rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
myoozikk

Formula One - 2018 Season

I've been watching the BBC 2015 F1 Season review on YouTube and Lewis talks about how he's not there to make friends on the track, he's there to win. It's worth watching the segments on Japan and the US GP.

I consider this kind of on track behavior to be fine even if Rosberg didn't like it at all. It's only when it becomes dangerous like Schumacher almost putting Barrichelo into the wall to try and stop him overtaking or Maldonando swiping the front of Hamilton's car after qualifying in Spa that it becomes a problem. Max is arrogant and entitled and it's only going to get worse now he's Red Bull's number one driver but the last few years have put the idea into drivers minds that he is going to overtake them and they should give him space in the same way that Danny Ric's divebombs mean other drivers tend to leave him more space if they see him coming. It is going to be fun to watch and find out if he's about to get  humbled by the older drivers if is car is competitive or if he's really going to show how good he is.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

You've essentially just described Max Verstappen there. 

I wouldn't know really, I've watched so little of it over the past two years.

Problem with Max is that he does the whole 'give me the space I want or we collide' and pushes rules to and beyond breaking point but he has a terrible attitude when it doesnt go his way, and his team, Marko especially, have treated him as if he can do no wrong so he acts like he cant.

If you live by the sword, you have to be willing to die by the sword, if you slam the door on drivers they're not always going to avoid you, if you pass people off track limits you might lose a podium, it comes with the territory, but he blames everyone else and bitches about the rules everytime it doesnt go his way.  Used to think it was because he came in so young, but now I think hes just a twat.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Problem with Max is that he does the whole 'give me the space I want or we collide' and pushes rules to and beyond breaking point but he has a terrible attitude when it doesnt go his way, and his team, Marko especially, have treated him as if he can do no wrong so he acts like he cant.

Was Senna any different?

It's a half-formed thought, but Senna was aggressive but not particularly stupid.  Mainly because having an accident in the 1980s meant a definite chance of injury.  Whereas modern F1 is much safer so drivers can be much more reckless with a much lesser chance of paying the price.

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

It's a half-formed thought, but Senna was aggressive but not particularly stupid.  Mainly because having an accident in the 1980s meant a definite chance of injury.  Whereas modern F1 is much safer so drivers can be much more reckless with a much lesser chance of paying the price.

Avoiding the obvious, did Senna have any massive avoidable accidents?

56 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

Avoiding the obvious, did Senna have any massive avoidable accidents?

Massive no, but the first time he was fighting for a championship he lost 2 races he had in the bag through being a bit Max (Monaco and Italy).  If they didn't still have the "Best 11 of 16" rule it would have cost him the title.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think anyone is going to hold Senna up as the shining example of great sportsmanship but he only really complained when he felt that he wasn’t getting to compete on a level playing field as his rival, like Bennetons starts, or having the pole side switched to put him on the less grippy side.

Great to see Kubica get a proper drive, hopefully the Williams isn’t a complete undriveable dog like this years.

12 hours ago, wev said:

Mexico '91 shook him up

And avoidable because the road surface was absolute dogshit. It's interesting as he usually found himself at the scene of some fairly hefty shunts, Donnelly and his disintegrating Lotus, Comas and his trashed Ligier, he was certainly in touch with his own mortality which puts it at odds with what you'd class as 'reckless'

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

It's weird to see the number 1 on a car again. For this weekend only apparently.

I think that is a pity. IMO the champ should be forced to display number 1.

• Upvote 2

For whatever reason (because I wasn't able to watch it as broadcast today) my TiVo hasn't recorded the qualifying but has all 3 practice sessions (I have space for it).