This has properly clicked for me now in my last couple of sessions with it and it's great. I'm currently on a playthrough in easy but it's still adequately challenging trying to do all of the objectives on each map. I find it plays more like a puzzle game than something like XCOM. Even on the lowest difficulty it repeatedly makes me feel like a genius, and by all accounts I haven't even scratched the surface yet.

It's almost made me wish for the Switch version of Dark Souls to be delayed for a couple more weeks so I can devote more time to it.

Great stuff.

• Upvote 2

On 28/11/2018 at 14:11, Andy_Why said:

Finally picked this up in the Steam Autumn sale and it is just as good as I'd hoped. I am completely addicted in a way I haven't been for years. What a game.

Your post reminded me to go back to this and I thought I'd try hard mode. Beat it on my third try which I'm pretty happy with. So thanks! 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Andy_Why said:

You're very welcome. I am so completely absorbed by this game right now. I've even been listening to the soundtrack in work!

What squad did you use for your hard run?

Custom squad: Laser, Aegis and Cannon.  

There may have been some luck involved. I had one guy left and one health on the bomb at the end :)  Saying that on my second run I got to the final round as well so I must be doing something right.

I went in to this seemingly having completely forgotten everything I learnt from ftl. My first action was to think that I'm good at these games, so play on hard... About 4 games later and I get my first island perfect... On easy. Time to move forwards now I've got my ridiculous arrogance behind me.

I don't get the power thing at all. How do I get power off my units? Is it xp based and does it roll over timelines?

On the main island map, you'll see each area has two or more symbols.. A lightning symbol means you get some more power (which are effectively lives) if you complete the bonus objective. A star is "currency" which can be used to buy power ups or weapons at the end of each island.. The little circle symbol earns you a reactor core if you complete the bonus objective. Reactor cores open up extra weapon slots so that the weapons you've bought with your currency can be fitted to a mech. You can choose to take one mech back to start over at the end of each game to help on the next run.. I think that makes sense

2 hours ago, little che said:

On the main island map, you'll see each area has two or more symbols.. A lightning symbol means you get some more power (which are effectively lives) if you complete the bonus objective. A star is "currency" which can be used to buy power ups or weapons at the end of each island.. The little circle symbol earns you a reactor core if you complete the bonus objective. Reactor cores open up extra weapon slots so that the weapons you've bought with your currency can be fitted to a mech. You can choose to take one mech back to start over at the end of each game to help on the next run.. I think that makes sense

Thanks, the first mech that I upgraded with a reactor core, was destroyed. Does this mean I couldn't carry it over? Also, when do you get the chance to carry one over? Still more questions... So is it only possible to upgrade one unit, if you can only carry one over at the end of each run?

It’s the pilot rather than the mech that you can carry over. If your pilot has reactor core upgrades from their skills though, that means you can power the standard mech up more right at the start.

On 29/12/2018 at 12:24, cassidy said:

Once this clicks and the mechanics become clear this gets amazing and addictive as all hell. 

Yep. It’s true one more go gaming. One of the best games this year without a doubt, and even the RRP is a steal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Yep. It’s true one more go gaming. One of the best games this year without a doubt, and even the RRP is a steal.

Finally completed four islands and the final stage with the first mechs only on easy mind. Next is to try the same on normal. 

I just bought it and started a normal difficulty play through. I lost a mech already on the second stage! I felt discouraged so haven’t gone back to it yet, but I think I will, and will give easy a try. 

Personally I found stepping down to easy was necessary before tackling normal. It's one of those games that can look almost impossible if you haven't got your head into its way of thinking yet, but then suddenly something shifts and you see the possibilities. The same is true of the different rosters of mechs. At first you think some sound utterly hopeless, but you give them a whirl with your newly-adjusted brain and it all kind of falls into place. It's part of what makes the game so very good.

Yeah, don’t feel bad about starting it on easy. You’ll make tons of mistakes, you’ll be punished for them, but you’ll learn from every one. It’s meant to be played over and over.

1 hour ago, MarkN said:

Personally I found stepping down to easy was necessary before tackling normal. It's one of those games that can look almost impossible if you haven't got your head into its way of thinking yet, but then suddenly something shifts and you see the possibilities. The same is true of the different rosters of mechs. At first you think some sound utterly hopeless, but you give them a whirl with your newly-adjusted brain and it all kind of falls into place. It's part of what makes the game so very good.

Tried Blitzkrieg; no idea at all what to do with the pull mech, given all my damage is from grouping bots together but NOT next to my own side.

I enjoyed this game a lot and included it in my GOTY list, but I must admit I didn't feel much of a compulsion to come back to it with different squads once I'd completed it a few different times on normal. I'm not sure why as the core gameplay is fantastic. I just didn't like completing the same challenges over and over again.

23 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I enjoyed this game a lot and included it in my GOTY list, but I must admit I didn't feel much of a compulsion to come back to it with different squads once I'd completed it a few different times on normal. I'm not sure why as the core gameplay is fantastic. I just didn't like completing the same challenges over and over again.

The replayability is the different squads - each leads you to play in a different way, and it's therefore not the same challenge.

I get that the different mech loadouts make it interesting, buy after a few play-throughs I just didn't feel much desire to go through it again. I think I just couldn't be bothered, more than any other factor. It's a game that requires a fair amount of thinking and sustained concentration, two things that I struggle to do when I'm playing at the end of a long day. But that's an issue with me, not the game.

• Empathy 1

Been playing this for a few days after getting it in the eshop sale. Just my sort of thing really. Reminds me of Invisible Inc as much as anything, but obviously scaled right down into smaller chunks.

I've had 6 goes so far, all on Normal, and just got my first win, having done all 4 islands. The Zenith Guard is my team of choice so far - I found it much easier to progress with them than some of the others.

I’m new to this as well. I hit about 10 hours of playtime before I bought a new squad. Now I’m deep into it again with the rusted hulks. I was having a good run last night before I realised it was 1.30am and I really needed to go to bed.

Really hits the same spot as advance wars but in digestible chunks. I have a lot of work travel coming up and this is definitely getting installed on my work laptop to pass away the hours travelling. 

• Upvote 1

I started this the other day. Was slow going at first, lost a lot of timelines to not knowing how to do stuff, including one occasion on which I unequipped a weapon and forgot to reequip it. 

I just finished it with two islands on Easy and even that was a bit of a challenge. 

I do do wish it made some things a bit clearer, like buying cores is the only way to refill your power thingy. I finished an island and assumed they’d be refilled on the other only to have to fight my way up from only two cores.