Female-fronted alt/indie rock

dug

It's cool that you like, I'm not even saying I don't like it, its just not grabbed me the way that first album did, I did add a couple of songs straight to my Starred list on Spotify (or whatever its called) (She's My Religion and Easy were already on there, I also added Tomorrow and You Don't Own Me) but it's just not had me going straight back to it like when I first heard My Mind Makes Noises.

• 2 months later...

The parent album is a little disappointing given her song writing credentials and wonderfully husky lispy vocals but this song is just a real banger...love the loopy time signatures and the synthy crunch to the guitars from the second verse onwards is just fabulous. Slightly terrifying lyric mind

• 1 month later...

I posted Well Hung Heart earlier in the thread but their side project Beaux Gris Gris is basically Louisiana blues.  They are coming over to Europe in September.

I've been a big follower of Rolo Tomassi for over 10 years since hearing this

I even turned up for one of their gigs on the promotion tour for it, but found out they cancelled due to illness.

It was 10 years or so later they finally returned to that venue (Tunbridge Wells Forum) and they blew my socks off. Literally one of the best gigs I've been to in recent times. My pic below. I'd go and see them again in a heartbeat

spacer.png

Their recent material is less prog - due to line up changes

My housemate years ago put out one of their first releases on her tape label. They seemed nice but I never paid them much attention since.

I'm kinda into that last video though. Which record is their best?

Well damn, it looks like they've done 3 albums since I last listened to them. That'll be something to catch up on tomorrow. 

This is Slowcoaches. Released an album of non-stop punk bangers and a couple of singles and then went on hiatus about 4 years ago. I don't think they're coming back now tbh, which is a shame.

19 hours ago, Quest said:

My housemate years ago put out one of their first releases on her tape label. They seemed nice but I never paid them much attention since.

I'm kinda into that last video though. Which record is their best?

Probably "Grievances" - which is the start of the new sound they have now

• 4 weeks later...

So I keep feeling like I’m breaking the rules when I post in this thread, given I keep basically posting pure pop acts…

But if you ever wondered what Jagged Little Pill would sound like in 2021, the I suggest you check out former Disney Channel starlet Olivia Rodirgo.

She flits between ripping off Elvis Costello 

To beautiful lilting ballads but always with lyrical barbs that are pretty much knives; no idea who her former paramour was but she’s clearly not over him…

The record is a brutal take down of a toxic relationship and it flexes between Gabriel Abplen folk to Avril Lavigne but well it’s bloody great.

• 5 weeks later...

So the lovely Soccer Mommy has some new material out

Aside from loving the slight Animal Crossing vibe from the video apparently she handed over the track to her producer and asked him to ruin it.

Pretty sure he failed as the chorus rises above the distortion…love it in any event

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 07/06/2021 at 20:34, Exidor said:

Well damn, it looks like they've done 3 albums since I last listened to them. That'll be something to catch up on tomorrow. 

This is Slowcoaches. Released an album of non-stop punk bangers and a couple of singles and then went on hiatus about 4 years ago. I don't think they're coming back now tbh, which is a shame.

This hasnt dropped off my playlist all week. Great stuff.

On 11/08/2021 at 00:32, dreamylittledream said:

So the lovely Soccer Mommy has some new material out

Aside from loving the slight Animal Crossing vibe from the video apparently she handed over the track to her producer and asked him to ruin it.

Pretty sure he failed as the chorus rises above the distortion…love it in any event

This is awesome, and really reminded me of the amazing Sayonara Wild Hearts soundtrack in places.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/09/2021 at 14:01, Timmo said:

Not a fan of Chairlift's other songs (or her solo stuff) but this is brilliant

Agreed. I love this song. Can't remember where I first heard it, but back then I found a mate who shared the Chairlift album, and it did nothing for me. It's just this song. It gets bonus points for being one I can howl/yodel along to, but it's lovely enough without that...

On 13/10/2021 at 20:00, skadupuk said:

I got it in my head that those guys might be disappointing live, but then I found this:

Probably cliche to say this but getting serious Kathleen Hanna and Kim Deal style vibes from this :wub: 

Gotta love a groovy baseline and catchy chorus