kerraig UK

Battlefield V

5 hours ago, Isaac said:

Why don't you go back to posting screenshots of multiplayer scoreboards in the steam thread mate?

You mean like the rest of the forum is doing? Top bants. My dad could beat up your dad, etc etc. 

Also you don't have to @ someone when you quote their posts.

• Empathy 1

55 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Will there ever be modding again for a battlefield game? I miss project reality, Desert Combat etc etc. Series just hasn't been the same without stuff like that.

It took me like 6 months to master the helicopter flight controls in desert combat. Utterly blew my mind that mod. Think in the long run dumbing down the controls was a good idea for what turned into bf2. 

I bring you exclusive* leaks and rumours:

Battlefield V battle royale prototype in the works at DICE

EA’s DICE studio is testing a battle royale mode for Battlefield V that features similar gameplay to megahits like Fortnite and PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds, according to someone with knowledge of the studio who asked to remain anonymous. In those last player-standing shooters, 100 players drop onto a map and fight until only one person or team is left standing, and that game type has taken over the industry.

Battlefield V team loves that Call of Duty may ditch its campaign

The Battlefield team at developer DICE is ecstatic today, according to a source familiar with the studio. That’s because Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 may not have a single-player campaign when it ships in October, according to Polygon and multiple corroborating reports on Activsion’s biggest series. Instead, Black Ops developer Treyarch is focusing on the military shooter’s competitive multiplayer and cooperative zombies mode, which are both megapopular with Call of Duty’s millions of players.

If Black Ops 4 launches without a campaign, the team at DICE is happy because it thinks it may have an advantage over its rival when it launches the next Battlefield. EA has already announced that it will release a Battlefield sequel this year, and in March, I reported Battlefield V (as EA is calling it) will return to World War II. In Battlefield V, DICE is planning to continue the vignette-style storytelling that it started in the campaign for Battlefield 1, and that offering could now attract people who played Call of Duty for its bombastic action-movie-like stories.

E3 2018: everything was battle royale.

*not exclusive

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

E3 2018: everything was battle royale.

Yup, that *has* to be the way things are going. I expect GR Wildlands BR at least from Ubisoft and maybe a twist: Stealth Royale in the form of Assassin's Creed BR. A hundred players jump off a really big tower at the start of each game.

Wouldn't surprise me if Activision served up a BR completely separate from the new token CoD title of this year. Maybe even something different from the CoD franchise altogether. I would have said Tony Hawk: Skate Royale, a hundred players doing ollies all the way down from a plane. But they lost that license, so maybe as Destiny DLC/expansion/spin-off? Gotta do *something* to get your player base back!

2K with with either RDR Cowboy Royale or GTA Royale (*not GTA6) obviously.

Sony will be all like"we already have ours, way ahead of all you bitches":

71glyenO-CL._SX342_.jpg.94b70b2acc7bf259de85a4d143ff141d.jpg

But yeah of all the existing franchises Battlefield is the most obvious and fitting for BR obviously. As someone with zero interest in the genre, this is gonna potentially be a very annoying/boring E3.

Spoiler

Splatoon Battle Royale

Spoiler

Made by the Koei Dynasty Warriors dev team still using dat trusty PS2 engine

Spoiler

Which means it will still manage to look less ugly than PUBG

• Upvote 2

I can’t see that grafting this onto an existing game is going to work, Ghost Recon probably isn’t designed to support that many players. Destiny definitely isn’t, and never will be given their absolute inability to push out even basic updates even with massive engine changes. I wonder if Red Dead was pushed back to make changes to accommodate this.

Battlefield already supports 64 players, but they’ve tested it with 128 and frostbite can support up to 256. It’s a natural fit. But I can’t see many other existing games being able to suddenly accommodate it. I think we’re much more likely to see new BR entries into existing franchises.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

People acting like Battle Royale is this stale, over-abundant game mode

No, people are expecting every single publisher to jump in and join the hunt for that really successful BR money - at which point it *will* become a stale, over-abundant genre/mode. I don't think anyone has said that it already is. I would be shocked - shocked, I tells ya! - if most of the big publishers don't reveal their own entry into the world of BR this E3. Usually when something is so successful, the usual suspects follow suit without thinking twice.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

No, people are expecting every single publisher to jump in and join the hunt for that really successful BR money - at which point it *will* become a stale, over-abundant genre/mode. I don't think anyone has said that it already is. I would be shocked - shocked, I tells ya! - if most of the big publishers don't reveal their own entry into the world of BR this E3. Usually when something is so successful, the usual suspects follow suit without thinking twice.

And the exciting thing is one of those games will end up being THE Battle Royale game in a way FN and PUBG aren’t quite.

It will be good for gamers.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

And the exciting thing is one of those games will end up being THE Battle Royale game in a way FN and PUBG aren’t quite.

It will be good for gamers.

Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fortnite is already THAT game though. That PUBG and Fortnite are the respective DOTA2 and League of Legends of their genre, established early and nobody else gets a real look in (note that I'm not really familiar with the MOBA genre so maybe I'm completely fucking up this comparison).

I do agree there's room for massive improvements. As you say, the big two are Early Access games and one of them, from what I'm seeing, is creaky looking as fuck. A polished, more accessible, and more spectacular entry from a big publisher with both a sufficiently big budget and big team behind it could leap frog the current BR Two. And it would be good for gamers as you say, better games = win. Battlefield seems like the obvious candidate for this 

However, what I'm being preemptively cynical about is that I expect the genre to become overly saturated at the same time as its definitive, quality entry steps into the battlefield as it were. I'm expecting a whole mess of BR-BR-BR games at E3, Fortnite seems way too big for that not to happen. While you will get your wish of a polished, definitive BR game, it will be revealed alongside a huge pile of wannabe hopefuls that may dominate the majority of E3.

Or maybe not, I'm just speculating :)

If I had to bet a bollock (I won't, but that's how you bet around these parts) I would put that bollock on either RDR2 (or maybe a separate GTA Online spin-off game) or Battlefield coming in and taking the AAA Battle Royale crown. Because Battlefield is of course the most perfect fit [/somehow ended up back on-topic]

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fortnite is already THAT game though. That PUBG and Fortnite are the respective DOTA2 and League of Legends of their genre, established early and nobody else gets a real look in (note that I'm not really familiar with the MOBA genre so maybe I'm completely fucking up this comparison).

I do agree there's room for massive improvements. As you say, the big two are Early Access games and one of them, from what I'm seeing, is creaky looking as fuck. A polished, more accessible, and more spectacular entry from a big publisher with both a sufficiently big budget and big team behind it could leap frog the current BR Two. And it would be good for gamers as you say, better games = win. Battlefield seems like the obvious candidate for this 

However, what I'm being preemptively cynical about is that I expect the genre to become overly saturated at the same time as its definitive, quality entry steps into the battlefield as it were. I'm expecting a whole mess of BR-BR-BR games at E3, Fortnite seems way too big for that not to happen. While you will get your wish of a polished, definitive BR game, it will be revealed alongside a huge pile of wannabe hopefuls that may dominate the majority of E3.

Or maybe not, I'm just speculating :)

If I had to bet a bollock (I won't, but that's how you bet around these parts) I would put that bollock on either RDR2 (or maybe a separate GTA Online spin-off game) or Battlefield coming in and taking the AAA Battle Royale crown. Because Battlefield is of course the most perfect fit [/somehow ended up back on-topic]

The building and combat are a barrier for Fortnite. Some people will never like building and the combat feels random and imprecise.

Battlefield also has less satisfying gunplay compared to COD or Siege - but I agree it’s the most suited to the gamemode already.

18 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Battlefield also has less satisfying gunplay compared to COD or Siege - but I agree it’s the most suited to the gamemode already.

:lol: 

• Upvote 1

Battlefield has amazing gunplay, can’t really compare it to twitch killing in R6 or the much faster ttk in COD games - they are all so different you can play them all not need to chose one as the ‘best’

BR in BF5 is interesting, PUBG should be worried given the state of the game and lack of PS4 option - Fortnite is already THE BR game and not much chance of them being caught but there is space for a more realistic version so that market has to be wide open unless PUBG suddenly drop a PS4 version and get it running vastly better on console.

Still hoping this isn’t WW2 based...

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

A ton of people play Fortnite because it's free and the only BR game on consoles that works well, but hate the building.

I hate the building in Fortnite but play it in spite of it, because my friends do. If I could get a game similar to Fortnite without any of the building bullshit, and with vehicles, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

• Upvote 1

It's funny that after PUBG coming from nowhere to be the biggest game steam has ever seen, and then Fortnite steaming ahead of that, despite people (myself included) thinking there was no way it could catch up, there's still doubt that something could overtake Fortnite. RDR2 could easily do that. PUBG runs like shit on consoles and takes a pretty decent PC to even work. Fortnite is cartoony, has some systems that over overly simplistic and contains a bizarre building system that makes it feel barely anything like a traditional shooting game. I also feel like it's pretty obvious it was stitched together from multiple ideas and not planned as a BR game. There's plenty of room for something to come in and be the COD of BR games.

How would you explain cowboys on horses parachuting down from a plane though?

Spoiler

If it actually has cowboys and horses that parachute down from a plane it will easily overtake Fortnite!

• Upvote 1

There is still so much scope for variants on the basic BR formula - taking what players love about it (the tension, the roulette element, the gradual constriction, the level playing field) and introducing twists on it. Introducing some PVE, like The Division’s Survival mode, could be a winner as it makes it more appealing to people who can’t cut it against other players. Any of the big players could pull that off. 

Ultimately it’s just a mode, like TDM or CTF. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

How would you explain cowboys on horses parachuting down from a plane though?

Hide contents

If it actually has cowboys and horses that parachute down from a plane it will easily overtake Fortnite!

I’ve been wondering this. I thought maybe a train, but another idea would be to go all in on the hunger games inspiration and have people start in the middle and work their way out, or do something like Naruto’s forest of death and have everyone start round the edge and aim for the centre. 

11 minutes ago, Broker said:

I’ve been wondering this. I thought maybe a train, but another idea would be to go all in on the hunger games inspiration and have people start in the middle and work their way out, or do something like Naruto’s forest of death and have everyone start round the edge and aim for the centre. 

If Rockstar do decide to join the BR craze, I trust them to do something different and better than what we've seen so far. And something that suits the RDR setting, something along the lines of what you're suggesting but probably even better than that. I think by now they've gathered a crazy amount of experience doing big online shiznit thanks to GTA Online and they have the resources to implement whatever ideas they come up with. Maybe the biggest question if they end up going against Battlefield BR, is whether the realistic modern military setting of BF will appeal to a wider audience than the 'old fashioned' ye olde Wild West setting. And of course there's the matter of available weapons and vehicles in either setting. It will be interesting to see what Rockstar manages to do with an RDR BR concept.

PUBG is ultimately going to be an also-ran consigned to the history books. It’s exclusivity was one issue, but the fatal one is that the dev team couldn’t polish it up fast enough against flimsiest of competition. This time next year I predict PUBG will be heading the way of Lawbreakers.

Fortnite is a great game in it’s own right and will still be around because it does something different... but a lot of people, esp on PS4, are only playing it until a more realistic, polished, twitch-shooter Battle Royale becomes available.

I don’t expect much from RDR2 BR based on the jankiness of GTAV Online and because of the setting. And The Division was a frustrating bullet sponge shooter. 

So I’ll be very interested to see how COD’s mode will stack up against Battlefield’s. I imagine it will heavily influence their sales this year. 

• Downvote 2

36 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

PUBG is ultimately going to be an also-ran consigned to the history books. It’s exclusivity was one issue, but the fatal one is that the dev team couldn’t polish it up fast enough against flimsiest of competition. This time next year I predict PUBG will be heading the way of Lawbreakers.

:lol:

pnum.png.65aac322463d9deccdbec13c49199dff.png

Yeah I'm sure that game is suddenly dipping into single digit player numbers any second now.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, grindmouse said:

The building and combat are a barrier for Fortnite. Some people will never like building and the combat feels random and imprecise.

Wouldn't it be pretty easy for them just to do a more pure "no building" mode?

None of these problems that people are listing which will lead to the current titles being swept away for **insert your favourite franchise** feel like things that couldn't be addressed.

5 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

But the they’d also need to fix the combat.

I suspect that the vast majority of players are perfectly happy with the combat. Both in Fortnite and in Battlefield vis-a-vis CoD and the like. You may have a point, but only in a 'connoisseur' kind of way - you're arguing for haute cuisine while 90% of the visitors are fine with a generous helping of decent junk food. ie, the quality of the combat won't be a factor because it's good enough for most, if not for you.

• Upvote 1

I like the bit where he wants them to remove the building from Fortnite, y'know the USP which played a not inconsiderable role in driving its bonkers player numbers,

37 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Wouldn't it be pretty easy for them just to do a more pure "no building" mode?

None of these problems that people are listing which will lead to the current titles being swept away for **insert your favourite franchise** feel like things that couldn't be addressed.

No, it’s why it’s the most popular game on the planetary the moment, it think people underestimate the building aspect and the fun of Fortnite vs the janky mess sweaty long drawn out hideathon that’s PUBG

21 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

But the they’d also need to fix the combat.

They dont.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

I am not a betting man in any way, shape or form, but I will happily make a bet with you about this. It'll be the easiest money I've ever made.

• Upvote 2