Female-fronted alt/indie rock

dug

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 26/05/2022 at 17:17, Exidor said:

Have we had Nobro yet? I've had this rattling round my head for a few days now.

This is so good.  I've been listening on repeat for a while now.  Thanks for the link.

Also listening to a lot of The Buoys.  They should probably be in the Aussie music thread as well, if they're not already.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Darren said:

It came out a few weeks ago now, but I've been listening to Lauren Hibberd's debut album Garageband Superstar pretty much constantly ever since. Album of the year for me so far.

She's good. Reminds me of a heavier version of The Hussies. 

7 hours ago, Darren said:

It came out a few weeks ago now, but I've been listening to Lauren Hibberd's debut album Garageband Superstar pretty much constantly ever since. Album of the year for me so far.

Agreed it’s bloody good.

She should have put How am I still Alive on the album though as it’s probably her best track.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, listened to it this afternoon and loved it. My first impression is that it’s a really nice blend of the first album’s very direct guitar driven sound and the second’s more ethereal synthy feel, like they’ve worked out how to marry the two together properly. Great stuff.

Am currently spending most of the afternoon listening to Mass Of The Fermenting Dregs - wierd name, they're japanese or korean or something so perhaps the translation loses something - after a random spotify detour led me there.

Struggling a bit for a direct comparison, but the general tone/mood and guitar structure for some tracks reminds me a lot of mid-late 90s early 2000s stuff like My Vitriol, Mansun, maybe Elastica in parts, maybe a bit Explosions In The Sky on occasion, others are a bit more garage-y. There's probably a more accurate description I'm glossing over, but am enjoying nonetheless.

The new Alvvays album is, by a country mile, my favourite album this year so far. They really know how to craft a song, and every single one of them shines on here. They know how to end a song too, they never outstay their welcome and there are interesting chord changes and stuff. And the production is really full and warm.

Been a great year all round for female indie bands or singers. And Molly Rankins voice is incredible on this record, she absolutes soars at times, it’s just so nice to listen to. 

I had mentioned it in the best music thread but thought it deserves to be here too :)

On 26/05/2022 at 17:48, Vespa Alex said:

Spotify recently introduced me to Millie Manders & The Shut Up who are very good, and just starting a tour. 

This is great and has led to my checking out other tracks from them and ending up with this stuck in my head:

• 2 months later...

Right I'm not known to be excitable when I find a new artist I like (or wait no the other thing)

But this girl is good. (Paging @wevI think you might appreciate this)

Phoebe AXA (stylised Triangle Cross Triangle - someone was raised on PlayStation).  

Her whole second EP is great but this early Pale Waves aping track is probably the highlight

• 1 month later...

Well it appears I have now trained the Amazon Music algorithm to the stuff I like as it recommended this pair to me and they are both great.

First up Jenna Doe - apparently she's big on Tic Tok but I'm in my mid 40s and never got past Facebook and Twitter as far as social media goes - she's signed to Electra in any event and from the sound of these tracks someone is throwing money at her as this is not bedsit pop

No video for her most recent single/EP  (Shock Value) (is it really an EP if you just add all your previous singles to the record everytime you release one?) which is a shame as I think its my favourite track.  Its on Amazon/Apple/Spotify in any event.

And secondly Carr - apparently her new single is signed to the label of someone well known - no clue but its lovely gritty pop rock

But both her previous Eps are well worth a listen