rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
myoozikk

Formula One - 2018 Season

35 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

I don't agree; in the entire history of Formula 1, there have been 3 people who have won more championships than him, up until last weekend there were two. He is objectively in the top tier.

Vettel got utterly destroyed by Ricciardo. I expect similar next season with Leclerc.

31 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Hamilton tends to front load his mistakes at the start of the season and after the summer break eliminates them completely when he's going for the title. I think Rosberg running wide at the US GP due to a 'gust of wind' letting Hamilton win in 2015 I think was the catalyst for his pursuit of the title the following year and while you can blame Hamilton's engine failure in Malaysia for handing Rosberg the title he'd been playing catch up all season due to how bad he was at the the start in the early races of the season.

One thing Vettel and Hamilton don't seem to have is the shithousery you'd expect from world champions. Correct me if I'm wrong but apart from Multi 21 Vettel is usually very fair and I cannot recall Hamilton pulling anything in the level of Rosberg parking it at Monaco to ruin his qualifying lap in the last few years either.

I know it's tangential to the conversation, but yeah Rosberg definitely parked it, no doubt. 

23 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Vettel got utterly destroyed by Ricciardo. I expect similar next season with Leclerc.

No way of proving it, but I'd expect that his performance that year triggered a clause that got him out of his Red Bull contract. 

4 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

No way of proving it, but I'd expect that his performance that year triggered a clause that got him out of his Red Bull contract. 

Well that would be even worse. Deliberately under performing to get out of a contract. Way to shit on everybody else in the team working their asses off.

14 hours ago, GwiDan said:

I don't agree; in the entire history of Formula 1, there have been 3 people who have won more championships than him, up until last weekend there were two. He is objectively in the top tier.

All with one team during one period of dominance against one teammate.

Lewis has beaten three teammates to championships across two teams. Michael multiple teammates across two.

• Upvote 2

That bottom section seems like a very long (almost) straight.

[edit]

About 1.6km according to Google maps. With the start/finish and the back side of that around to the stadium on what's currently a green field site

do turns 13-18 actually count though?

the scale used to fit it all in make them look like wibbly-wobbly jelly chicanes, and it's classed as a street circuit. Who builds a street like that?

DrY-HkeX4AAy6RG.jpg

29 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Who builds a street like that?

Probably someone that got fucked off with it being blown up all the time?

48 minutes ago, SeanR said:

do turns 13-18 actually count though?

the scale used to fit it all in make them look like wibbly-wobbly jelly chicanes, and it's classed as a street circuit. Who builds a street like that?

The wobbles don't exist yet, I think. It's just green space on Google. The straighter and circular bits are streets.

Claire Williams is the guest on this week's Beyond The Grid podcast which was recorded a few days after Mexico. She says they're going to announce their second driver for 2019 "by the end of this season".

Who do we think it might be?

I hope Ocon. I know it would be nice to see Kubica back but I think Williams could do with an experienced (relevant experience) driver. 

I had a weird dream last night. In it, Mercedes were thrown out of the Mexican GP after it was discovered that they had been secretly testing a Peugeot Engine with Oliver Panis. Maybe Williams will announce a new Peugeot works deal that requires them to run a french driver.

I've got  to stop eating cheese before bed.

• Upvote 1

It's highly likely to be one of Ocon, Kubica, Sirotkin, basically in reverse order of whatever money Claire's managed to find to replace Martini.

Hamilton is definitely getting  at least a three place grid drop for blocking Sirotkin in Q2.

Seb's destroyed the weigh scales when the FIA unreasonably got him the weight scales when it was about to rain. I think he got screwed then but has reacted badly.

Pole for Bottas tomorrow then assuming Hamilton and Vettel get the penalties that I assume are coming their way.

Just now, JohnC said:

How do you destroy a weighbridge? Did he crash into some equipment or something?

he didn't turn off his engine then drove off instead of being pushed  off.

When they say weighbridge, what they really mean is corner weighing scales. Basically, these things are small portable devices and Vettel was being an idiot, but a random weigh at that point was a crazy decision, especially since he hadn't even put in a timed lap at that point.

28 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Hamilton is definitely getting  at least a three place grid drop for blocking Sirotkin in Q2.

Interesting that the commentators have said the stewards have said nothing, that was downright dangerous. I can't believe they are talking about Sirotkin being on a warm up lap, if he went full onto the grass and binned the car big time, and even ended up injured we'd be having a very different discussion right now.

Just seen it. The way he made to move forward a couple of times when the guy was picking up the cone he knocked was pretty shit too.

That Hamilton sudden swerve was bad too.

If he wasn’t on a hot lap he shouldn’t have been trying to overtake Hamilton going into that corner I think is the reasoning. 

2 minutes ago, ryodi said:

If he wasn’t on a hot lap he shouldn’t have been trying to overtake Hamilton going into that corner I think is the reasoning. 

Nothing in the rules says you aren't allowed to overtake when you aren't on a hot lap.

I fail to see how the type of lap changes a dangerous move to an acceptable one.

• Upvote 1

I don’t think it’s right but that’s how the commentators described it. We haven’t had the FIA banhammer lottery for a while so let’s see what happens.

• Upvote 1

I view the Ham thing very differently after hearing Sir was on an out lap. Yeah Ham shouldn’t make a sudden movement with a car behind but you also wouldn’t be expecting a car on an outlap to be coming around quite like that IMHO. 

33 minutes ago, myoozikk said:

I view the Ham thing very differently after hearing Sir was on an out lap. Yeah Ham shouldn’t make a sudden movement with a car behind but you also wouldn’t be expecting a car on an outlap to be coming around quite like that IMHO. 

The cars don't have out lap indicators on them. Even if the team radioed Hamilton they'd hardly day 'Sirotkin behind is on an out lap and catching fast'

Wasn't it turn 10/11? You'd be looking for a good run in there to maintain speed up the hill.

The blue light was also flashing track side in front of Hamilton, not sure if that means the dash light was also flashing or if they only do that for back markers on the race.

Vettel gets a fine for breaking the scales.The race should be fun tomorrow with Mercedes and Ferrari starting on different tyres.