SeanR          		21  15  12   9  20   8  14  19  11  15  20  17    181
MrPogo         		12   6   8  13  25  15   6  21   6  16  19  31    178
JPR            		21  18  13   4  20  12  29  12  10  13  10  13    175
Fragglerock    		16   5  14  17  19  10   5  17   5  20  18  29    175
Bogievan22     		 0   5   7  20  21  21   5  20   6  12  24  28    169
Wev            		16   5  15   4  12  16  16  13   6  35  10  13    161
Baring         		13   6  12   5  12  16  12  23   5  16  19  11    150
SharkyOB       		13   9  17   9  11  12   9  12   5  26  15  11    149

I thought I had a good week until I saw what @Sidewaysbob got!  Well done Bob.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, wev said:

Anyone watch on C4? What was DC on about when he kept bringing up the Ferraris "wierd venting"?

Martin Brundle briefly mentioned on Sky that they always seem to have smoke/steam coming out the rear light cluster for reasons unknown.

Think I saw similar from one of the Sauber when the cars were behind Karuun Chandock in the pit lane too.

• Upvote 1

Actually turns out it’s not unknown, other than Ferrari engined cars seem to produce a lot more of it, more they put the pipe in a different place to most other teams, in the lights rather than by the main exhaust.

275DDA7E-81F9-4086-BC07-E55CA9D54C0C.jpeg

CF1F79FD-1EEE-4166-A84A-C3440018F88A.jpeg

• Upvote 1

I think it's something to do with this rule change to prevent them ejecting excess oil into the airbox for extra power. They now have to vent it somewhere that it won't get combusted.

21 hours ago, kiroquai said:

They might let him off because the drivers involved ended in the positions they should have been, but yeah - cannot understand Sky harping on about Vettel being at fault when Bottas locked his tyres trying to funnel into a gap that wasn't there and hit the rear end of Vettel's car.

I saw this differently to be honest. Was there any need to crowd Bottas in the way that he did? He's just putting himself at risk, isn't he? Every other pass around the outside that I can remember from that race left ample space for the inside car. I'm not saying it's worthy of a penalty or he was directly at fault, it just seemed unnecessary and risked a collision for no reason.

9 hours ago, John0 said:

I saw this differently to be honest. Was there any need to crowd Bottas in the way that he did? He's just putting himself at risk, isn't he? Every other pass around the outside that I can remember from that race left ample space for the inside car. I'm not saying it's worthy of a penalty or he was directly at fault, it just seemed unnecessary and risked a collision for no reason.

It’s the standard Vettel chop, he isn’t very good against top cars/drivers and does this a lot - sort of ‘well if you hit me I was in front’ thinking that has led to lots of unnecessary damage and his leading from the front stigma.

• Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

It’s the standard Vettel chop, he isn’t very good against top cars/drivers and does this a lot - sort of ‘well if you hit me I was in front’ thinking that has led to lots of unnecessary damage and his leading from the front stigma.

Personally I think he put that to bed years ago. He races and overtakes far, far better than he did in the RB days.

IMO it was Bottas that put his car into a dangerous position. The corner was already lost and he kept the boot in.

1215280946_ScreenShot2018-07-30at22_47_22.thumb.png.afc3f3d92a8d194e5f5503ee0538db49.png

Look at his positioning. He was never going to make the corner from there. Contact was inevitable. If Vettel had taken a wider line the contact would still have happened, just a few tenths later.

Imagine no other cars were there, just Bottas. And for some reason his is the line he has chosen. By taking that line and entry speed Bottas or any other driver for that matter is always going to end up off the track, on the Rolex advert. 

Poor driving from Bottas.

• Upvote 2

Vettel is taking a much narrower line and could easily have taken Bottas around the outside if he'd left him space. You only have to look at KImi's car to see how far off the racing line is and Bottas was never going to be able to stop in time on the dusty part of the track with completely worn tyres. It's not as bad as Ricciardo's pass where it was obvious Bottas was going to end up understeering into him as soon as he got alongside. Vettel is very lucky he didn't get a puncture from the contact and it was a racing incident but it's another example of Vettel taking an unnecessary risk when he didn't have to. 

• Upvote 1

Yeah I'm in agreement with Ryodi here, both drivers were in totally the wrong position but the above picture doesn't show how aggressively Vettel turned into the corner at that point to hit the apex. Both drivers were massively off line and it was a risky move by Vettel, he does seem to have more a blind spot when finishing an overtake than the rest of the front runners.

Meanwhile McLaren, Williams and Renault have combined to try and block the sale of Force India.

Fuck all of them.

• Upvote 3

Formula 1 teams are so fucking petty, couldn't give two shits about all the people that could be layed off.

I also didn't realise that other teams had any say over who owned another team?

14 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Isn't that something that can be used as a sort of long-term strategy though? If you make a reputation as someone who won't leave room, others will think twice about challenging. Didn't Senna make a thing of this, almost purposefully driving into others if they didn't drop back? People seem to leave Ricciardo a lot of room now too in case he dives in late.

Bottas has probably established the opposite reputation really, which might be why Vettel chanced it.

1 hour ago, wev said:

Formula 1 teams are so fucking petty, couldn't give two shits about all the people that could be layed off.

I also didn't realise that other teams had any say over who owned another team?

They don't as such, but those 3 voted to block the new owner being considered the same team, so Force New Delhi will be considered an entirely new entrant into F1 and will miss out on prize money for at least 2 years.

This of course makes the team massively less valuable and much harder to sell.

18 hours ago, mexos said:

Personally I think he put that to bed years ago. He races and overtakes far, far better than he did in the RB days.

IMO it was Bottas that put his car into a dangerous position. The corner was already lost and he kept the boot in.

Look at his positioning. He was never going to make the corner from there. Contact was inevitable. If Vettel had taken a wider line the contact would still have happened, just a few tenths later.

Imagine no other cars were there, just Bottas. And for some reason his is the line he has chosen. By taking that line and entry speed Bottas or any other driver for that matter is always going to end up off the track, on the Rolex advert. 

Poor driving from Bottas.

I haven't watched the crashes since Sunday, but at the time I thought with both that Bottas didn't have anywhere else his car could be (those overtaking were preventing him from being anywhere near the racing line) and the drivers passing him knew they were taking a risk by leaving so little room when his tyres were pretty much fucked.

23 minutes ago, wev said:

Yeah what the fuck is that all about? That's a huge obstacle to attracting new teams

Bernie-Ecclestone-Middle-finger-2-1.jpg

Apparently it’s about power in the sport, some of the prospective buyers are a bit too cosy to Mercedes for somes liking and there are concerns it will become a Mercedes B team.  The way Haas (and Sauber but less so) has risen so quickly and cheaply by becoming more closely linked to Ferrari is what is worrying the more independent teams, so they are trying to resolve it now before the sale goes through and it possibly becomes a reality that can’t be undone.  Unfortunately the people’s livelihoods at Force India have become embroiled in another shit show that is the F1 way of doing things which is petty tantrums and idle threats, this will be a real test of Liberty Media and whether or not they are different in more ways that glitzy screen graphics.

I'm not sure he's slagging off Haas but it's well worth noting they've played the game on easy by constructing as little of the car as possible and having enough financial backing on entering the series that it didn't matter too much that they had to wait for a cheque from the FIA/Liberty.

And it still wasn't easy for them.

The only way to enter F1 is to essentially have a billion to burn.

I don't mean blurie specifically, I mean in general the attitude towards Haas has been terrible despite the fact that teams have tried to come in and essentially stunk the place out through no fault of their own. It's a crock of shit, you might as well just go into F2 or Formula E.

Bottas went deep into the corner, just like he did with Riciardo, not adjusting for the conditions, e.g his frazzled tyres and the positioning of the other car.

In the above shot, Kimi isn't on the racing line, he is heading towards the outside line than some use for overtaking, to avoid the inevitable contact due to Bottas' positioning.

Also, what difference does it make whether Vettel is on the racing line or not?  If all cars took the racing line, there would be no overtaking!

Should Vettel have left him room? Well, common sense says probably, but as the on-board replay shows he checked his mirrors (you see his helmet pointing to the left, then looking ahead as he takes the corner) and Bottas was dropping back.

Bottas then decided to brake late and got closer to Vettel, basically driving into the pointy end of a triangle - never going to work.

McLaren, Williams and Renault blocking the sale of Force India.

No surprises there either.  FI are ahead of the 2 British teams, and can end up beating Renault too, so financially there is obvious motivation, add in the usual F1 petty crap, and this is the result.  The fact that FI can do so well with a non-existent budget should be (and is!) a complete embarrassment to all 3 other teams too.

F1 has lost enough teams from the back of the grid, without loosing a decent mid-fielder now too.  

I wish them the best of luck, and hope they can find a buyer, and it all goes through ok, and that they end up ahead of the 3 teams above in the constructors championship too... 

....and I'm back on to F2 again as I've now caught up / watched the last 2 races.

If you have a Sky F1 sub, and don't watch any F2, do yourself a favour and record a race.

Hungary was the perfect example.  Boring F1 and a pair of fantastic F2 races - ok you could argue the first one was down to the weather, but either way, it's fast enough, they can follow, they can and do overtake, and try to overtake pretty much anywhere a car would fit.

Ricciardo to Renault apparently.

Did not see that coming!

This will shake things up if it turns out to be true.

So would that mean

Gasly --> Red Bull

Sianz --> McLaren

??