rllmuk
dug

Female-fronted alt/indie rock

Saw these guys a few years back as Robin Davey is one part of the best British blues band of the last 20 years - The Hoax.  Anyway, they split, he moved to LA and formed Well Hung Heart.  Much more punky than the Hoax but you can still hear those blues hooks.

New single and the video features their good friend Noodles from the Offspring.

And I love this one.

• Upvote 2

I've not kept up to date with this thread, but popped in because I've just got around to the new Belly album. First impressions are very good, but I see it's been mentioned so I felt obliged to add something new instead (I've got a lot of listening to catch up on since I last visited this thread too - lots of cool-looking stuff been posted since).

Here's a favourite from many years ago - Snake River Conspiracy, with the delightful You and Your Friend (which I've just found out is a cover - they also do a fun cover of the Smiths' How Soon Is Now?).

And a friend recently pointed me at the new band featuring a couple of SRC - Mojave Phone Booth. I've not got round to listening to the album yet, but this track's a promising start:

• Upvote 1

I’m on my way to see Anavae who are both excellent and perfect for fans of this thread. I’m on my phone so won’t try to embed anything but look them up, they really are great.

Also Black Honey’s debut album came out today. I’ve not heard it yet but I’m looking forward to it, they’ve been brilliant every time I’ve seen them live.

Possibly debatable if they belong in here as despite the cosmetics they are basically a pop outfit - but then again so are Chvches ultimately and I love them.

Anyway this is a fabulous record-  basically imagine Friday I'm in Love era Cure with a side order of 1989 Taylor Swift intercut with the soundtrack from The Breakfast Club

I give you Pale Faces - My Mind Makes Noises

So yeah - basically the 1975 if they were a) were fronted by a pair of cute goths and b) actually good

• Upvote 1

On 28/09/2018 at 20:43, dreamylittledream said:

Possibly debatable if they belong in here as despite the cosmetics they are basically a pop outfit - but then again so are Chvches ultimately and I love them.

Anyway this is a fabulous record-  basically imagine Friday I'm in Love era Cure with a side order of 1989 Taylor Swift intercut with the soundtrack from The Breakfast Club

I give you Pale Faces - My Mind Makes Noises

So yeah - basically the 1975 if they were a) were fronted by a pair of cute goths and b) actually good

Came here to check if Pale Waves had been posted, glad they have as I absolutely love them. Eighteen, Television Romance and Red are all :wub:

Not a fan of 1975 at all, but this lot are awesome

Went to the Sirens Calling day festival last month which was a great showcase for smaller female fronted and all girl alternative bands. It was headed by Tess Parks who was great, Madonnatron was supposed to be there but pulled out a couple of days beforehand unfortunately.

They've changed the loop tape at work and now it's mostly awful slow dreary modern shite, which is not what I want at 4am in the morning. So I've started using my MP3 player, and one of the bands I've returned to is The Distillers. Proper punky rocky stuff to wake you up:

Here's another goody - from a while ago. From the album Pacer by The Amps (one of Kim Deal's side-projects) - the only album they made I believe, but well worth a listen:

• Upvote 1

Just popped in to mention Drugstore and their first album in case no one else had. The later stuff isn’t all that aside from the Thom Yorke collab single, but the first album is great. 

And a recent band, they’re all about 16-18 so just kids really and it tells at times but I like the full on ‘90s revival thing they’re doing so unapologetically. 

• Upvote 2

By sheer coincidence I’m just on my way home from seeing them in Nottingham. They were brilliant. Like a punky Throwing Muses with two Tanyas.

EB982CD0-1E2B-4FC4-9618-0D54FC16E9DC.thumb.jpeg.6cfaefcc61b37fb98451956c012fbc1b.jpeg

4 hours ago, Horribleman said:

Did noone mention Regina Spektor? My wife is a big fan and I think she's great.

She's absolutely awesome, but hardly rock of any kind?

No matter though, she's still awesome.

• Upvote 1

Pauline Murray & The Invisible Girls

Murray was previously in a band called Penetration that only really had one good song, but then she made an album with John Cooper Clarke's band, Martin Hannett produced and loads of the Manchester crew like Vini Reilly and Bernard Sumner turned up to jangle on guitars a bit or something. It's a weirdly forgotten record for which I have a real soft spot.

• Upvote 1

Also this second LP by Chakra, produced by Haruomi Hosono of YMO (credited as Chăofàn [fried rice] Hosono for some reason) is just a great example of really inventive, catchy Japanese post-punk/indie-rock/synth-pop whatever.

Myun Myun is a merciless earworm.

Been too afraid to listen to the record since 'Door' got stuck in my head a few months back. 

to another door

to another door

to another door

to another door

to another door

x infinity