rllmuk
Retroid

Into the Breach - #perfectforswitch

9 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I started this the other day. Was slow going at first, lost a lot of timelines to not knowing how to do stuff, including one occasion on which I unequipped a weapon and forgot to reequip it. 

I just finished it with two islands on Easy and even that was a bit of a challenge. 

I do do wish it made some things a bit clearer, like buying cores is the only way to refill your power thingy. I finished an island and assumed they’d be refilled on the other only to have to fight my way up from only two cores. 

This sounds like maybe you’re mixing up two different things. Reactor cores give your mechs power points (some pilots also give bonus mech power points). Mech power points won’t ever reduce after you add them, you just need to have them to power your weapons.

Grid power is a totally separate thing. It’s what reduces when buildings get damaged. This isn’t refilled by reactor cores, but will be refilled by one point for each ‘lightning bolt’ mission objective that you complete, and you can also buy more in the shop at the end of the island.

2 minutes ago, MrCarrot said:

Mech power points won’t ever reduce after you add them

Unless you die and you lose all but one of them.

2 hours ago, MrCarrot said:

This sounds like maybe you’re mixing up two different things. Reactor cores give your mechs power points (some pilots also give bonus mech power points). Mech power points won’t ever reduce after you add them, you just need to have them to power your weapons.

Grid power is a totally separate thing. It’s what reduces when buildings get damaged. This isn’t refilled by reactor cores, but will be refilled by one point for each ‘lightning bolt’ mission objective that you complete, and you can also buy more in the shop at the end of the island.

Yeah. That’s what I meant, but phrased it poorly. Short of buying them and earning them from extra objectives there’s no way to refill your power grid. 

Still enjoying it loads. More than got my money’s worth from the five or six quid I paid. Crazy that it’s not on iOS, though. The tiny maps would work perfectly on it. 

Shame you can’t take weapons with you through each timeline. I got some crazy upgrades for my mechs that I’m sightly sad to lose. Haven’t tried other mechs yet. The smoke ones look slightly odd. 

I'm sure I read that the devs hated making FTL on ios and were never making an ios game again. I tried to look for that, and couldn't find it. So maybe I dreamt it.

It works so well on a pad though. Get the Switch version!

• Empathy 1

I cleared it with 2 islands on normal on my first go, all islands on normal on my 3rd go, using the Rusting Hulks. (Admittedly with only one power bar left and the bomb damaged!) Maybe I need to up the difficulty :P For such a mentally taxing game it's oddly relaxing, I love it.

37 minutes ago, Soi said:

It works so well on a pad though. Get the Switch version!

It actually plays much better on a pad than it does with a mouse!

• Upvote 1

I finally plucked up the courage to try this again (on easy) after my initial, disastrous foray. Despite turning down the difficulty I’m still losing a lot! I’m on my third timeline, but things are starting to make sense and I’m beginning to intuit the kind of play needed to win out. I just completed the ice island with a perfect, so I think I’ll be ready for ‘normal’ pretty soon. 

Its rewarding and satisfying but each decision has to be painstakingly thought through, it can be a bit much sometimes; and having to decide on whether to sacrifice grid power (and those poor civilians!), take damage to the mech or some other unavoidable harm doesn’t come naturally, but I’m getting over that now. 

• Upvote 1

Aaand finished my first successful run-through. Yes, I’m seeing the appeal of this now. Time for a second run on normal now, I think I’m ready. 

• Upvote 3

What a marvelous little game this is. It's actually very different to XCOM and Advance Wars, but it's just its own lovely little thing. Completed with 4 islands on Normal with a custom squad and I think that might be enough for me though. Getting there was tough but rewarding.

Rebuffed by the Zek twice now on normal. I think I came to really rely on the power ups gathered as the run progresses, so I’d kinda forgotten what it’s like to play through with the base squad and all the limitations therein.

My third run run is proving to be more successful, back to it tonight.  

1 hour ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

It's so good. Who are your favourite squads?

I love flame behemoths. 

I didn't unlock all of them but my favourite so far is the Zenith Guard. My Normal win was a custom squad of the Prime Mechs from the Zenith, Blitzkrieg and Frozen Titans.

I had the FT Prime piloted by Prospero, who has flying, and I would use him to hit enemies to gain a shield, then using his position to make a bridge between enemy groups so that the Blitzkrieg mech can zap them all at once. Shield meant it doesn't take damage from the pumped up Blitzkrieg. The Zenith mech would then mop up stragglers.

Completed my normal run by a single layer of the skin of my teeth. I went for a 2 island run then straight to the final island where things were going fairly well, but once we entered the last stage of the battle it started to get hairier than a barber’s floor. The real killer was the support Zek which causes 1 damage every turn; I had to spend every move just defending the bomb and the power grid so he pounded me every turn for 3 turns, eventually killing 2 of my mechs with still 2 turns to go.

All seemed lost until I used the heal  ability, which to my surprise also revives mechs from death, so I went into the very last round with a full compliment and showed those nasty bugs how we do it on earth. It was a real Hollywood-style ending, like Independence Day or something. The power grid still took a beating though, I think I finished on 1 power from an over-charged grid going into the battle!

I know the game says the difficulty of the last mission scales, but it really did feel very tough after only 2 islands and a small selection of power-ups. Really satisfying though. 

• Upvote 4

Rusted Hulks are rather good eh? The passive that heals all mechs when one heals is the best in the game by far. That and the one that means blocking vents doesn't cause damage.

I'm trying to get into this after buying it months ago and quitting after a few deaths on normal.

I've now dropped it down to easy and I'm having a better time but I still haven't won two battles yet?  Any tips for beginners?

The upgrade route is confusing as well as the timeline aspect.

2 minutes ago, Horribleman said:

Mech health is a resource you can and should use to protect the power supply. 

This exactly. Sometimes just standing and taking a bullet is the best move. Or standing on a spawn point. Ideally you'd be manoeuvring an enemy into doing that instead, but if you can't then maybe it's better to soak up a shot, than actually dish any damage out. Depending on your squad, maybe doing direct damage with a weapon should be considered way down your list of priorities. Get the enemy to kill and block themselves as much as possible.

For anyone who doesn't own this *cracking* game, it is currently free (yes free!) on the Epic game Store on PC for today only... (as part of their Xmas countdown giveaways)

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, Valver said:

For anyone who doesn't own this *cracking* game, it is currently free (yes free!) on the Epic game Store on PC for today only... (as part of their Xmas countdown giveaways)

One of my games of the decade, for further endorsement.

This is £5.69 according to the deals website posted in the switch thread.  I take it, based on the comments in this thread, that I should snap this up?

• Upvote 3