dug

Female-fronted alt/indie rock

I've been listening to this sort of thing lately:

Anybody else into this sort of thing, and if so have any other recommendations?

• Upvote 3

A few older options here:

Always loved Belly, and this song still gives me goosebumps 25 years later:

Then there's Throwing Muses:

And Veruca Salt:

• Upvote 6

32 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Ooh I really like that Warpaint song, I'll have to check them out, thanks :)

Also, it reminded me of Howling Bells, who I need to reacquaint myself with:

• Upvote 2

Great recommendations thanks @MarkN Veruca Salt I'm already a fan of, but Throwing Muses I've never really listened to before despite being aware of them, and I'd never even heard of Belly. But they seem like they're right up my street based on those songs, so thanks.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, dug said:

Great recommendations thanks @MarkN Veruca Salt I'm already a fan of, but Throwing Muses I've never really listened to before despite being aware of them, and I'd never even heard of Belly. But they seem like they're right up my street based on those songs, so thanks.

Belly are perhaps my all time favourite band.  Tanya Donellys solo stuff (particularly her first solo record which is basically Belly's 3rd LP) is also worth checking out.

Donnelley is Kirstine Hersh's step sister and was in the original Throwing Muses lineup.  She then formed The Breeders with Kim Deal before finally forming Belly.

They've recently reformed too :)

I'm a sucker for female fronted indie stuff - in a sort of similar vein maybe Alex Winston, Liz Phair, The Breeders, Hole, The Dresden Dolls/Amanda Palmer, A Fine Frenzy, Heather Nova, Jabberbox, Julie Plug & Rilo Kiley 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, dug said:

Belly are very much a game of two halves - their first album "Star" is an Indie classic - it's just fantastic from first note to last. The second album went a fair bit more pop/rock. It's still very good, with some properly catchy songs, but it's a very different thing. As dreamylittledream said - Tanya Donelly's solo work is well worth checking out too.

Throwing Muses are magnificent, but perhaps a harder ask. I love all of it, but it helped coming at it from the most accessible albums like Limbo, and The Real Ramona rather than some of the trickier stuff. Then Kristin Hersh has been doing her thing solo too for years - and I'm a huge fan of hers too. She can also raise the goosebumps. This song with Michael Stipe on backing vocals is sublime:

And this one's another favourite - it's so raw when it kicks off properly:

Tanya Donelly tends to have the voice of an angel. Kristin Hersh will sing like a demon if the song requires it. I'm an enormous fan of them both.

• Upvote 3

Dream Wife definitely.

How about:-

Gurr

Mammoth Penguins

Brontosaurus Chorus:-

Charlotte Hatherley's first two albums:-

Be Your Own Pet

Little May

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, MarkN said:

Belly are very much a game of two halves - their first album "Star" is an Indie classic - it's just fantastic from first note to last. The second album went a fair bit more pop/rock. It's still very good, with some properly catchy songs, but it's a very different thing. As dreamylittledream said - Tanya Donelly's solo work is well worth checking out too.

Throwing Muses are magnificent, but perhaps a harder ask. I love all of it, but it helped coming at it from the most accessible albums like Limbo, and The Real Ramona rather than some of the trickier stuff. Then Kristin Hersh has been doing her thing solo too for years - and I'm a huge fan of hers too. She can also raise the goosebumps. This song with Michael Stipe on backing vocals is sublime:

I think the differences between Star and King can be overblown - Star does owe a lot more to the shoegazery '4AD' label sound, but although King in many ways smooths out that records harder edges and add copious hooks; they are clearly the work of the same band.  Personally I think King is one of the great under rated 90s indie records.

Donnelley has since gone on an interesting journey, Lovesongs for Underdogs is very much the sequel to King, but since then she has blurred lilting indie to alt country to well kind of hard to describe where she ended up but its interesting - but I'd have preferred if she'd stayed on the path Belly had mapped out.

As for Hersh - too lacking in direction and melody for me but certainly always an interesting listen.

• Upvote 3

@Gommy Great post! Plenty for me to dig into there, thanks. I particularly liked the Gurr and Mammoth Penguins songs, both of whom I'd never heard of. I remember Be Your Own Pet from my MTV2 watching days in the mid 2000s, but I didn't think much of them at the time, consequently I forgot all about them. Now they seem like exactly the kind of thing I like!

• Upvote 1

A slight aside, but because it's a fave of mine, and Catherine Wheel are possibly one of the most criminally-overlooked bands ever, here's Tanya Donelly featuring on their song "Judy Staring At The Sun".

• Upvote 1

For me it all started here:

And here:

Terrible they haven't been mentioned yet. 

Someone has already mentioned Dream Wife but I love their album:

That and the Orielles:

are my top picks of 2018 so far:

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MarkN said:

A few older options here:

Always loved Belly, and this song still gives me goosebumps 25 years later:

Then there's Throwing Muses:

And Veruca Salt:

Saw Belly live a couple of years ago an they are still brilliant! That's my favourite song by them.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, MarkN said:

A slight aside, but because it's a fave of mine, and Catherine Wheel are possibly one of the most criminally-overlooked bands ever, here's Tanya Donelly featuring on their song "Judy Staring At The Sun".

Adore that track and they were a great band.

Adam and Eve was a masterpiece 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BigShimmeryWall said:

Are Sleater-Kinney too obvious to be worth mentioning so far? :quote:

And I do like that Bob's Burgers one...

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, dreamylittledream said:

I think the differences between Star and King can be overblown - Star does owe a lot more to the shoegazery '4AD' label sound, but although King in many ways smooths out that records harder edges and add copious hooks; they are clearly the work of the same band.  Personally I think King is one of the great under rated 90s indie records.

Couldn't agree more, I love Star but King is one of my favourite albums of the nineties.  I'm completely obsessed by Tool at the moment as I'm in the process of setting up a tribute band (always played original stuff but decided to give it a go) and Belly are one of the few bands that can pull me away from them.

• Upvote 1