, grindmouse said:

It’d need to be something fun rather than cash tho. 

On 19/04/2018 at 12:24, Andy_Why said:

Good call! I'll have a think :)

Loser gives the winner a rimjob

On 04/05/2018 at 00:22, kerraig UK said:

BC2 was the first console shooter with destruction and an attack/defend style. It also had excellent maps.

It was also unbalanced as fuck and really limited. Do you not remember the attack chopper circle strafe that was indefensible? I think I went over 150-0 once on that jungle river map. 

Memories are limited. Bf3, Bf4 then Bf1 have just increasingly refined the former and each iteration has been better than the last. 

No helicopters in BF1 means I've not played it much at all.   I loved dicking about in the heli's in 4. 

2 minutes ago, rafaqat said:

No helicopters in BF1 means I've not played it much at all.   I loved dicking about in the heli's in 4. 

Same, BF1 is clearly a great game but it’s never grabbed me like BF4 due to lack of helicopters and gadgets - dicking about (herp and derp as we call it) is half the fun!

• Upvote 2

On 19/04/2018 at 08:24, Pob said:

There is still so much scope for variants on the basic BR formula - taking what players love about it (the tension, the roulette element, the gradual constriction, the level playing field) and introducing twists on it. Introducing some PVE, like The Division’s Survival mode, could be a winner as it makes it more appealing to people who can’t cut it against other players. Any of the big players could pull that off. 

Ultimately it’s just a mode, like TDM or CTF. 

Absolutely.  I really enjoy PUBG but it really is only scratching the surface of the potential genre.  Just playing PUBG on consoles I can see a couple of tweaks that would change the way it plays (namely, a faster paced circle option and a 'losers circle' where you get dumped in after being killed with all your equipment and ammo but in a much reduced starting play area) which would add an interesting spice to proceedings. 

I see PUBG as proof of concept but I can easily see it being surpassed quite soon by a bigger publisher.  As long as you have the player base then there are loads of possibilities with the BR genre. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

You can still dick about in bf1. Yesterday I was in my leather trench raider outfit with baton, riding in a sidecar while kriess drove us about. S&M delivery.

But can you stick c4 on to the bike and drive it into a pesky AA!?

2 hours ago, kerraig UK said:

You can still dick about in bf1. Yesterday I was in my leather trench raider outfit with baton, riding in a sidecar while kriess drove us about. S&M delivery.

What about in Battlefield?

The messing about and stuff was fun in BF4 and if I fancy it I can still jump back in and find plenty of games. BF1 is utterly superb at what it does though. Between me and @kerraig UK we’ve played it for over 46 days. 8-) 

To say I’m excited for V is... I’ve no idea how to describe it. I am planning on buying a TV mainly for it.

I can't describe what I didn't like about BF1, but I tried and tried and just don't get on with it.

Loved Battlefield 4 though. BF2 is still the best game in the series so far, though. The mods released for that game are just sublime.

6 hours ago, Simmy said:

I can't describe what I didn't like about BF1, but I tried and tried and just don't get on with it.

Loved Battlefield 4 though. BF2 is still the best game in the series so far, though. The mods released for that game are just sublime.

In my opinion BF4 and BF1 are equal leaders, for very different reasons. I think BF2 is inferior in almost every single way, but only due to dating. I worshipped it at the time.

BF1 has furthered the FPS in such intricately immutably sublime ways that it is almost arthouse.

• Upvote 1