rllmuk
dug

Female-fronted alt/indie rock

It’s a grower. I was underwhelmed at first, but it really grabbed me after a few listens. And hearing them play most of the album live sealed the deal.

Anyway, my next recommendation is Petrol Girls. I hadn’t even heard of them until today, but saw them live tonight and they were great. Kind of prog-punk, in that it’s basically punk but with lots of weird time signatures to confuse everyone trying to pogo.

• Upvote 1

I may have posted Jack Off Jill before, but that was before I got hold of their last album. Some cracking tracks on this. (I adore the first track "When I Am Queen"  just because it's the very best idea for a song ever.) But this is really very good:

• Upvote 1

On 17/01/2020 at 23:40, Darren said:

It’s a grower. I was underwhelmed at first, but it really grabbed me after a few listens. And hearing them play most of the album live sealed the deal.

Anyway, my next recommendation is Petrol Girls. I hadn’t even heard of them until today, but saw them live tonight and they were great. Kind of prog-punk, in that it’s basically punk but with lots of weird time signatures to confuse everyone trying to pogo.

Petrol Girls made it onto my top ten of 2019, they're fucking awesome, I'm gonna start teaching my girls Big Mouth

• Upvote 1

So in new female fronted indie music shizz news the much critically lauded but perhaps not yet massively commercially successful Soccer Mommy has a new album out.

And in even better news its really good.

I have to admit I didn't really feel Sophia Allison's debut despite the rave reviews from Pitchfork et al - a little too try hard perhaps, however this is something quite different ; a self described album of 'bops'; mid paced 90s guitar pop influenced by the likes of Natalie Imbruglia's Torn and Avril Lavigne's Complicated.

I'm not quite sure that's the right description myself, nothing on this record is as straight forward as the reference points cited and never nails a hook filled chorus in the same way; what we have instead is a lilting collection of mid tempo but achingly sad pop songs, that gradually become more infectious on repeated listens.  There's a lot of the 90s female fronted 4AD bands here along with a smattering of REM.

A couple of stand outs for me

Its taken a few listens but this has quickly become my favourite album of 2020 to date

• Upvote 4

I was coming in here to post Soccer Mommy actually. I did enjoy the debut album, but this definitely feels like a step up. 

• Upvote 1

I saw them late last year and they were absolutely brilliant. Wear comfy shoes, you will be jumping up and down!

• Upvote 1

I've just discovered LP. Bloody hell she's brilliant!

Why was I not informed before?!