rllmuk
myoozikk

Formula One - 2018 Season

No way is Alonso going within a mile of a Honda engine.

Red Bull have their pick but I think they need some experience, Gasly is good, great even but him and Max doesn't feel like the line up to take a team into a new era.

That's a bold move from Ricciardo but in the world of F1 you only win with works teams these days and being stuck as a number two driver alongside Max isn't very appealing.

Bold move indeed. 

Ricciardo's problem is of course that Max is favoured in Red Bull circles, and, perhaps Max is better too..  Red Bull's engine future is a bit uncertain and DR is only getting older.  Is it a good move?  Who knows, plenty laughed at Hamilton when he went to Mercedes.

As for Alonso, Red Bull wouldn't pay for him.  They like to create their own drivers through their young driver programme, not hire someone else at the top of the game demanding big numbers.  Gasly will get the drive because that's what Red Bull do and Hartley isn't ready yet.  Filling the 2nd seat at Toro Rosso is the bigger question mark as I don't believe there are any F2 drivers in the Red Bull programme at the moment.

With Hulkenberg and Ricciardo, you could argue that in 2019 Renault will have the strongest pairing of drivers (by which I'm saying that both are better than Bottas and Raikonnen), now all they need is the car!

I doubt Hartley will be at Torro Rosso next year. I wouldn't be too surprised if they drop him before the end of the year.

I would imagine Dan Ticktum will be at Torro Rosso next year no matter what (assuming he can get a license)

On 03/08/2018 at 12:55, ryodi said:

That's a bold move from Ricciardo but in the world of F1 you only win with works teams these days and being stuck as a number two driver alongside Max isn't very appealing.

Yeah, it's a Schumacher to Ferrari or Hamilton to Mercedes style punt.

Or of course it's a Villeneurve to BAR or Hill to Arrows style punt... 

On 03/08/2018 at 13:49, LowCostMonkey said:

I doubt Hartley will be at Torro Rosso next year. I wouldn't be too surprised if they drop him before the end of the year.

I would imagine Dan Ticktum will be at Torro Rosso next year no matter what (assuming he can get a license)

He can't, even if he wins the F3 Euroseries he doesn't have the points. That program has a bit of a lack of experience right now which is basically why Hartley was there in the first place.

They may well end up picking up someone good from F2, Alexander Albon being the best placed of those without an obvious manufacturer tie-up already as Lando Norris is McLaren and George Russell Mercedes.

EDIT : Turns out Albon is ex-Red Bull jr program anyway so could absolutely be an option.

Feels like Red Bull have pushed him out with their view as Max as the future of F1, as anywhere is better than staying.  It always seems like he is the clear favourite despite Ricciardo bring home the results more often.

Renault have no chance of a title until regulation changes (unless something super secret is going on that they’ve shown him, when Lewis went to Merc there were rumours of the upcoming huge improvement) but the Honda engine has a chance to improve enough to turn the Red Bulls into contenders so I guess he is playing the long game of ingrainging himself into the team ready to go for the title when they make their step up or maybe jump ship to Mercedes or Ferrari if Lewis or Seb retire (can see Lewis leaving if he wins the next DWC).

Reckon Gasly will get the Red Bull seat if he carries on impressing this season, so it’s nit going to spark a series of moves.

4 hours ago, Dudley said:

Yeah, it's a Schumacher to Ferrari or Hamilton to Mercedes style punt.

Or of course it's a Villeneurve to BAR or Hill to Arrows style punt... 

He can't, even if he wins the F3 Euroseries he doesn't have the points. That program has a bit of a lack of experience right now which is basically why Hartley was there in the first place.

They may well end up picking up someone good from F2, Alexander Albon being the best placed of those without an obvious manufacturer tie-up already as Lando Norris is McLaren and George Russell Mercedes.

EDIT : Turns out Albon is ex-Red Bull jr program anyway so could absolutely be an option.

Did Hill have a choice? I thought he’d already been sacked based on ‘95?

That's how I always thought the Hill and Williams situation went down, Patrick Head and Frank Williams didn't want to renew his contract and there was no other seat available for 97, Adrian Newey wasn't all that pleased about it either iirc

On 31/07/2018 at 10:52, mexos said:

In other news the new wings for 2019 look pretty cool.

LKM0M7XN?format=jpg&name=600x314

I like the back to basics aesthetic.

Being hugely optimistic there aren't they..........?

Interesting interview with a bloke that looks a bit like Hagrid on motosport.com. Seems there's a few teams being prize tossers in the background.....

On 05/08/2018 at 12:17, GwiDan said:

Did Hill have a choice? I thought he’d already been sacked based on ‘95?

Pretty much, I just needed another champion move that ended poorly.

I was away so I couldn't get data. My mate insisted he saw the news about Danny Ric, I was sure he was trolling me. Goddammit!

What a massive risk. He may never win another race now. I really hope that is not the case. I do wonder what they have told him. Surely money / Team Max isn't the main motivator. There has to be something else...? :unsure: What have Renault told him / shown him? Have they been doing some extra massive investment in next years car behind closed doors? Have they already used the info from Marcin Budkowsk? 

Apparently he's leaving the F1 team, but not the parent McLaren company.

According to company documents, on 26 July Ojjeh resigned from the board of the team as well as its marketing division and McLaren Applied Technologies which uses developments from F1 in other industries.

Ojjeh remains on the board of McLaren’s parent company and its supercar manufacturing division. McLaren insists that his resignation from the board of the team is simply part of simplifying its corporate structure and nothing in practice has changed other than a decision that makes for a more efficient and practical process.

In other news, Force India has been saved. They've agreed a deal to come out of administration with all jobs saved. Don't see further details yet.

Consortium led by Lawrence Stroll is taking them over. Great news that all jobs are safe.

Williams, however, are probably eying their bank account a bit glumly. Stroll and Martini gone at year’s end.

You have to worry for them at this point. It might be time for them to a sister team to Mercedes like Torro Rosso are to RB because I'm not sure where new sponsors are going to come from.

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

McClaren at least have the road car division to generate income. Williams just have F1 as far as I know.

Don't they develop alot of hybrid technology for other racing categories?

1 hour ago, wev said:

Don't they develop alot of hybrid technology for other racing categories?

They did but sold that awhile back, they do the batteries in formula e - not sure if they are doing the new one tho.

I'll wager that Hagrid is eyeing up the deal that FI kicked into the weeds last week landing at Williams. They'll be splashed in sugary drinks sponsorship come next year, long term, beyond some kind of miracle I think they could very well be fucked.

Most of the top teams run programs through lower formula, do Williams do this? they'll be back in the BTCC at this rate.

10 minutes ago, marsh said:

I'll wager that Hagrid is eyeing up the deal that FI kicked into the weeds last week landing at Williams. They'll be splashed in sugary drinks sponsorship come next year, long term, beyond some kind of miracle I think they could very well be fucked.

Most of the top teams run programs through lower formula, do Williams do this? they'll be back in the BTCC at this rate.

I always wondered why F1 teams let themselves go bust instead of dropping down to some lower cheaper category to recover. This probably shows more my lack of business acumen than anything else.