The Chase - PASS! Best (or worst) player ever?

Did anyone see The Chase last night? 

It's had and continues to have, some of the dimmest contenstants to ever appear on quiz shows, but Charan from Wolverhampton was on it last night and I'm not sure if she was brilliant or hopeless.

Now she was quite witty throughout the program, giving Bradley as good as she got and being a bit cheeky with it but then this happened in her cashbuilder round:

https://youtu.be/8KQXHQaN6Hw

(sorry, not sure how to embed YT clips)

Now I'm not sure if she was genuinely hopeless or whether she was just taking the piss.

Did nobody else see this? (I know it's on at the same time as Pointless, so many people may have been watching that instead).

I saw this. I assumed her idea was to pass as soon as it sounded like it was a topic she didn't know about to avoid wasting time and be able to answer more questions that she did know. I think she got a bit carried away though, since she only actually answered one.

It was a bit uncomfortable to watch because It seemed like everyone was being a bit patronising to her just because she was disabled. I think one of the other contestants actually said she did very well, even though she only answered one question.

Yeah I think the fella waiting his turn said something about how well she's done because the questions had been so hard, but that was bollocks because she cut them all off before anyone could know what the question was, apart from the one she did answer.

He was very patronising.

Oooh my pet guilty pleasure! There's so much shit on tv that very often I end up watching this on Challenge during dinner. It's quite possibly the most unfair quiz programme I've ever seen. It boggles the mind that this is where we're at in the 21st century. Contestants trying to 'beat' professional quiz masters with the deck literally loaded against them x1,000,000 for usually no more than a couple of grand. And then 95% of the time failing. The chase questions are hilariously obtuse, usually ones which no 'average' person would ever commit to memory, unless of course they are the aforementioed professional quizzer. The contrast between this and Millionaire is likely some sort of comment on society today, something something about people desperate enough to win pennies* etc.

I still watch it because there's nothing on and likely out of a morbid fascination. Some thoughts on the game's mechanics.. The chase questions are so obtuse that 'sticking' with a middle offer is never the 'safe' choice. The chaser being allowed to offer minus amounts to stop people getting back is just awful match fixing. For goodness sake, give the poor bastards a chance. An extra point for each contestant through, OOOOH!! That'll help when.. the contestants having to beat the chaser at the end, f#ck me. How many seconds are wasted by having to wait to have their name called out? A good 15-20 I'd guess. Verses the chasers being able to interupt and answer immediately. Like they need that advantage anyway. Madness.

*A couple of grand would be a huge amount to me, but let's get a little perspective. Back in the day, if you walked away from Millionaire with less than 16k, you'd of thought you'd screwed up.

The episode where they asked the professional quiz shaman "which restaurant chain sells the big Mac" in the final round cemented this as being a load of unfair bollocks for me. When you start a quiz show with the expectation that the contestants aren't going to win anything what's the point?

You often get people passing on questions with a limited number of options where they might as well have a random guess, (“On which continent..” etc), which always seems daft, but I think with the sheer volume and speed of passes she has even surpassed the woman who opted for Pass on an “In which world war..?” question instead of having a go!

I once got halfway through an application form to go on the Chase. My wife persuaded my to do it, I think because she got sick of me yelling answers out to the thick fuckers that get on it every day. I'd be mortified if I'd ended up on there.

I reckon I'd do ok on it though, but Tipping Point is probably easier to win as long as you make it to the final.

It's become very apparent to me over my years of watching shit quiz shows that the UK general public are either extremely badly educated or just extremely plain fucking thick. The level of stupidity on daily display is astounding.

People do win on The Chase all the time! One I remember well was a few years ago when the first three all got knocked out, then the last guy made £6000 in the cashbuilder , then the chaser offered him £60,000 for taking a step back, and he won!!!

Most people on the show lack the variety of general knowledge needed, and most of the questions about popular culture seem best suited to people around my age (say 35-45) where you can remember the TV shows or watched repeats or you can make an educated guess on the stuff you don't know i.e questions with singer from Barbados is usually Rhianna, Canadian rapper is often Drake.

The chase questions are hilariously obtuse, usually ones which no 'average' person would ever commit to memory

See, I've always said that's the trick. Having to memorise stuff is bollocks and not usually practical (and this applies to school exams), and isnt really a measure of intelligence.

For things like this I reckon you're actually better off if you can apply deductive reasoning to make educated guesses at answers based on what you do know. 

But yes, that contestant was a total shitshow.

Was she trying to get a huge offer from the Chaser for taking a step closer? The Chaser often makes a bigger offer if (s)he thinks the contestant is a bit dim. I've always wanted to see someone do deliberately badly, then take a big offer and win. I take it from your response that it didn't happen in this case?