myoozikk

Formula One - 2018 Season

I’d never heard of George Russell till today, turns out the guy who’s leading the project I’m working on is his cousin!

2 hours ago, morcs said:

I’d never heard of George Russell till today, turns out the guy who’s leading the project I’m working on is his cousin!

That's probably because Lando Norris has been getting all the up and comer plaudits.

It's fantastic we have two superb British debutants next year, shame they're in quite probably the worst two teams.

Long seasons have rather killed my commitment weirdly,.

Back when there were 15 I'd be sure to watch every race.  Now there's so many that I simply couldn't clear that amount of weekends if I wanted to and also if I miss one there's another next week.

The result being I don't try and just watch one if I happen to be around on Sunday and it's on.  I don't get up for Japan, Australia etc anymore and probably watch 5-10 a year tops live.

I literally couldn't tell you if there's a race this weekend, guessing the lack of practice chat means no.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Depends on the race weekend I should imagine. The F1 season is 9 months now, I've gone through Sky's wizard picking everything I can that just says "I want F1 and nothing else you dicks".

I get £38 a month, which is going to be £476 for the minimum term including installation.

Silverstone will charge you £186 right now for weekend generation admission, which is interestingly £13 less than the face value of my identical tickets from 2002 (although capacity was half then what it is now).  So if you're anywhere near Silverstone you could attend for less.  A grandstand seat at Becketts would double that though. Stowe C, a great place to be, would be somewhere in the middle.

So including travel it's a close run thing for most.

Worth mentioning of course, Sky would also give you more sport, including Eurosport 1 and 2, giving you WTCC for instance.

You could incidentally get a 3 day ticket at Barcelona for £130 and flights are cheap.

41 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Depends on the race weekend I should imagine. The F1 season is 9 months now, I've gone through Sky's wizard picking everything I can that just says "I want F1 and nothing else you dicks".

I get £38 a month, which is going to be £476 for the minimum term including installation.

Silverstone will charge you £186 right now for weekend generation admission, which is interestingly £13 less than the face value of my identical tickets from 2002 (although capacity was half then what it is now).  So if you're anywhere near Silverstone you could attend for less.  A grandstand seat at Becketts would double that though. Stowe C, a great place to be, would be somewhere in the middle.

Worth mentioning of course, Sky would also give you more sport, including Eurosport 1 and 2, giving you WTCC for instance.

You could incidentally get a 3 day ticket at Barcelona for £130 and flights are cheap.

Last year I worked out a way to do the 2018 Canadian GP weekend for £400 per person. I didn't go in the end.

but next year... next. year.

9 hours ago, Dudley said:

21 NowTV day passes @ £8 each = £161 if you don't mind missing quali

Otherwise it's week passes, 21 * 13 = £273 giving you quali as well

• Upvote 1

Silverstone will be on free to air so it’s only 20 race weekends you’ll need to pay for. Hopefully Sky will do another offer like this year where it was £160 for a 9 month pass.

Just watched the DTM on some weird channel. Brilliant. Also Gary Paffett said "..fucking shit all over the track" on the radio at the end, which was nice.

Good point, I didn't consider you could game day and week passes to do it.

So the answer is, all the Grand Prixs on live TV is pretty much exactly Silverstone general admission if you're reasonably local.

Yeah you don't need 21 week passes - When the races are back-to-back weeks you can use 1 week pass followed by 1 day pass, so it'll be a bit less than £273

Edit: Actually you can''t can you? :lol:

52 minutes ago, morcs said:

Just watched the DTM on some weird channel. Brilliant. Also Gary Paffett said "..fucking shit all over the track" on the radio at the end, which was nice.

I watched that. Great stuff.

This round not as exciting :(

Why do DTMs sound rubbish for V8s? I remember them being a bit disappointing in the flesh too. Is it because they use a flat plane crank?

Yeah I saw that. Still twice the power of BTCC. I guess they’ll sound like rally cars?

Edit: no it seems they’ll be inaudible over the commentary:

12 hours ago, morcs said:

Yeah you don't need 21 week passes - When the races are back-to-back weeks you can use 1 week pass followed by 1 day pass, so it'll be a bit less than £273

Edit: Actually you can''t can you? :lol:

Yeah you'll need to show your working on that one :P

4 hours ago, deerokus said:

The Johnny Herbert episode of Beyond the Grid is excellent. That crash that destroyed his feet, fucking hell. 

Every episode has been great but that was one of my favorites, does make you wonder what might have been with him.

On 12/10/2018 at 21:35, Dudley said:

That's probably because Lando Norris has been getting all the up and comer plaudits.

It's fantastic we have two superb British debutants next year, shame they're in quite probably the worst two teams.

I've been watching F2 for a couple of seasons now, and when Norris is on it, he is amazing to watch, but he has that Hamilton style give up temperament it seems, when he is far back, he pushes too hard, burns out the tyres and ends up dropping back.  At one point the championship was his to loose, but consistency for Russell and more maturity, sees him at the top of the table now.  From what I've seen of the 2 this season, Russell has a cooler head and is currently the better driver by a long way.

I'd like to see Albon make it 3 Brits (well, Thai Brit...) He has come alive towards the end of the F2 season after a mediocre start.

The other standout for me is Russian Artem Markalov.  Plenty of F1 stories talk about Russian pay drivers, which include him, he's been in F2 (GP2..) for 5 seasons or something, so perhaps he's had more time to get used to that level of racing, I don't know, but he has excellent racecraft, and is handy at tyre preservation, and making the alternative strategy work, in a 

Sauber sort of way.  I can't help but think this ability to eek out tyres is key in F1, combined with his ability to pull off overtakes in unusual places would make him a decent choice, even if he doesn't have quickest outright pace.

On 15/10/2018 at 09:25, Dudley said:

I'd imagine the cheapest way to do it overall - if you want Sky TV rather than weekend passes - which is a must for me as I more often than not watch the races prerecorded on my box so I can spend Sunday afternoon with my family! is to also accept paying them for broadband.  When I last looked, the difference in TV vs. TV and Broadband (which might also mean phoneline too) was less than you can get equivalent broadband for.

I guess the flip side is you may end up with shit broadband (like I have from them...)  We pay somewhere around £60 a month for TV, a 13meg broadband line (non fibre) and a phoneline that never gets used, but have a legacy HD package which includes F1, but no other sports stuff so I admit I'm a little out of touch with current packages..

11 hours ago, deerokus said:

The Johnny Herbert episode of Beyond the Grid is excellent. That crash that destroyed his feet, fucking hell. 

7 hours ago, Nick_L said:

Every episode has been great but that was one of my favorites, does make you wonder what might have been with him.

Is that a Sky thing? Wouldn't mind seeing that. I'd definitely recommend Herbert's book though