myoozikk

Formula One - 2018 Season

Oh yes, Langes :facepalm:

Interesting useless fact of the day: his nickname was 'Panda'. An actual panda would probably have done a better job than him. There's a superbly awkward moment on the 1990 season review tape where all the drivers are in the pen at Phoenix waiting to be interviewed, and he wanders towards the camera expectantly... only for the interviewer to actually want to interview someone far more relevant who had been standing behind him :lol:

Here he is in 'action'.

Cw3TOXjWEAQsVR5.jpg

That's true, actually!

On-the-spot quiz for everyone :sherlock: - which vastly underrated driver was his team mate for the majority of 1990? What lead to said driver moving to another team?

I do love that anyone speaking about anything F1 obscure/history related somehow instantly summons Kiro to the thread like some sort of F1 bat-signal. :wub:

• Upvote 4

I know the answer to Kiro's one but all I'll say is despite that question, said teammate's greatest achievement was 2 years later.

The record Marsh refers to is that Langes is statistically the worst F1 driver of all time having entered almost all of a season's races (13 or 14 I think) but not only failed to qualify for any of them, failed to earn the right to qualify for any of them because he never got out of the pre-qualifying session to narrow the field to 30.

Given the chances of us having pre-qualifying again anytime soon are just west of nil he's probably pretty safe.

So yeah when I think bad F1 driver, I can't be too hard on Stroll when the likes of Langes, Paul Belmondo Jr and the man affectionately known as "Jonny Carwash" had drives.

• Upvote 1

Yes! Believe it or not, Spark are releasing a 1/43rd model of that car to commemorate it. I doubt I will ever begin to comprehend how on earth he managed it, either.

2 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Oh yes, Langes :facepalm:

Interesting useless fact of the day: his nickname was 'Panda'. An actual panda would probably have done a better job than him. There's a superbly awkward moment on the 1990 season review tape where all the drivers are in the pen at Phoenix waiting to be interviewed, and he wanders towards the camera expectantly... only for the interviewer to actually want to interview someone far more relevant who had been standing behind him :lol:

Here he is in 'action'.

Cw3TOXjWEAQsVR5.jpg

Sounds like I've been channeling this guy rather than this guy

champion-34-kevin-schwantz-iconic-images

When playing GT Sport

• Upvote 1

Player			AU  BH  CN  AZ  ES  MC  CA  FR  AT  GB  DE  HU  BE  IT  SG  RU  JP  Total
------			-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jon            		34  15  12  13  20  12  24  30   4  12  19  30  14  28  27  19  25    338
PK2018         		12  14  20  13  21  10   7  26   6  21  24  30  23  24  34  28  21    334
Dudley         		14  14  17  18  20  17  13  22   5  18  19  25  10  20  35  24  39    330
Sidewaysbob    		16   6  12  17  21  16  12  25  12  16  23  37  15  28  22  15  25    318
Tarquini       		15   8   6  18  23  10  14  24  10  11  33  27  15  25  28  15  33    315
GRC84          		25   5  13  14  22  11  12  22   6  12  18  31  19  24  30  24  26    314
Ilpostino      		16   9  16  18  22   6   6  21  11  17  20  22  16  25  37  21  26    309
Bushtopher     		25   5  15  24  12  12  13  20   6  22  19  24  15  19  26  22  30    309
Myoozikk       		13  10   8  14  21  15   7  21  10  13  33  24  11  24  30  20  29    303
Charles        		12   9  15  22  20  15  11  20   5  11  14  30  11  23  29  27  21    295
SeanR          		21  15  12   9  20   8  14  19  11  15  20  17  20  20  19  24  20    284
MrPogo         		12   6   8  13  25  15   6  21   6  16  19  31  12  24  21  20  25    280
Fragglerock    		16   5  14  17  19  10   5  17   5  20  18  29  10  15  31  17  30    278
JPR            		21  18  13   4  20  12  29  12  10  13  10  13  25  15  14  21  27    277
Bogievan22     		 0   5   7  20  21  21   5  20   6  12  24  28  15  21  20  24  20    269
Mexos          		26  28  15  12  15  11  12  27   4  23  14  14  23  14  12  11   7    268
Baring         		13   6  12   5  12  16  12  23   5  16  19  11  16   7  11  25  31    240
Wev            		16   5  15   4  12  16  16  13   6  35  10  13  28   6  17   7  21    240
SharkyOB       		13   9  17   9  11  12   9  12   5  26  15  11  18   7  12  20  22    228

Sorry all, I've been away with work so its a double update this week.  Closing up nicely at the top of the table now.

• Upvote 2

Oh dear god someone's actually set up a Woman only racing series, to "avoid women topping out at GP3" but offering prize money that might buy 2 rounds of F2, so will make no difference at all.

44 minutes ago, Dudley said:

And suddenly I'm right back in it.

39 points is a mega score, might be the highest ever actually. 

26 minutes ago, Dudley said:

Oh dear god someone's actually set up a Woman only racing series, to "avoid women topping out at GP3" but offering prize money that might buy 2 rounds of F2, so will make no difference at all.

I think the prize money aspect is a bad idea but offering more opportunities to female drivers is surely a positive thing? 

1 hour ago, wev said:

I think the prize money aspect is a bad idea but offering more opportunities to female drivers is surely a positive thing? 

The problem is it creates a gender based inequality.  It is a step towards condoning no women in F1 - by allowing bigots to say things like "but they have Series W"

If woman are making it to GP3/F3 and not progressing into F2, it's about lack of talent or money. 

Money:

The money backing seems to land with men.

I think more or less everyone here would agree that F1 without Scroll, Palmer, Maldonado, and a hole pile of other pay drivers before them, would be a better place.

High level motorsport needs less pay drivers, which in turn means more spaces for more talented drivers.

I don't want to get into a debate about money vs. talent, Stroll, as an example, clearly has some talent, just not F1 level talent.

Talent:

This seems to be what Series W wants to do.  Create a series where talented woman can be selected and showcase their talent, get noticed, and move on up.

Ignoring the sexist nature of this plan, to me it feel like it's at the wrong end of motorsport to me.

Surely, it's back in the infant formula, or even karting that this sort of thing needs to happen.

We see the Max Verstappens and Lando Norris' now making it to F1 very quickly.  They have have fantastic careers and risen very quickly, presumably with both finance and nurturing from teams at the top almost right from the start.  Hamilton was the same.

I understand both those points but I think this is about making women more visible in Motorsport, whichever way you cut it it's a "man's game" and has been for far too long, there's no physical barrier to prevent women from making it in Motorsport, it's purely financial and the numbers of women racing is very low in all formula. By making those currently racing more visible it gives young girls a role model to aspire to that they can identify with

As an aside, I find fascinating that a woman hasn't made it into F1 as a racer, from a business perspective.

A couple of years ago, Mercedes ploughed a couple of billion into making the best hybrid engines to virtually guarantee championships, or at least fighting for them, leading to massive amounts of publicity to a sector they wanted they cars to appeal to - the typical F1 fans.

The exposure to investment ratio made it an obvious choice.

I'd say that the publicity of a woman (properly) in F1 would be very similar.

Just look at the camera time "development driver" Carmen Jordá got for Endstone Lotus, despite the chances of her ever driving the car in anger being zero, and similarly Susie Wolff - both very mediocre drivers with little experience in junior formula, selected because of what they looked like, or who they knew / were married to.

Imagine the publicity for a woman that actually deserved to be there, with a good history of working up through the formula and winning.  It's a publicity dream.

This might be a toxic way to encourage it, but perhaps it's good enough to create change.  Time will tell I guess.

What cars are they using for this series? I take it Channel 4 and goalpost head Coulthard have somehow landed the rights to broadcast live?

it might be a publicity wet dream to make it into F1, however the budget required to even fart in the pits these days is so unrealistic, I just think people look at it and spend the money elsewhere.

There's nothing from the FIA stopping women racing in other formula, and I think a better scenario would be to make it possible for female drivers to compete in this new series against their peers but also to compete in the already established formula. I think the whole progression needs to be worked on across the board to prevent a number of factors, including making it more difficult for Pay Drivers to just buy a seat in Formula 1 but also to prevent the abuse of drivers being tied to a manufacturer, look at Ocon, he's clearly good enough to be in Formula One but he's looking like he could be spat out of the system because he's tied to Mercedes. Obviously such a partnership has its advantages but how many drivers has the Red Bull program spat out over the past decade? 

• Upvote 1

as a hot button topic: would fans accept a trans driver? Would a team give a seat to a driver who identifies with a gender other than the one assigned at birth?

1 minute ago, wev said:

Why wouldn't/shouldn't they?

I'm not saying they wouldn't or shouldn't. I'm asking if that is where the sport is? Or does the politiking of drivers and money make it any more/less likely?

I figured it was more akin to the "openly gay footballer" question, than anything else. that, regardless of "ability", would there be factors that preclude it?

Personally I just want to see the best drivers race flat out against each other in the best cars whoever they are.

I find the need for the women only series a bit depressing but if it increases interest and the pool of available drivers then maybe we can do away with it in 10 years. Shit will change but it will be slow. Motorsport is still a boys club. 

• Upvote 4

I'd love to say the answer is yes, but sport doesn't evolve as quickly as other walks of life, be it right or wrong.

In the same way that the NFL is going through issues with race (#imwithkaep), I think F1 would try to avoid trans.

At the same time, the monetisation / business aspects of the sport cannot be ignored.  Much as I was eluding to with women, something different can be a marketing blessing.

I think this is as much about how presentable a person is as anything else - purely from a marketing perspective, not visual.

We see Nike taking on Kaepernick because the controversy has given him exposure, which in turn is good for marketing (and they may also support his cause...).

I don't think that, in today's world, a trans person would do that though.

Then there is the global aspect.  Trans is perhaps ok, I don't know, but openly gay, in some of the countries F1 ventures into, could cause cultural, political (...religious) problems.

In summary, I'd love to see it happen.  Providing the talent is there, i'd love to watch anyone race. 

In reality... we haven't really seen a women yet - and that's near 50% of the world's population available in the drivers pool.  Heck, as far as diversity goes, Lewis is pretty much the first black driver after all.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Freeman said:

Surely, it's back in the infant formula, or even karting that this sort of thing needs to happen.

That's the key for me. They basically need to be aiming campaigns at primary school kids, because to my understanding the situation is "If you're not racing go-karts competitively by your 10th birthday it's too late".

6 hours ago, Freeman said:

That's the key for me. They basically need to be aiming campaigns at primary school kids, because to my understanding the situation basically is "If you're not racing go-karts competitively by your 8th birthday it's too late".