rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
myoozikk

Formula One - 2018 Season

1 hour ago, mexos said:

Yes! We went in 2016 and it was great. And we are going again this year. :D I can give you loads of info. 

We sat in C last time and this time we are in Mercedes. C gives a good view and you can run along the straight to see the podium / pit lane after race stuff. We were hanging off the pitwall watching Lewis do the team pic etc.  The view from Mercedes tho is incredible (we went in there for qualifying), you can see a huge portion of the circuit. Will post some pics later so you can see what the views are like.

hockenheim-grandstand-map.png

Awesome! Any other helpful tips most welcome!

Which C did you sit in?

We we’re considering Sud A, but from looking at some photos it looks like there are no giant TV screens there which would be a bit rubbish.  

There is a screen, you should be able to see it from A.  It's in the infield. 

I would seriously consider being in a covered grandstand. We couldn't sit it out in the sun for long it was ridiculously hot. 

I've been watching a load of old rallycross races recently. One thing I've noticed is - once they're in the lead they seem to be able to keep it despite what you'd assume would be severely handicapped cars - flat tyres, broken suspension, allsorts. And we complain about how hard it is to overtake in F1!

Here's one where the leader does basically the entire race with one of the rear wheels pointing completely the wrong way:

It's still brilliant to watch though :)

• Upvote 2

Ah, Rallycross. Before I even knew what F1 was as a kid of... er... 5 (I think), I clearly remember my first motorsport hero.

92-6R4.jpg

Used to get a load of time on Grandstand on Saturday, too! Should watch more of it as whenever I see it these days I remember why I found it so much fun to begin with.

• Upvote 1

the rally metro?

my son inherited a scale model from the missus' brother, iirc the post office is a sponsor on it? might be another car...

[edit]

oh wait, that was the Metro Turbo BTCC car, not the 6R4, and it was DATAPOST, not the post office

Edited by SeanR

5 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Ah, Rallycross. Before I even knew what F1 was as a kid of... er... 5 (I think), I clearly remember my first motorsport hero.

92-6R4.jpg

Used to get a load of time on Grandstand on Saturday, too! Should watch more of it as whenever I see it these days I remember why I found it so much fun to begin with.

Boo hisss!

Martin Schenker(?) in his RS200 was da man!

Martin Schanche did one of the most amazing bits of car control I've ever seen.  At Brands, the rallycross circuit turns in before Paddock Hill Bend.  Schanche arrived in his RS200 and somehow (well, not for him) ended up facing the wrong way.  He kept his foot in it and slid down the hill sideways facing back towards the pits before switching through a 180 to get through the chicane.  Ridiculous car control in a car that - by todays standards - wasn't easy at all.

I was a big fan of Whitstable Will.  Shame the 6R4 was underpowered compared to Mark Rennison's RS200 E2 - it was only due to Gollops talent and the handling of the 6R4 that he could keep it close.  So much so that he had to strap twin turbos to the 6R4 to be competitive.

Neither could hold a candle to the 206 T16 E2.  That thing was a rocket.  The reason for that huge spoiler on the back was that the car had a dodgy balance, when going over a bump it would flick the rear up and if you were lucky, just land heavily on the front wheels.  So they strapped a wing to the back, not just for downforce but to try and weigh it down a bit.

• Upvote 1

Car launch dates so far:

Renault 12th Feb

Racing Point 13th

McLaren 14th

Ferrari 15th

Sauber 18th

First test in Barcelona 18-21st Feb

2nd  26th Feb to 1st March

• Upvote 4

Former Ferrari number 2 driver Eddie Irvine has gone off about Vettel and the current state of F1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46927041

Irvine described Vettel as "massively overrated" and says he can't understand how the German secured four successive titles between 2010 and 2014.

He also said Lewis Hamilton is the best driver of this era, but the British five-time world champion "isn't even close" to Michael Schumacher.

Despite admitting he follows Formula 1 with less interest than when he used to compete in it, Irvine isn't shy about commenting on the current crop of drivers.

"I think Lewis is in a different league from all of them," said Irvine, although that praise is tainted by comparison. "He's not in Michael's league and I don't even think he is close, although he's racking up lots of wins. He's got the best car, there are more races and the competition is debateable.

The old better in my day argument. What does Irvine do these days, you never see him at races?

He's made a lot of (probably more than in F1) money in property and other businesses since he left. He's absolutely ridiculously wealthy these days from what I gather. It was something he'd started before he even got to Formula One. Think he was already a millionaire by the time he sat in the Jordan at Suzuka in 1993.

Sadly, money doesn't necessarily equate to the quality of observations that often come out of his mouth :lol: 

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

The old better in my day argument. What does Irvine do these days, you never see him at races?

It's not even better in my day, it's very simple.  If Schumacher is miles ahead of Vettel and Hamilton then Irvine, who was merely kilometres behind him could be a World Champion if only he were born now.

• Upvote 1

Irvine was a tugger that believed his own press. He bigs up Schu just to make himself sound good. He’s done this for years, it’s so transparent. He’s almost on the same level as JV. Big mouth, little talent compared to his peers. 

11 hours ago, wev said:

Irvine would have been a World Champion in 1999 if he weren't shit.

Indeed, that was his chance.  Then he took the money at Jaguar and that did not go super well.

On 23/01/2019 at 21:10, wev said:

Irvine would have been a World Champion in 1999 if he weren't shit.

Irvine could have been the 1999 champion if it wasn't for that pitstop where Ferrari "conveniently" misplaced a wheel.

They clearly wanted Schumi to be Champ, not EI.

• Upvote 1

Indeed, Schumacher spent most of the season with a broken leg meaning Irvine's team mate was Salo. That was a good season though as at one point it could have been Hakkinen, Irvine or Frentzen, even Coulthard had a sniff.

Oh and a bit of traditional Ferrari cheating too

7 hours ago, wev said:

Oh and a bit of traditional Ferrari cheating too

Ah yes the bargeboards. Rumoured to be a smokescreen for far wider cheating that was going on internally. 

MSC would have walked the '99 championship if he didn't break his legs at Silverstone. 

Irvine had been in the team since '96 and had plenty of time to find his feat, supersub Salo came in and was right on the pace. Eddie wouldn't have been close to the title without his help.

He would have put JV into second place and Raik into 3rd place in the least deserving champion of the last 30 year awards I just invented. 

On 21/01/2019 at 18:11, fragglerock said:

Car launch dates so far:

Renault 12th Feb...

I'd love it if they make a good car. Dunno I'd like to see Hulk finally get a bloody podium and Danny to have justified the move. They are making all the noise of having something radical up their sleeves. 

3 hours ago, mexos said:

I'd love it if they make a good car. Dunno I'd like to see Hulk finally get a bloody podium and Danny to have justified the move. They are making all the noise of having something radical up their sleeves. 

And with a bit of luck the Honda turns out to be another bag of spanners, because, Red Bull.

On 25/01/2019 at 20:30, PC Master Race said:

And with a bit of luck the Honda turns out to be another bag of spanners, because, Red Bull.

I’m soft on them these days. Yes I still despise the doctor but Horner really has grown into the troll master roll. I like him a lot these days. 

And Max is fulfilling his destiny of the pantomime villain. Ever since everyone started liking Alonso we needed to source a replacement. 

Hmmmm, not sure how much salt you need to take with this. Reports that Liberty are looking to sell part or even all of F1 after just 3 years. 

I'm struggling with this one. Maybe bringing in new Partners, I can see that making sense I guess.

https://johnwallstreet.com/formula-one-for-sale/

EDIT: This is apparently total bull.

Formula One For Sale, Again

Less than 3 years after Liberty Global acquired Formula One, the company is reportedly exploring scenarios that would decrease their stake in the international racing circuit; everything from an exit to the introduction of new equity partners in on the table. Liberty has failed to add races (see: Miami) and/or major sponsors, attract younger fans (fact: just 14% are < 25 years old) or drive digital revenues (.06% of total revenue in ‘18); issues that collectively indicate the C-suite is in over their heads and taking direction from the wrong places. Keep an eye on former owner Bernie Ecclestone, the British business magnate has the capital, know-how and can likely reclaim the asset back for a fraction of the $8 billion he sold it for. 

Keep an eye on former owner Bernie Ecclestone, the British business magnate has the capital, know-how and can likely reclaim the asset back for a fraction of the $8 billion he sold it for. 

Didn't need to read it to know this would be the final line.